Double D style grow with 45 Gallon pots of soil with compost teas

• Thread starter happyinmendo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

happyinmendo

I like this style grow with the 40'' centers so I decided to try it out and see how it works.

I am looking for ideas on what to use to drain 45 gallon pots which are 24" wide indoors and drain them outside the area to a central location to be dealt with mechanically.

The idea is for 45 gallon Double D in measurement style with soil for simplicty and to do trials on compost teas and a few other additives to help the process exponentially.

I was wondering what you guys may come up with as I have found a few ideas but they are rather pricey and would love to get some ideas that may be cheaper.

Basically water heaters pans and these washing machine pans are what I have found. Both have 1" outlets to plumb.

Here is what I have come up with.

I'm going to build some decking for it to set on made of 2x6" and notch out one section for the 2" plumbing to come through to drain it out.

I would post this in the vertical forum but I think it will be an interesting accessory if it works well to give people options who are interested in this style of growing without the tremendous expense of all the pumps and chillers, etc.

A

antimatter

Rubbermaids with drain hose plumbed in or Trashcan in a Trashcan with drain hose plumbed in the bottom can.

O

OregonMeds

I don't think you'll like the results yield wise if you have been watching these guys, but I would use corrugated roofing 12' sheets with a slight tilt and drains at the ends.

You should really be doing at least ebb and flow or something better than soil productivity though, hell do it in coco drain to waste if you have to, it's easy as can be.

With the high electric you have to throw only to add up such a tiny gram per watt return... hmmm.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

you will get good plants, but this isn't DD style, it is vertical.

this is why I put up a suggestion thread for a vert specific forum here at The Farm, it is needed

good luck on your grow, I grow vertical, with soil and vertical I like 5 gallon buckets with 7 to 10 plants around a thouie myself. my buddy uses 30 gallon grow bags and sits those in ebb and flow trays for drainage

H

happyinmendo

Haha... everyone is saying the same thing! That makes me laugh, but hopefully my years of chemical farming are over and I have found a better way to deal with growth with less effort and same rate of speed. I truly believe this will grow as fast as it does in hydroponics/ nft. We shall see. I'm seeing one thing in all my readings. Every single Guiness book of world records holding vegetable is grown in soil with organics and applied compost teas. Every single one!

I want to run soil only but I'm mainly wanting to see what the compost teas are going to do to the situation.

Trust me guys you haven't gotten the sap readings on this stuff and when you do you'll rethink a lot of things!

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I am wishing the best also, I am all about organics and make teas myself, I certainly can learn a thing or three about teas and want to so if you will, do you want to share what brews you plan on doing?

I just wish we had a vert forum already here!

H

happyinmendo

The products I use are AG products right now. I'm going to use these for the preliminary tests and in the meanwhile I'm going to get a compost heap made up and spray it initially with this stuff and then as it breaks down use it to inoculate everything.

At the moment unless you live in my local area it may be hard to source the products I'm using specifically.

Here's the general breakdown though:

Humega Humic Acid
Pound It - Fulvic acid / seaweed or kelp
Soil Builder - Bacteria and fungi cocktail in dormant stage
Biolink soil food web activator

I'll see if I can find the label on the soil builder. Its from Texas that's all I know at the moment.

These can be used brewed or unbrewed with great results in short order.

I use biolink 333 and cal/mag products too.

The soil should be amended and not need it but I use it for foliar sprays outdoors.

gisisi

gisisi

Trust me guys you haven't gotten the sap readings on this stuff and when you do you'll rethink a lot of things!

Don't be coy. What are you talking about?

H

happyinmendo

I was in the 2000ppm range and was up into the 4-5k range after starting the tea program and the plants and dry product came out the best yet of 3 years. I have been following closely with meters in which I am going to buy a set of my own this year to really follow up but the person that was doing the sap samples had several people to do routine samples and saw across the board the same thing. Salts had a ceiling, the teas made organic materials and salts available at a new spiked high in sap levels of individual readings of N and K samples. We are talking in their sap not in the soil.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hotay, I'm gonna set this one and see how it goes.

I have one question for you right now--who's moving all that dirt?

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

I'm interested...

I'm running a coco based soilles mix on 40" centers...

You should let me try out some of your recipe's...

I'd love to see organics give some of these hydro set ups a run for their money...

Check out the new lab...

Send me a message when you hit 50 posts...

H

happyinmendo

Haha.. sea is that a joke... you said all that dirt... try 75 yards in 3 days... I'm sure I can handle like 2-3... probably in about 10-20 minutes.

I'm not scared of a little work... I look forward to the show down. I'm actually afraid of not working. I think I have a disease called Can't sit still.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
YOU'RE HIRED!

Dave's gonna be getting the fencing and security installed in the next two or three weeks and here I am with two spots that need filling. What could be better than a couple of big-ass Smart Pots (I'm thinking 200-300gal)? But the dirt needs to be moved.

We'll feed and coffee you up all you like, and we even have a very nice guest room. You can bring a certain lady!

You totally remind me of my mother. Imagine yourself at 71, not sitting still.

What did you decide on for drain pans?

H

happyinmendo

Plumb up washing machine pads, I haven't made it to home depot so unless the concrete pans work better or are cheaper, etc. That is probably the route I'll go.

I wish I could make it out, several weeks ago I would have done it no problem. I have been grinding it, I got a veggie garden that is actually taking up a large amount of my time because the tomatoes I planted are doing really shitty. I need to figure out what is going on.

I'm starting to worry that the damn oak tree is poisoning them. Fuck oak trees. I'm about to turn it into fire wood. Going to get soil tested, fertilizer delivered... turn it in the dirt... oh man... the list goes on, I'm single now too, and I have to clean up my house for guests over memorial day.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It seems like you can't grow anything other than manzanita and weeds under oaks, HIM. If the tomatoes are anywhere near the oak's root zone then they're being hit with allelopathy, i.e. chemical warfare. If they're in a planter then it's something else.

"Fuck oak trees." I dare you to go to Berkeley and say that! :doh

Wait a minute! You're single now?

Hire a Merry Maid. Seriously, there's nothing like having someone else do the cleaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom