Downsizing

• Thread starter jadins_journey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Was just about to click the "buy" button on a hydro website for some parts to a new system I am building and I thought before I do maybe it would be a good idea to ask my fellow Farmers if the design is even going to work.

This is a 4 plant hydro system based on the designs of hereish (H-man) and doubled's. These 2 guys rock the world of hydro in my opinion, and this system is based solely on their work. Give credit where credit is due.

This is going to be a tent grow based on a Grow Lab 120 which was ordered Monday. I will be useing what came out of my 2.4k flower system for all the other parts (fans lights timers etc). The main question is the hydro set up, it's a re-circulating DWC system. 4 5gl buckets with a 2 gl bucket inserted into top lid to hold the plants. These 4 buckets will be connected to a supply line that is feed from a 30 gl resv that sits outside and below the tent. The buckets and supply lines are here, just trying to figure out the drain lines and how to connect them to the buckets. Supply lines are 1/2" so the drains should be 3/4", 1"?

Will be getting some pics up when the build actually takes place in the next week or so. Appreciate any inputs you guys have.

jj

S

SkyHi

Drain lines should be double the supply IMO, that goes for aquiariums too lol

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
That should be a great setup JJ. I think I'll have to agree with skyhi on the 1" return. Really I'm not recirc guy though, we all bow to DD's in that department. :D

Can't wait to see it in action.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
SkyHi 1" it is then, was afraid some body was gonna 1 1/4" or bigger. thanks

hererisssh thanks for stopping by, here are the two options I have for the buckets. Which do you think would work best?

jj

5 08 09 007
5 08 09 008
5 08 09 009
H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Hmm, because this is a recirculating concept I'd say the larger bucket is the better option because the hydroton will retain some moisture and the plants will get more from each flood. It may mean you have to water less often, say two times a day instead of three.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Hmm, because this is a recirculating concept I'd say the larger bucket is the better option because the hydroton will retain some moisture and the plants will get more from each flood. It may mean you have to water less often, say two times a day instead of three.

Appreciate the response H-man, was leaning towards the larger bucket myself. I've been toying with the idea of how to keep more of the root structure up closer to the plant while running the DWC buckets since I first tried your concept back last fall. That huge ball of roots hanging down in the water is great but can it be improved on?

My first DWC plants got top heavy and crashed, which is the main reason for trying the 2 gl buckets. I use window screen in my veg pots and the root structure that surrounds that little piece of screen wire in the bottom of the pot is amazing. Have a couple of designs in my head for trying the screen wire in the new system for flower. Not trying in re-invent the wheel, just hopeing to get it a bit more round.

jj

sdgrower

sdgrower

Was just about to click the "buy" button on a hydro website for some parts to a new system I am building and I thought before I do maybe it would be a good idea to ask my fellow Farmers if the design is even going to work.

This is a 4 plant hydro system based on the designs of hereish (H-man) and doubled's. These 2 guys rock the world of hydro in my opinion, and this system is based solely on their work. Give credit where credit is due.

This is going to be a tent grow based on a Grow Lab 120 which was ordered Monday. I will be useing what came out of my 2.4k flower system for all the other parts (fans lights timers etc). The main question is the hydro set up, it's a re-circulating DWC system. 4 5gl buckets with a 2 gl bucket inserted into top lid to hold the plants. These 4 buckets will be connected to a supply line that is feed from a 30 gl resv that sits outside and below the tent. The buckets and supply lines are here, just trying to figure out the drain lines and how to connect them to the buckets. Supply lines are 1/2" so the drains should be 3/4", 1"?

Will be getting some pics up when the build actually takes place in the next week or so. Appreciate any inputs you guys have.

jj

Does Herreish have a thread on this system? I looked but couldn't find it.
Very interested in this thread JJ. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Cheers!

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Does Herreish have a thread on this system? I looked but couldn't find it.
Very interested in this thread JJ. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Cheers!

This system is a combination of the ideas and designs of H-man and Doubled's, H-man has an awesome thread on the DWC bucket system and well you just have to see doubled's grow to appreciate his abilities.

All I want is a 4 plant grow in a sealed hood that rocks, figure if I can combine the ideas of these 2 guys I can't grow wrong LOL

jj

sdgrower

sdgrower

This system is a combination of the ideas and designs of H-man and Doubled's, H-man has an awesome thread on the DWC bucket system and well you just have to see doubled's grow to appreciate his abilities.

All I want is a 4 plant grow in a sealed hood that rocks, figure if I can combine the ideas of these 2 guys I can't grow wrong LOL

jj

Doubled's on another level, that's for sure. I am going to try and find H-man's thread. I was pretty high earlier and might have better luck now.
Curious on what kind of wattage you are going to be dropping on your ladies. If you are followin DD's then I KNOW you will be banging them hard for sure.
Will you be going vertical?
Can't wait to see any pic's you may post.
I want to do a similar system in the future so I hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair.
Cheers!

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Doubled's on another level, that's for sure. I am going to try and find H-man's thread. I was pretty high earlier and might have better luck now.
Curious on what kind of wattage you are going to be dropping on your ladies. If you are followin DD's then I KNOW you will be banging them hard for sure.
Will you be going vertical?
Can't wait to see any pic's you may post.
I want to do a similar system in the future so I hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair.
Cheers!

The part of those guys systems I am trying to duplicate is the hydro aspect, not going to even attempt vertical lighting on this set-up for the time being, down the road maybe but not yet. Running 1k in a sealed hood for starters with a dual-arc bulb.

I have found that running larger volumnes of water in a hydro system makes life so much easier. Once the nutrient level is determined then a larger body of water holds its ph and nutrient level constant with little to no adjustments. There will be 4 buckets holding about 4 gallons each and a resv. that holds 30 so a full system should be somewhere close to 46 gallons. This will work as my RO water storage capacity is 55 gallons.

jj

J

Jalisco Kid

If you are moving water thru that 1/2" feed line and plan on using a 1" drain I would put a vacuum breaker on your drain lines. Besides what in in your lines,having 4 gal per plant in your rez is plenty. Suerte JK
They make a 3.5 gal bucket that fits 5-6 gal buckets. I would get a 6 gal bottom bucket if you have not ordered them yet.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
JK thanks for stopping by, you are so very accurate about drain lines needing a vac. break, I learned that lesson the hard way when I built a system and put it on it's first test run. Sat there and watched 2 of 8 buckets syphon themselves empty while the fill pump was running.

I am trying as hard as possible to just use what's already here without buying much more than a new tent. Figure it's going to be the 2 gl buckets sat inside the 5 gl bucket. Only need to buy 3 more lids with this method.

I need a free standing veg. system, not worrried about a tent for this now, maybe before winter time. This veg system will be in the garage or a utility room not sure which yet. It's got to multi-functional and serve as a cloner, veg., mother and possibly even flower. My veg systems are all 2 x 2 trays with 15 gl resv. powered by one of 3 lights systems; 120 floro, 250w MH or 400w MH. Any of the 3 lights need to be able to mount to the table.

Went out to the shop and scrunged through the scrap wood pile. Total cost of this system is $0, completely recycled materials down to using old wood screws from the old system. I weigh 210lbs, I sat on the table then grabbed the top rail and lifted up. It's still standing.

jj

5 12 09 002
5 12 09 003
5 12 09 005
J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey JJ, looking good buddy. ;) One thing i wanted to ask ya though...if you have 2 gal buckets that you'll be putting inside of 5 gal buckets, why are you using lids?

J

Jalisco Kid

That sounds like you need a check valve for that problem. A vacuum breaker breaks the vacuum when you are draining. JK

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Hey JJ, looking good buddy. ;) One thing i wanted to ask ya though...if you have 2 gal buckets that you'll be putting inside of 5 gal buckets, why are you using lids?

The idea is to cut out the lid for the 2 gal pot to slid into. The 2 gal pots have a lip that will hold the bucket up and keep it suspended in the water. That's the idea anyways, time will tell if it works LOL.

JK That syphon thing was on the drain side, hard to explain as every aspect of that build was f'ed from the get go. Ended up tearing the system down in a couple of weeks as it was a complete failure. Your correct in that this system will have both a check valve and vents for the drain lines.

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
does anyone have a link for some 1/2" and 1" quick connects? thanks

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
e=114&Page=1
JK

Thanks JK, exactly what I was looking for:smiley_joint:

Got the veg system moved to the new house this weekend, it's temporarily in the garage as 3 of my Joey plants are still in flower in what's going to be the new veg room. Still need to install the fill and drain lines but it's basically ready for the plants to be moved into. Have all 3 light systems hanging and ready.

The GrowLab was shipped in this past week, things are coming together slowly.

jj

5 18 09 003
5 18 09 004
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
:fixed:

well sorta, LOL. Both systems are up and running in the new place, not anywhere near ideal but it's going to have to work for the first batch of plants as they got too big and started to smell in the veg system so in they went with an old 2x2 flood tray.

Seeing as this is my first tent I have nothing to compare it to other than what you guys post pics of, so far the GrowLab tent rocks. Set up was less than 30 mintues, all vents have draw strings seals and the front doors both have view windows. Not useing the built in side vents as light leaks would wreck havoc so I put 2 6" flex ducts for intake. Might possibly need a booster fan on the inlets as the sides are getting sucked in by the exhaust a bit more than needed.

Ventilation is supplied by 2 427 cfm CanFan's, one on the carbon filter and the other on the reflector. Temp swing is about 7 degree's F.

jj

jj

6 15 09 012
6 15 09 009
6 15 09 006
6 15 09 002
6 15 09 005
6 15 09 003

Latest posts

Top Bottom