Double Kindness bho butane recovery vacume unit

• Thread starter Double Kindness
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Double kindness, or Graywolf....

I am presently making one of these for myself. For the lower evaporator area I used 6" dia x 1/2" wall tube, o-rings top and bottom.

For the plant material tube I grabbed some 3" dia. x 36" tube. I do have a ton of shake to run all the time and hate just wasting it. Every harvest I can fill the tube twice with ease (thoroughly dried material)
What are your thoughts on an upper tube this large?

I have all the other equipment as well, refrigerant recovery unit, butane tank with colibri butane. I ran a test run on my other butane recovery extractor, using just butane alone and was still suprised that I got some impurities even after pulling a vaccuum.

Any thoughts regarding the upper tube would be appreciated. Oh and also when filling extractor with butane...how do you know you have run the right amount of butane through it, so as not to overfill the lower portion of the extractor?
My old system has a high pressure sight tube to check levels....any thoughts of putting on of these in? -BB

budboy299

budboy299

Mcmaster carr has a 3" site tube for liquid levels that is pressure rated to 290psi @ 70F

I used that one before with no problems to let me know what was going on in my extractor. They generally run about 25 dollars, but I found it worth every penny to know where your butane level was at, and how close you were to finishing. Also you would hate sucking in liquid butane to go back to the pressure tank that had resin in it. That would really gum up the recovery unit quickly causing premature wear.

Site tube1
L

LikemindS

Wow way cool man, Ive been thinking of getting together with a friend of mine (who can actually make it) and doing something similar. Its awesome to see a pro DIY one here and looking GOOD! That looks like some sweet yummy gooy action yo :) ... How was the taste test?

L

LikemindS

Wow way cool man, Ive been thinking of getting together with a friend of mine (who can actually make it) and doing something similar. Its awesome to see a pro DIY one here and looking GOOD! That looks like some sweet yummy gooy action yo :) ... How was the taste test?

Sorry Sister More Power to Ya!
Chics Grow some of the best for sure, the ladies love their ladies!
:bow

E

eirk66

what pressure would you need to keep your vaccum at so you wouldn't suck up the wax?

budboy299

budboy299

I hate answering in another's thread but....DK doesn't seem to be here at the moment.

The lower tube or reservoir is actually an evaporation chamber. The liquid butane runs through the MJ in the top tube and collects in the lower tube.
Then it is ran under compression back into the butane collection tank (thing that looks like a propane tank) Only the butane evaporates and is deposited back into the collection tank and leaves behind anything that it dragged out of the MJ.

When I run my one system there is really not much of a vaccuum. I forget off hand but it is preset that once a vaccuum is established that the recovery unit shuts off. There is very miniscule butane left in the residue...basically nothing to speak of. I would guess that 90% of what butane is lost is when you disconnect lines etc.

The neat thing is that the lower the temp the easier it is to keep butane in its liquid state. Just off the top of my head I seem to remember that at something like minus .5 Celsius degrees butane stays liquid and could actually be carried around in a pail. I will try to dig up the chart on the temps/pressures to keep butane liquid.

M

madamlash

I'm not able to attempt to build a system but have a desperate need for one. I am attempting to extract dopamine from fava beans for the treatment of Parkinson's. Anyone who can build a system for a reasonable price... I'd sure like to hear from you.

wouldn't it seem a flawed unit if they are losing a 1/4 to half 1/2 can per run? Although it seems to work for them, I doubt there is any true engineering behind the design which means it is unsafe. Amazing how quickly people will jump at buying something that is cheaper just to save a buck.

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

Nice home unit but i wouldn't advice selling them without proper certification. You need to consult a lawyer about liability issues if you decide to go down this path.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm not a patent lawyer either, but I don't see how Tamasium could patent the process, though they have a nice machine and could patent features. If they were granted a patent, I don't see how they could defend it, given the published material on line prior to their offering their first unit.

FOAF's and my machines, as well as others were a fait accompli by that time. Where I see Tamisium's market window, is in passive units, which DK/DM's unit is not.

Patent applied for is a good way to keep folks out of your hair for awhile but it is difficult to fence everyone out before they fence you in and you need lots of money to defend even a granted patent.

What might be a major cost, is liability insurance. Even with a sound design, there is still potential for accidents when run by an idiot, or when things go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.....

Bootleg

Bootleg

At sea level, -45F butane is still in a liquid state. -44F butane starts to boil and it changes state. Again, this is at sea level, so under vacuum the properties change at different temperatures. Consult your gauges and a pressure/temperature chart. You can always weigh your holding tank at start and finish to make sure you have extracted all the butane. Be safe, and thanks for the great post!

Graywolf

Graywolf

At sea level, -45F butane is still in a liquid state. -44F butane starts to boil and it changes state. Again, this is at sea level, so under vacuum the properties change at different temperatures. Consult your gauges and a pressure/temperature chart. You can always weigh your holding tank at start and finish to make sure you have extracted all the butane. Be safe, and thanks for the great post!

n-Butane actually boils at -1C/30.2F and Isobutane at -11.7C/10.94F. You may have that confused with Propane, which boils at -42C/43.6F.

Goldenrod

Goldenrod

Getting too technical in here for my stoner brain. I must say tho t hats an awesome way to waste time at work. Damn that h a d to be fun to see work the 1st time after yall assembled it. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom