Double ended HPS reflector for normal height room?

• Thread starter bibbles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G gnome

G gnome

I just pulled the trigger on 3 ac de hoods. I went with the sunlight supply 8". I only got 8' ceilings. We'll see how it goes...

lollipopman

lollipopman

What sort of yield increase have

seen?
How much hotter do they run?
How far from the canopy do you keep the fixtures?
Yield idk yet just harvested my 1st de setup, from the looks yield went up, on heat my room went up 5degrees and on distance had them about 28 inches... But I'm running same lumatek ballast with digimax bulb

G gnome

G gnome

Yield idk yet just harvested my 1st de setup, from the looks yield went up, on heat my room went up 5degrees and on distance had them about 28 inches... But I'm running same lumatek ballast with digimax bulb
Thanks for the info brother

Funtcas3

Funtcas3

I think it will operate, only poorly and not give you the full spectrum. Also may cut the lifespan of the bulb.
Actually since the Galaxy operates at 70hz, it can power the bulb no problem. ive seen ppl strike Gavita 400v bulb on lumatek digitals but they have to use the super lumens switch. But, the Galaxy grow amp can strike the Ushio with no problems. Galaxy now makes a DE ballast running at 105hz which I just found out.

Reaper

Reaper

Anybody see or better yet use one of these yet? Supposedly lamp temperature is / was an issue with running DE bulbs because you can't simply blow air over them for cooling because that hurts light spectrum... Bulb never reaches correct operating temp. This reflector is supposed to efficiently cool without decreasing lamp efficiency.
I would love to use this in my 5x5 Gorilla Grow Tent with Extension...

Measures 23" x 34" x 13" from what I can tell, close to the Magnum XXXL 6" vent that I use now.

Sunlight Supply AC/DE® Air-Cooled Double-Ended Reflector 8 in.

Sl

"The patented sealed optic technology allows removal of heat generated by the lamp without cooling the lamp. Made specifically for double-ended horticulture lamps
The AC/DE’s patent pending design allows removal of heat generated by the lamp without cooling the lamp below proper operating temperature. 95% reflective textured German aluminum interior with 98% reflective corner inserts offer excellent uniformity, output and diffusion."

Last edited:
S

SplooshKush

Hello Everyone,

any further information on this? I'm setting up something similar real soon and would like to know how has it gone for those with 7-8' ceilings

Boddhisattva

Boddhisattva

If I am running my gavitas on a 240volts and want too reach 277 volts for optimal spectrum, does
this mean there is a transformer in the gavita ballast that gets me the extra 37 volts?

Freshone

Freshone

You either have a 120/240 ballast or a 277v ballast,you can't run a 240v ballast at 277v.I think those are for three phase (commercial only)power.
You are also mistaken about the spectrum,the bulb doesn't know the difference between 120/240/277,works the same on all of them.

Boddhisattva

Boddhisattva

You either have a 120/240 ballast or a 277v ballast,you can't run a 240v ballast at 277v.I think those are for three phase (commercial only)power.
You are also mistaken about the spectrum,the bulb doesn't know the difference between 120/240/277,works the same on all of them.
Thank you for clearing that up. I do have 3 phase power with my Gavita 1000 de pros. My ceiling height is 10'. I have
15 gavita pros over a 600 sq ft area. I think I may be seeing some burning due to the fact that the room is so lit and the
reflection may be elevating my nanometer range for photosynthesis too occur? I do have max fans tumbling the air from
the ground up on all four walls. My co2 is on point at 1000. Lights are 4' from canopy and my VPD is on point. Why the
burn? Is there a meter I can buy that shows my nanometer readings

L

Lothbrook

My understanding of a true DE ballast and light systems is that they run solely off of 240v supply, and upconvert to supply the bulb at 400v vs other common inferior ballasts that supply at 240v and I belive but I am also unsure that the 400w and 600w possibly supply the lamp at less then 240v, which I don't use in anyway. So I don't know.
But a true 1000w de ballast supplying at 400v converting to 1000w is more efficient the say a "fake" de ballast like a phantom de, or hortilux gold for example that only supply the lamp at 240v which is the standard for se bulbs, and even though they will fire up a de bulb you will not get the same amount of umol or par as you would from a 400v system, as efficencey is lost during the larger conversion. In my opinion a de lamp operating at a 240v supply is not much better then a standard se lamp....barely worth the investment in my opinion. The only thing that makes a de bulb on a 240v supply ballast better is the fact that the bulb is attached at both ends closer to the supply vs a se bulb one end is close to the supply while the other end (furthest from the mogul) is fed back to the supply/mogul with the bar you see in the bulb thus losing a little bit odd energy... some manufacturers try to claim that they are so much better because the supply bar can be between the inner bulb and the plant... which can be avoided by looking and turning back a half turn and pointing the bar towards the center of the reflector. If the bulb seems loose in any way then loser the socket and rotate it and attach it back to the reflector... so while there is a little gained running a de on a 240v ballast, this is not what makes the true de set up so great... it is the fact that the 400v set up. I always try to investigate greatly before I spend, and I was misinformed by one of the manufactures of a mentioned ballast company....maybe he didn't understand what he was saying or that he felt the need to hide this information as he didn't want this to get out consequently losing potential customers...after learning the truth I explained how this works to him, and he seemed so great full for the explanation... So I emailed the same guy asking the same question under a diffrent email a month later, and this time was told the same misinformation... so I belive him to be a liar rather then misinformed. Lessons learned..... investigate before you spend and don't belive anything that you hear from one single source.... even here.... please don't belive me.... look into it your self, I belive me.... but maybe I'm misinformed...lol

So all that said another fact I feel should be on the record is that DE bulbs can not be air cooled as they require minium temp to operate properly without losing umol/par. Sure there are excellent hoods like the sunlight ac/de that do not pass the air directly over the bulb but instead it passes air between a gap between the reflector and the hood, thus cooling down the hood and reflector and not the bulb.... does this remove as much of the heat at the other standard air cooled reflectors? Well that's your call.... I didn't believe so and I felt my money is best spent in other areas then a $300++ reflector like this... don't get me wrong there are best if that's what you application needs... say you have a certain equipment that does not allow this or that....once again it's your call how you spend ypu money.....

I like buying things, and testing diffrent ideas I have... I thrive off of it... I am always putting back into my garden... and why shouldn't I, they give me so much....

My favorite set up of the diffrent styles I've tried or currently run is my nanolux remote DE ballast set up which is a true DE Ballast that runs lamp at 400v at a varying range from 600w thru 1200w. The claim was 2100 umol that I tested and with certain lamps (which I like to test a variety of) I achieved as high as 2170 and I belive even more is possible with the right bulb.
So what I do is I use the
maxpar SE-DE bulb which is basically a 400v DE lamp altered into a se bulb.
Now you might be wondering why I go this direction and not just the standard de bulb.... the reason is that you can not air cool a de bulb... but these you can... best of both applications in my opinion... you can cram these into affordable air cooled reflectors with better results...
This is my opinion that I believe to be true... those that agree great... please confirm.... if I'm wrong in any aspect I would like to know, I am a fan of constructive criticism... it will only make me stronger...
I could talk about growing and equipment to do so for ever, but as this is my first comment ever on a forum I would like to see how this goes....
And No I am not a nanolux rep...lol
Honestly my only run in what the rep of the New York area... and I kinda of think he is a dink...
I agree with some products of all diffrent makes, and have tried alot. Just feel a responsibility to share knowledge as even though I don't post on forums, I do read them and I feel that too many that have knowledge let it go to there head, and should share more to help lift others up...

First ask yourself a question....then set out to find the answer thru trial, error and experiment.

What I am really excited about what's coming next... just got a bunch of new things to play with recently and I'm just lacking the time to set up.....

So sorry for any typos or bad grammar... I don't have the time to proof read....gf is complaining... I mean calling....lol

Boddhisattva

Boddhisattva

Thanks for the advice, I like your thinking on those Maxpar se de's, I'm going to tester light in one of my rooms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom