Double ended HPS reflector for normal height room?

• Thread starter bibbles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bibbles

bibbles

From what I've heard and subsequently believe to have confirmed, the Gavita/e-Papillon lights won't work very well for my set up (they're better suited to tall ceilings), but I'd still like to work with a double ended HPS lamp! I'm doing two 4x8 beds side by side in a room with a regular eight foot ceiling, and while there don't seem to be many options for other reflectors, there's also a lack of information on the few available from what I've seen.

Any opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated! :D

jaredman

jaredman

i am about to use the ac/de hoods with the same set up pretty much. are your table going to be end to end? so 4x16? hopefully it will work well im gonna put 3 of these over each 4x16 with tow rows in each room and some drop bulbs also. the nice thing about these is they are air cooled.

bibbles

bibbles

Side by side with a small gap for access; I decided on the Agrotech Magnum DE, two over each table, the only uncertainly left is which ballast to use. I like the SolisTek Matrix and Galaxy Logic for the time being, eliminates the need for timers and reduces the impact of firing.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

+1 for baba's input. Much luck running those with tight ceilings. dont forget there is such thing as too much light aka light bleaching... do your homework before purchasing is my biggest suggestion. much luck to all, hope it works tits. you can get ahold of reps pretty easy, i suggest a phone call or email atleast

bibbles

bibbles

as far as I know the Gavita remote ballast is the only one besides the Powerbox digital bally that can fire a DE bulb....
https://www.facebook.com/solistek/posts/782082265138423?stream_ref=10

Solis Tek claims they work on DE lights.

Not from the mouth of Lumatech themselves, but not the only retailer making the claim (verbatim).

It's some bullshit trying to find info because double-ended is so often abbreviated to "DE". :/

EDIT:

This is also suppose to be designed for DE lamps.

Last edited:
ohgee kush

ohgee kush

i am about to use the ac/de hoods with the same set up pretty much. are your table going to be end to end? so 4x16? hopefully it will work well im gonna put 3 of these over each 4x16 with tow rows in each room and some drop bulbs also. the nice thing about these is they are air cooled.
Have you started using the ac/de hood yet? How are you liking it so far. Hows the light coverage on them?

jaredman

jaredman

Have you started using the ac/de hood yet? How are you liking it so far. Hows the light coverage on them?
no but i bought them already. just getting the rooms framed out now and gettin the elec all worked out. hopefully within the weekend all will be wrapped up. then still gotta veg the ladies up to size so still got a while.

ohgee kush

ohgee kush

@jaredman
Let me know how you like the foot print/coverage of the AC/DE hood. Did you get a good deal on them? They're a little pricey

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I think all the digi ballasts might fire the DE bulb but im not sure they will run them at the proper voltage to get optimum results.Remember the philips bulb is 400v and somehow the ballast converts 240v to 400v with the gavitas and epaps(unless thats some kind of marketing bullshit,lol).I dont see how they could fire a normal bulb and fire a 400v bulb too unless they have some sort of switch like we see with 120/240 ballasts (except 240/400v) or they are designed expressly for 400v,philips manufactures the bulb and calls for 400v as far as i know so how it runs on just 240v only would be a great question for philips because i would not beleive anything the ballast manufacturers say about it,we know their end game,sell more ballasts!
Here is a blurb from philips,"This specialized bulb WORKS ONLY in 1000-WATT 400-VOLT COMMERCIAL GRADE BALLASTS"

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

I think all the digi ballasts might fire the DE bulb but im not sure they will run them at the proper voltage to get optimum results.Remember the philips bulb is 400v and somehow the ballast converts 240v to 400v with the gavitas and epaps(unless thats some kind of marketing bullshit,lol).I dont see how they could fire a normal bulb and fire a 400v bulb too unless they have some sort of switch like we see with 120/240 ballasts (except 240/400v) or they are designed expressly for 400v,philips manufactures the bulb and calls for 400v as far as i know so how it runs on just 240v only would be a great question for philips because i would not beleive anything the ballast manufacturers say about it,we know their end game,sell more ballasts!
Here is a blurb from philips,"This specialized bulb WORKS ONLY in 1000-WATT 400-VOLT COMMERCIAL GRADE BALLASTS"

As far as the how can a ballast with 240v input power have 400v at the bulb is possible by stepping up the voltage in simple generic terms or something similar to a transformer.
The 120v/240v input power switch you are talking about on magnetic ballasts just switching one of the hot feed wires from the 120v or 240v wire that goes to the core of the ballast
On a digital ballast its done the same way but digitally and most digi's automatically recognize 120v/240v input power. It's how digital works!!! ( have fun with that one) .
I spent many years installing car stereos and digital ballasts remind me of digital car amplifiers, mosfet transistors switching on/off at high frequencies and analog to digital convertors

bibbles

bibbles

From what I've heard elsewhere, the Philip's GreenPower DE lamp should only be used with the Gavita/Epaps stuff, but the other DE lamps can be used with either those or the new, sexy, unlabeled ballasts like the Grow Amp, Power Box, and Lumatek models, plus the new Ushio may put out more than the GreenPower, which itself apparently may be ending production.

Disclaimer: Most of these people were trying to sell me shit, or company reps, but hey!

I think I'm going to overpay for the Gavita remotes just to be sure, and future-proof, but I'm less sure than ever... what's going to replace the GreenPower if it is at the end of it's line? I couldn't find Philip's phone number to ask and confirm. :/

Billyboat

Billyboat

Interlux from dl wholesale also makes a de bulb...

I run a lot of their interlux 1000 watters

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

as far as I know the Gavita remote ballast is the only one besides the Powerbox digital bally that can fire a DE bulb....
I notice in the testing a lot of the ballasts will fire it up, I wish they would test gavita pro 1000 ballast(400v) vs. Other ballasts on ac/de hood so we could see the difference between the ballasts instead of bulbs as its already accepted that de> se bulbs as far par output. That and I wish they'd do some testing on a dimmed de bulbs par output. http://growershouse.com/blog/best-indoor-grow-light-test/

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

Im leaning towards the The Phantom 1000w DE . It has a 4K start up , and will drive the newer DE Ushio bulbs to my understanding ? My biggest question is what hood to buy , seems like you want to slam these things as close to the ceiling as possible . . the ACDE hoods looks novel , but they drop you at least a foot off the ceiling to start with .

Anyone running the DE's with an Adjusta'wing type hood ?? You could open that baby up and get decent vertical coverage too me thinks ?

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

Ok , well after finding a few comparison studies , it seems like the AC/DE is the way to go . So that's what I decided on . 4X8 gorilla with the height extension and 2 of these bad boys W/Ushio super reds & Phantom 1000 DE ballasts : ) .... its gonna be bright :cool:

ohgee kush

ohgee kush

Cant go wrong with the AC/DE hood, the boss hood is also really good.

Top Bottom