Double exhaust necessary???

• Thread starter Aquagrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Aquagrow

I'm ready to start cutting into my walls for both intake/exhaust exchange and needed some advice before putting my growroom "under the knife". I'm using a 6" coolable sealed reflector/1000 watt bulb x 1, coupled with an Active-Air 6" 400cfm inline fan.
Also, I have a Can-combo 170 cfm (33w/6"fan) to exhaust the grow room air. My intake fan is a Active-Air 465 cfm blower. Anyway.......my question is do I need to carve two different openings into the wall to exhaust both the reflector and the grow room air or can i run both into 1 opening using an elbow joint?????

Z

zoeronerer

generally the in or out needs to be double the size if passive or if u have two pushing together.....so i would do a @ least a 12" out if you elbow them.....but one fan will push harder than the other usually or you may have a different fan size so i usually give them a designated out...... also any angles in your line like the 90 on the t joint drastically reduces airflow i forget by how much but a significant percentage. so str8 shot is best hope that helps........my hvac friend gave me some pointers..

..oh and use insulated ducting cuts the sound and yer heat rise alot........8 feet on either side of the inline for silent operation...........stoners always have their own ducting ideas which r funny.....check some hvac sites or inline fans are used for range hoods in restaurants so there is alot of install info out there hope that helps someone.

A

Aquagrow

I just think there will be a significant increase in pressure at the point of diversion. Will this make my fan work too hard?

Z

zoeronerer

thats why i suggest the 6" to a reducer then to a larger pipe like the 12" then will flow nice or you do them into a plenum box to a large out. so no back pressure or trouble at diversion. you can buy the plenum box for cheap or build one out of wood(bob villa version)

.think 12" Y with the reducer on the end will do u good

aloha

A

Aquagrow

Huhh.....I did do quite a bit of HVAC research but I think your answer works better than anything I could find...thanks.

Z

zoeronerer

yeah i meen i just kind of modify things a little no need to make them to code....sometimes the sites give u a good idea....and sometimes its hard when yer in a warehouse staring at all this tin shit.......good luck have fun....

2fast4u2

2fast4u2

i have to ventilation ports cut into the ceiling, one for the lights and one for the active exhaust.

helps keep the temps dialed. Exhaust only comes on at a certain temp, while the lights always remain pretty cool.

A

Aquagrow

2fast4u,
What exhaust comes on at a specific temp...the active one or the "light" exhaust? Also, what is best to do with the other open end on my hooded lamp? I thought I would only need my can combo to eliminate odor from the exhast of my total grow space, but if i have one side of my hood without ducting wont that suck out room volume and odor as well?

R

Rolln J

2fast4u,
What exhaust comes on at a specific temp...the active one or the "light" exhaust? Also, what is best to do with the other open end on my hooded lamp? I thought I would only need my can combo to eliminate odor from the exhast of my total grow space, but if i have one side of my hood without ducting wont that suck out room volume and odor as well?

if your worried about smell (and who isnt) you run your hooded light as a closed system, it has its own duct fan and in / out vent...

but you could get away with doing that if your main can fan is overkill.

A

Aquagrow

I'm going to duct/exhaust my growspace and light air independently to simplify things.
Since I'm only running one sealed coolable hood...I'll have to duct the opposite "open-end" into a non-growroom area, so I won't have to mask or filter room odor twice.
I'm assuming if one side was capped off(never saw this done)the fan would not work properly.

A

Aquagrow

Last question and I'm abandoning this thread!!!!
Should I just go Can-Combo->Ducting->coolable hood/lamp->Ducting->inline fan->exhaust or do it the way I mention in my reply above??????
HELP I WILL BE INSTALLING TODAY!

R

Rolln J

the filter/can combo for it to keep up with the stink should remove the air in your grow 3x in 10 minutes - if your room is 8x10x8 then your total cubic feet is 640 so you want your fan to move 1920 cfm in 10 minutes

that 170 cfm fan would be better to use on your light but you will need to make sure your can filter is rated for the 400 or it wouldn't properly clean the air and could burn out the fan - so you MAY need a bigger can filter - this is one case where MORE is better. not even knowing how big your grow room is Id say the 170 is a bit small for controlling odor under a 1000 watt light. the 170 kit is more for closets and tent grows.

I use passive intake for my grow - but I have a 740 cfm 8" can/filter for the above mentioned size room and have cut three holes in the floor (I own my house) to bring the air in right across the table.

Top Bottom