Dought stressing plants. When to do, and not to do.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Drought stressing, is it only for during flower, or is it beneficial thoughout the growth cycle. Looking for opinions on this front.

Dought stressing plants  when to do and not to do
chemistry

chemistry

End of flower to force a plant to finish, more so if your growing seed baring plants, can't see a reason for it in veg, as vegging is the art of growing the best plant you can to give the plant the best start to attain the best flower.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Back in the late 70s in the gorilla gardens we would stop watering a week or more ahead of harvest. Something about the plant secreting resin to protect itself. I realize times have changed. Back then I never saw anybody out with a loop and never heard of a try comb. When it started getting cold and it started turning purple it was time to get ready to harvest. Mostly eyeballing.With camp buzzing around we were just happy to get it into the trim house!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I can honestly say that back then I would sit in our garden and watch other peoples gardens being flown out in cargo nets underneath helicopters. These weren’t cartel grows. At that time of year, believe me, you slept with your boots on!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I can't think of any benefit to stress a plant at any time other than the last week or so?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think it would reduce yield too much.
Not if you do it correctly. UVB stresses the plant but its necessary for increased THC production. The more UVB it gets, the sticker it gets.
Far Red stress the plants structure and forces it to grow at a faster rate. Hmmm... Could it be that the plants require a certain level of stress to achieve their best production?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Not if you do it correctly. UVB stresses the plant but its necessary for increased THC production. The more UVB it gets, the sticker it gets.
Far Red stress the plants structure and forces it to grow at a faster rate. Hmmm... Could it be that the plants require a certain level of stress to achieve their best production?

Well I was referring to drought stressing, which is what the OP mentioned in his original post, which is lack of water. So I still think that would only slow growth and bud development.

Now the UVB and light stress with certain wavelengths is a different story.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Well I was referring to drought stressing, which is what the OP mentioned in his original post, which is lack of water. So I still think that would only slow growth and bud development.

Now the UVB and light stress with certain wavelengths is a different story.
Drought is not good for it. Never. Correct watering will do what 'drought' is supposed to.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Good stuff, One of the approaches I've taken to addressing that salt buildup issue it so keep my microbes engaged, so I spray the exteriors frequently, but I also alternate concentrated soluble humics/fluvics, I've really started ramping it up at the end, especially, but been using it thoughout the growth cycle also.

I used to use a fair amount of mojave gold yucca extract, and I still use it when needed, but recharge with humics/fluvics with it's biological chelating capacity. Should not only help with further buffering of the soil, and act as food source for the arbuscular mycorrhizae, and other fungi, but should also be helpful in delivering carbon source, when the plant needs it most. For that oh so important oil production, during the final ripening stage.

Especially in a contained grow, I think these sorts of methods actually increase the amount of free CO2 levels in the grow, though a natural mechanism.

Both the plant and the fungus benefit nutritionally in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis: The host plant enjoys enhanced mineral uptake and the fungus receives fixed carbon. In this exchange the uptake, metabolism, and translocation of carbon by the fungal partner are poorly understood.

This failure and the desire to understand and manage the cost of the symbiosis to the host plant have inspired interest in the carbon nutrition of AM fungi (for review, see Smith and Reed,

Although the nutrient transfer from fungus to host has been extensively studied, transfer of carbon from host to fungus and its subsequent metabolism and transport are poorly understood.

Previous studies have shown that fungal spores formed outside of mycorrhizal roots store carbon predominantly as lipids, with relatively small amounts of carbohydrate. Other recent findings on the transfer of nitrogen and carbon between plants linked by mycorrhizal fungi (Hamel et al., 1992; Simard et al., 1997; Nasholm et al., 1998) provoke questions as to what form(s) of carbon might be transferred from fungus to host....

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Let's not forget let's not forget the additional trikes generated by UVB. I was just reading about the carbon exchange from enzymatic action earlier today. Cool stuff.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Here's another on this subject, it's so poorly understood, but it's certainly a possible pathway under study... The hope is that it's creating some sort of feedback loop...

Furthermore, recent evidence even suggests that AMF carbon acquisition from host plants might directly increase rates of carbon fixation (Gavito, Jakobsen, Mikkelsen, & Mora, 2019), potentially by ameliorating end-product inhibition of photosynthesis

Greater C acquisition by AMF may enable further hyphal proliferation through soil and thus increase their assimilation of mineral nutrients and subsequently increase transfer to host plants. However, whether this hypothetical positive feedback is realized in AMF–plant symbioses is not clearly supported by the available data (Cotton, 2018).

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah unfortunately I don't see symbiosis happening anytime soon. Not with today's current level of Technology anyway

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Let's not forget let's not forget the additional trikes generated by UVB. I was just reading about the carbon exchange from enzymatic action earlier today. Cool stuff.
Yea, I've been using this type of t5 for awhile now, and I've noticed a significant bump in resin production, no doubts... I use this along with my LED setup using samsung 301H, osram 660's UV +IR The t5's increase the B range, which is especially important...

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yeah unfortunately I don't see symbiosis happening anytime soon. Not with today's current level of Technology anyway
I think of things along these lines... if the plant has low levels of light, it's going to grow more leaves, if it needs more root's, or stems, it produces them... It build's what the plant needs The plant will also shunt stuff, where it's needed at the expense of something else, especially during senescence. That said, if the plant got a ton of carbon sap sucking fungi attached to the roots, It's a safe bet, the plant is configured to produce lot's of carbon.... for it's glucose trade. That part is well understood.

When final ripening occurs, those oil's are filled with mostly... carbon. In all likely hood, the plant has a mechanism that will direct that excess production, to ripening, and cut it's fungal symbiants off their supplies, (if it's helpful) when it's simply convenient to do so, ie. shortly before death. Putting all of it's efforts (and excess carbon production) into flowering and seeding.

In my mind, plants aren't dumb.. They've been at this scheme for millions of years, It's a symbiotic relationship of survival. So they've adapted multiple systems to thrive under less than optimal conditions, ie. developed multiple pathways of getting something done. Feedback loops are a evolution of sorts. Just because we don't quite understand it all, quite yet, doesn't mean it's not happening, or possible. It simply might not be observed, or the mechanism underlying it, fully understood.

I like to hypothesize a bit, then put it to the test, and see if the end results are better. Wouldn't be the first time someone ever found something by accident.

Top Bottom