Double Stack Aero/DWC Flower Unit - Easy to build, high performance Hydroponics

• Thread starter ElGringoLoco
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

ElGringoLoco

DIY Double Stack Aero/DWC Flower Unit - Easy to build, high performance Hydroponics

Double Stack Aero/DWC Flower Unit

After trying many different growing systems, I had settled on my modified version of an Aero/NFT hybrid, The Mantis. One thing I noticed after many cycles with these systems, were the fact that the plants closest to the reservoir always grew bigger and stronger than the rest of the plants in the rails. When harvesting, I noticed that their roots always had grown into the reservoir, making it quite obvious that the plants love having at least some of their roots submerged in nutrient rich water. After many attempts at designing something that would replace the rail systems, I came across an easy, space efficient, and well performing setup that incorporates the benefits of both Aeroponics and DWC.

With this design, I place 4 plants in the 8"-12" height range, depending on stretch, which have already developed a healthy and long roots system. Within a week or so of launching those root make their way into the bottom reservoir and begin to grow crazy. The first iteration of this design, I incorporated a drain with a ball-valve, which yes, makes it easier to drain, but since I no longer drain my reservoir contents during the entire flowering period, it turned out to be pointless. Yes, I do not empty my flower reservoir during the entire flowering period. I fill with water every 3-5 days and add new nutes every 2 weeks. Yes, if I developed and issue I would flush and rinse, but thus far these systems work near as flawless as possible.

An added benefit of this design is the fact that by the time the first full reservoir gets below the level of the pump each plant's root system has made it into the bottom reservoir allowing the plants to weather a low water or power outage situation.

I feed nutrients (Cutting Edge Solutions) at between quarter and half strength, first feeding (1st 2 weeks) includes grow nutes, and lots of super cropping, folding branches inward to fill any open spaces. Here is where the 5 oz solo cups work magically. Due to the ridges on the cup, it can be perfectly pushed and locked into place in a 2" hole. Thus far this method have supported plants that have literally grown into mini trees, one plant which yielded nearly 4 dried ounces, and the cup/collar held it in place without issue.

I've run numerous strains in these, almost consistently yielding 2 ounces of dried bud per site (1K HPS), hence my nick-naming this unit the Double Stack "Half Pounder" ;)

This unit literally takes 15 minutes or less to build if you have all the pieces ready. Easy to build and easy to clean. Let's give it a shot, you know you've got the spare parts just laying around ;)

Items Needed:

(1) 250GPH pump or higher (I mainly use ECO396 Pumps)
(1) 2" Hole Saw
(6) 360 Degree Red EZCloner sprayers
(1) 1/2" slip to NPT
(2) 18 Gallon Rubbermaid Roughnecks (the darker color the better)
(4) 5 oz plastic Solo cups with ridges (bottoms removed)
(1) 11/64" drill bit
(1) PVC Cutter

1/2" PVC Slip Connectors:

(3) Tees
(4) Elbows

1/2" PVC cuts:

(1) 16"
(2) 7 1/2"
(2) 3"
(4) 6"

Steps:

1. Place lid on one of the Roughnecks, then place the second Roughneck on top of that. Eyeball the center of the bottom and proceed to make a 2" hole through the bottom of the top container and a matching hole on the lid of the bottom container. While you have the 2" hole saw go ahead and drill 5 holes in the lid of the top container in the pattern of a 5 on a die. The 5th hole is used as the feeding slot and can be kept covered with either a 2" cup/pot, or 2" plastic covers found at most box stores in the plumbing section. Cut 2 slits into the edge of the bottom container to fish the pump power cord through.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

2. Screw NPT/1/2" slip adapter into pump and firmly push the 16" piece of 1/2" PVC into other end of NPT. (If your pumps' connector is external it might be best to connect the adapter to the length of PVC first, then screw into pump to avoid breaking pump connector.)

attachment.php

3. Take the remaining PVC pieces and make an "8" with a PVC Tee at the center connected to the protruding PVC length connected to the pump.

attachment.php

4. Once you are sure that all the pieces fit together nice and snugly (I've found there is really no need for PVC glue, a good smack with a rubber mallet is more than enough to join the PVC pieces together), proceed to drill 6 holes for the sprayers. Clean out plastic debris, then screw in sprayers.

attachment.php

5. Assemble the PVC pieces, fill bottom reservoir with fresh H2O, load with four 8"-12" plants, add myco, enzymes, and nutrients, and you are off. When I am filing the bottom reservoir, I keep an eye on the bulge to tell when it's near full. Add water as needed, every 3-5 days, and add a fresh batch of 1/4-1/2 strength nutrients every 2 weeks. I like to amend with guano (Budswel) during the last 2-3 weeks for flavor and weight.

attachment.php

6. Plug pump into timer or relay set for 15 on/ 30 off. In all reality, if your room temps are good, you could run it 24/7.

Small footprint, emergency buffer, great results, easy clean-up and breakdown - what more could a gardener ask for?

Another benefit/feature: These systems are easy to rearrange and move around, which I do every 3-5 days when I add water. This helps the plants get good coverage from different angles.

Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 2
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 3
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 4
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 5
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 6
Double stack aerodwc flower unit   easy to build high performance hydroponics 7
mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome, how many 'double stacks' do you put under a 1k hps?

E

ElGringoLoco

@Mike - I'm currently running 4 Double Stacks under each 1K HPS

@ 4.D, MediMary - Thanks!

mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool, I was thinking about 4 would do the job.

What brand of myco and enzymes do you use?

E

ElGringoLoco

I use Rooters Myco (~$10 a lb) and Stress Zyme (Available at Wal Mart).

E

ElGringoLoco

Just some random shots of plants flowering in Double Stack units.

Dscf1283
Dscf1289
Dscf1290
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I see leaf tip burn, leaf curling and cupping. All common to recirculating rigs at about this time in flower- and it's likely to get worse because the runoff pH and ppms increases substantially.

I use an outboard rez, which makes changing nutes and checking on roots a lot easier, plus you give your girls additional room to grow.

hth

hth

M

moneyorlove

great idea, i just finished building my budget ez cloner so far they look great i was wondering if i could use the ez cloner system outside of cloning looks like i got my answer! :)

and i second the pvc not needing the glue a good tap and they'll stay in there place

Top Bottom