Double Kindness bho butane recovery vacume unit

• Thread starter Double Kindness
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Double Kindness

Hello all, I know I don't have that many posts here, but I'm relatively active on other boards. I do a lot of breeding projects, which means a lot of seeded buds, and I want the seeds, and the molested seeded buds are perfect for making oil. My partner, who isn't on this board made this unit for me, it took over a year and half from idea to end product, with a few failures and alterations along the way. It wouldn't have been possible without my partners handy skills, being mechanically inclined as he is, a metal milling lathe and a tig welder.

In the bho extraction tube that we were using before, it would hold roughly about 90-120g of material, and I would run 3 large cans of vector butane through it, and of course all that butane just goes and boils off into the atmosphere. With how much material I go through 3 cans for say 100g of raw material and getting an average of 10-15% return in oil back was pretty decent I thought, but the cost of butane and the amount of material I have to run is quite high and labor intensive on top of it.

The new reclamation unit has a tank that holds the butane, there are a bunch of hoses and valves, a vacuum pump, everything is made from metal and is extremely heavy. I am able to run at least a qp (4 oz) of material at a time, and recovering roughly 25%, and only losing 1/4-1/2 a can of butane per run, average yield per run has been between 21-36g of nicely purged oil. The nice thing is that I can run the butane through the material as many times as possible, and recover the butane with the vacuum pump back into the butane holding tank which holds roughly 3.5 large cans of vector butane. Once in a while we do have to add a little more butane to top off the tank and keep it full for the unit to run properly, and it took us a few runs to really dial it in.

The screen I used on the bottom I bought for less than $4 at a head shop, it's the bottom out of a pollinator type grinder, and there is a copper ring that holds the screen in place, and can be adjusted for how much material that needs to be ran, although I have found out through trail and error it is just better to fill it all the way with material, but not pack it too tightly. My partner Duckmang is going to make me a shorter tube for smaller runs, instead of adjusting the screen up, as it seems a little of the plant material with the vacuum sucking the butane vapors etc can get in the final oil product.

The vacuum pump/set up was the most costly thing on this unit, which was fortunately gifted to us. There is a finite number of runs this particular unit will be able to do, but we don't know how many yet, but we have definitely put it through it's paces.

Each plant and mix of trim and buds produced a different type of oil. I usually make oil from whole buds and sugar leaves, due to the many breeding projects, I rarely do trim runs, but I do do them, as for every 2 breeding projects I do I'll do a multi strain sensimellia run, and I'm involved with several large grows and I tend to be the trimmer and I get to keep all the prime trim I want, bring it home and turn it into oil. As I'm in a legal state, I do have to keep within numbers and weight limitations, so it makes sense for me to condense my unsalable buds into oil, which as all of us oil smokers know is never a bad thing.

I will note that I grow semi-organically in coco in a sealed room with co2, and everything is automated, with the exception of cleaning and mixing the nutes for the reservoirs. As I'm pretty busy and have various medical conditions, and the best oil comes from the best material. I'm a little bit of an ocd control freak, so it's nice that I control everything from the genetics, growing, harvest, curing, extracting and even making edibles. Here because of my various medical conditions I go through a tremendous number of strains and phenos, it's not unusual to cull 70-100 strains per year from the garden, to find my magic bullets, because aren't we all looking for our own personal holy grails when it comes to the final smoke?

The run time for this extractor, from the time the tube is loaded with plant matter to final purge and smoking is roughly 2 hours, and is extremely labor minimal. We use a heat gun while pulling the vacuum on the metal tube holding the material that the butane is being run through to help the butane vapors and liquid to pull easier through the material, and the wonderful thing with the vacuum pump pulling the butane vapors back into liquid in the reclamation unit is that the final purge is so easy and quick.

Sorry I didn't upload pictures of the nice final purged material, I'll try to get around to doing that tonight or tomorrow. Before the final purge of the hawiian thai, it was very light amber in color and very foamy, after the final purge it became dark espresso in color, and can be handled with bare hands almost like full melt Moroccan hash but it's oil. The shishkaberry x ak-47 pheno 1 which was a whole bud and sugar leaf extraction was also very dark and espresso colored, but extremely runny and won't even freeze into a solid. The mystery sensi seeds female and the velvet hammer (blueberry x pure power plant) which were seeded also and I ran whole buds and sugar leaves came out more honey/amber in color, and an earwax more type consistency.

A friend who has a dispensary came over with some trash early popcorn buds and even with the extremely poor quality of the material after 2 hours the trash was turned into 14g of decent oil. I smoked some of it in the curve Hashmaster-kut sent, which btw is the best way I have found to smoke oil so far and I have gone through many different oil smoking devices, and it really does matter the quality of the material you put in to be run, because I gave that oil away, but then again, I'm a little bit o' a pot/oil snob.

Hashmaster-kut's curve really conserves the oil too, and it does reclaim the oil in the stem too, I've already had to take the female part out of my bong that's dedicated to smoking oil with the curve and drained about 2g of reclaimed oil, I smoked it and it was still better than the trash oil run I did for my friend.. LOL. With as much oil as I smoke and using the curve, still my throat can get a bit raw, so I make lollipops and hard candies with hash oil and everyone loves them.

I'll be at hashbash at the end of the month, I'm going to show off HMK's curve and our oils, so those red card holders in Colorado in the know come chill and smoke with me & Duckmang. I'm still working on the seed packaging and web site, and getting the infused products manufactures license, all which take a crazy amount of time, and resources. Sorry for the long post, smoked a bunch of hawiian thai oil and then a huge cup of coffee.

I don't have enough posts on this site to PM anyone, so keep that in mind when I don't get back to a PM. If anyone has any questions, comments or whatnot, feel free to ask. Have a kickass week!

Picture 001
Picture 002
Picture 003
Picture 004
Picture 005
Picture 006
Picture 007
Picture 008
Picture 009
Picture 010
Picture 011
Picture 012
Picture 013
Picture 014
Picture 015
Picture 016
Picture 017
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
let me be the first to say

HOLY SHIT!

thats where its at - very nicely done

said it before and Ill say it again - gotta love stoner ingenuity

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
what percentage of butane do you recover?

H

hedster44

Wow I could definitely go for a glob of oil that size. Way to go on that bro.

M

MTgrower

I guess you haven't seen the Tamisium?

I'm guessing he has. Nice to see a DIY version that actually has at least one improvement I see over the Tamisium (I own a complete TE 175). Why they chose to weld on the bottom of the bell and not do a clamp and gasket is beyond me.

Very cool. I would replace that hosing you have with braided stainless.

D

Double Kindness

This was a total DIY project. For ever qp of plant matter I run, I only lose about 1/4-1/2 a can of vector butane. So far I have run through only 1 1/2 cans of butane to run roughly over 10 lbs of plant matter, each qp of plant matter run taking 2 hours from beginning to final purge.

The idea I saw was originally on another forum by a member by the name of grey wolf.

At first we were going to use propane, then hexane, then threw around the idea of doing a co2 unit and settled back onto butane. We are working on plans to produce a few more of these babies, I will take into consideration the braided metal cords that control the flow of butane and the vacuum pump.

The big chunk of oil that was shown was the hawiian thai before the final purge, and as I put quality plant matter in to get the best oil, and able to run the butane and pull the vacuum through the material several times with losing very little butane to atmosphere for each run. Each run of the HT yielded 26-36g of purged oil.

I don't know how much those other units run to purchase, but I'm quite sure it's something I couldn't easily afford. Most of my resources go into growing and breeding projects, and electricity ain't cheap, even on 2 phase 220... and BTW I'm a girl.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Well if you do consider selling these, I know I for one would be interested in purchasing one.

S

spinkus

l second that CelticEBE

l go through quite a bit of butane, around a case of 12 a month. So something like this would work nice for me. Those other units are pretty expensive, like $1000. You make'm halfway affordable and you got a customer here

S

sfzoo

This is gonna be big. Finda way to make those cheap enough, and you'll have TONS of buyers. Make it small enough and multiply your reach.

SO sick, you 2 killed it. well done miss...well done.

M

MTgrower

Well if you do consider selling these, I know I for one would be interested in purchasing one.

They do sell them. The TE 175 (2 Oz. capacity) is about $1,300 with all the current options. The TE 700 (8 Oz.) is $4,295.

The Commercial, computer controlled units are $150,000.00

Tamisium is also releasing a bunch of new accessories for all the units.

http://www.tamisiumextractors.com/

Eden Labs is another option for high quality, lab grade extractors.

Not to dis your DIY. I love your version too! But, it would be expensive. However, I'm guessing if you tried to sell these units, you'd hear from Tamisium's lawyer. They have patents pending.. whatever that means.

S

spinkus

Yeah they sell them... but for $1000, which would still pay for itself eventually. But if they could make a few and sell them cheaper that would be great. Plus the oil looks like its alot easier to get out on theirs, but im speaking from looking at the pics, i've never used either

l doubt they would make enough of them, or enough profit for tamisium to get their panties in a bunch and sue or whatever over the patent. Plus their's they made has a different bottom totally than the tamisium, does that matter with patents? Or is it just the overall idea? lm not sure at all about that.

Either way make a couple more and sell one to me :)

M

Montannabis

Are there some skematics of how an oil extractor do their magic?

M

MTgrower

Yeah they sell them... but for $1000, which would still pay for itself eventually. But if they could make a few and sell them cheaper that would be great. Plus the oil looks like its alot easier to get out on theirs, but im speaking from looking at the pics, i've never used either

l doubt they would make enough of them, or enough profit for tamisium to get their panties in a bunch and sue or whatever over the patent. Plus their's they made has a different bottom totally than the tamisium, does that matter with patents? Or is it just the overall idea? lm not sure at all about that.

Either way make a couple more and sell one to me :)

I don't think Tamisium has actually been granted any patents, so it looks like "patent pending" has no real legal meaning. If they are awarded the patents, you can be certain they will get their panties in a bunch. In the meantime, you can sell them all you want.

I'm not a patent lawyer, so I don't know shit. But I'm guessing simply doing a minor change to the bottom (a better design than the Tamisium, by the way) doesn't change the way the system works. I'd imagine there are different types of patents.... some that protect overall ideas/basic functional designs, and some that protect specific parts and designs.

My brother is a lawyer, and while not a patent lawyer, he does hold a number of patents, so I think he would be a good source to ask about the specifics.

The TE 700 is much larger than the TE 175. While I still like the clamp version of the bottom, it is easy to reach into the bottom of the TE 700.

Regardless, I hope you don't have any legal trouble and I applaud your work. I'm curious though, if you had to put a price tag on a unit exactly the same as the one you are using now, what would it cost. Not the materials, but the total retail price. The closest competitor is the TE 700 with a $4,000 + price tag. And that price is not including the rotary evaporator and chilled vacuum chamber.

I'm just curious what your friend would charge a stranger for all that metal working and welding. It seems that kind of work isn't cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom