Dr.J's Plot 2k14

• Thread starter Dr.J20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Hey everybody,
I just wanted to get up and rolling here at the farm so I'm going to jump right in on day 10 of flowering for this year's first grow. I will just keep this thread going for all of my growing until I hear otherwise from someone better versed in the culture here.

So, without further ado, here's what I'm doing:

Environment: 4'x2'x6' Tent
Avg Temps: Started off chilly but have gotten right in tune, 68-73F; i do get spikes and dips but its generally within a 20* range (pic shows the 81-61 swing I had over Monday night) but that is minimizing as the weather stabilizes.
Avg Humidity: 40-60%
Lights: 1x Pro Par420 Indagrow 420w Induction lamp, 2x Fluorogrow 4' x4bulb HOT5 rigged out with 7 zoomed flora suns and 1 6500K (which will be changed to another Flora Sun today)
Ventilation: Tjernlund 540cfm extraction fan on a controller (right now running at 50%) vented to separate room, and then from there outside; will be adding my carbon filter sometime next week
Medium: Organic Soil mix modeled off of subcool's supersoil and 3LB's soil mix. recipe below*
Container: 5gal smartpots
Genetics: 1x Strawberry Sour Diesel (Devil's Harvest) 1x Power Flower (Royal Queen) 1x Kerala x Skunk 1 (herbies freebie, maybe World of Seeds?)

I like to use AACT, floral nutrient teas, sprouted seed teas (mostly barley, but i'm testing out wheatgrass in the veggie garden, and i'm going to start with lactobacillus culturing via russian kvass to make some fermented plant extracts. i'll pop up a thread on russian kvass if there's interest) and aloe vera juice dilutions (both soil drench and foliar), and I've recently been in the habit of using a light, strained kelp tea for foliar feeds in between waterings. Oh, yeah, and I top at the 2nd node once they've got about 5-6 nodes to get 4 colas--of course, in the cold, this meant having smaller plants for my first run of the year.

I'm always happy to answer other questions, but I think this is enough detail for right now. I generally try to update every 10 days in flowering( and usually only put up 3-4 pics/updates all of veg).

Full setup
Drjs plot 2k14

Strawberry Sour Diesel
Drjs plot 2k14 2

Kerala x Skunk 1
Drjs plot 2k14 3

Power Flower
Drjs plot 2k14 4

You may notice the 3 3L bottles in the collective setup pic. They're bagseed I just threw in there for a little extra production in a 12/12FS methodology.
I've also got some Hawaiian Skunk Haze (a strain we were collectively trying to document at RIU, and if anyone has this freebie from Herbies, let me know because I'd love to start a knowledge amalgamation project over here for that strain!) another Kerala x Skunk 1, and a bagseed going under a Quantum Badboy 4' 4bulb T5 with florasuns and 6500K lights in my veggie starting room. Those girls (hopefully) will veg under that light until my flowering room is ready. Kinda nice to have the girls mingle with all of my other veggie starts for the season, and the veggies absolutely LOVE the Badboy.

Well that's enough from me for right now. Please feel free to comment, question, discuss, or otherwise contribute here, so long as it is respectful!
Be easy,
Dr. J

Last edited:
Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Soil recipe*

Base mix
20% EWC ≈ 6gal
13% Compost ≈ 3.6gal
40% sphagnum peat ≈ 12gal
12% coco coir ≈ 3.6gal
15% perlite ≈ 4.5gal
Makes ≈ 30 gallons mix.
————————————
22Gal base mix
10lbs EWC
1.25lbs Blood meal
1.25lbs Bat guano
1.25lbs crabshell meal
1lb bone meal
1/2C Epsom Salt
2C Liming agent: gypsum, dolomite, crabshell meal in 1:1:2 ratio
1C Azomite
1/4C greensand
2C Kelp meal
2C alfalfa meal
——————————————————
Method:
First, mix liming agent
then, mix base soil
add 10 gal base to 45 gal can. add amend’ts up to epsom salt, top with 12 gal of base, add liming agent, azomite greensand, kelp and alfalfa, mix thoroughly.
Add 4 gallons dechlorinated water with 4 tbsp liquid humic acid and 6tbsp blackstrap molasses.
Continue to mix.
Cover and allow to cook 5 weeks, mixing occasionally. maintain moisture so that fungi and bacteria can thrive and breakdown those goodies!

Be easy,
Dr.J

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Nice grow, Dr.J. Welcome to the Farm!

I learned a TON from the 3LB...

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Thanks, glad to be here! I also am a student of the 3LB, and am quite appreciative of the guides i've found online! Any repositories here at THCFarmer?

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Issues with Kerala x Skunk 1

As has been stated in my first post, temperature and temp swings have been something I've dealt with this grow (started all my plants too early this year). So I noticed some leaf tip upward curling and margin curling along with some dry crispiness and lime-green coloration of some leaves on the tallest tops of my KxS1.
Hoping that it was largely due to light intensity--especially since this is my first run with the IG induction lamp--i just raised the IG and and made sure air was circulating around the tops. That was two days ago.

Since then I've had some necrotic spots develop along the edges of some leaves in the middle of the KxS1, and general "crispiness" of affected leaves, with worsening of the dark spots, and more dramatic upward curling.
So my first thought was moisture stress causing some Potassium Phosphorous (and)or Magnesium issues, but it could also be that there is a ton of calcium in the mix locking out Magnesium creating a magnesium deficiency.
But, all that being said, since it is possible for potassium to be modulated by soil temps, and the signs (see pics) really do look more like potassium deficiency, I may be attempting to reverse that as my first route.

Also, the new growth, particularly from the two dominant colas, seems particularly skinny/thin.
My plan was to topdress with EWC, a little kelp meal, and plain dechlorinated water, then give 1/3-1/4 strength foliar of epsom salt water. The only problem with doing all of this is that it treats multiple potential issues meaning i won't know what it was. SO, my new plan is to do the ewc and kelp meal, then wait 3 days or so and see what happens. if its getting worse along the lines of magnesium, then i'll foliar with the epsom.

would love to hear thoughts!

PICS (all from day 17 of flower)
IMG 1727 1
IMG 1728 1
IMG 1730 1
IMG 1731 1
IMG 1732 1

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Turns out the kerala x skunk 1 is a boy. got so caught up and surprised by the sudden phosphorous deficiency / potential moisture stress that i didn't even notice the balls developing at the nodes! anywho, down to strawberry sour diesel and powerflower. Will be sexing another kerala skunk 1 and hawiian skunk haze in a week or two.
be easy farmers,
Dr.J

S

slap14

Did any of the other plants show a deficiency or just the one? Seems like they all should be showing a problems if it were due to lockout because of an abundance or lack of something. Could it be those genetics just don't like the mix?

I love growing in organic soil but it can also be a pain in the ass when these problems happen because it's much harder to diagnose and fix. Please keep us updated on how you handle the problem.

Good Luck Dr.

Slap

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Issues with Kerala x Skunk 1

As has been stated in my first post, temperature and temp swings have been something I've dealt with this grow (started all my plants too early this year). So I noticed some leaf tip upward curling and margin curling along with some dry crispiness and lime-green coloration of some leaves on the tallest tops of my KxS1.
Hoping that it was largely due to light intensity--especially since this is my first run with the IG induction lamp--i just raised the IG and and made sure air was circulating around the tops. That was two days ago.

Since then I've had some necrotic spots develop along the edges of some leaves in the middle of the KxS1, and general "crispiness" of affected leaves, with worsening of the dark spots, and more dramatic upward curling.
So my first thought was moisture stress causing some Potassium Phosphorous (and)or Magnesium issues, but it could also be that there is a ton of calcium in the mix locking out Magnesium creating a magnesium deficiency.
But, all that being said, since it is possible for potassium to be modulated by soil temps, and the signs (see pics) really do look more like potassium deficiency, I may be attempting to reverse that as my first route.

Also, the new growth, particularly from the two dominant colas, seems particularly skinny/thin.
My plan was to topdress with EWC, a little kelp meal, and plain dechlorinated water, then give 1/3-1/4 strength foliar of epsom salt water. The only problem with doing all of this is that it treats multiple potential issues meaning i won't know what it was. SO, my new plan is to do the ewc and kelp meal, then wait 3 days or so and see what happens. if its getting worse along the lines of magnesium, then i'll foliar with the epsom.

would love to hear thoughts!

PICS (all from day 17 of flower)
View attachment 394965 View attachment 394966 View attachment 394967 View attachment 394968 View attachment 394969
That looks like it was a K problem to my eyes, all day long. I do see some slight P issues (the reddened petioles), but the boy looks like he was suffering a K problem. Uptake, utilization, deficiency? I don't know. How long have you been using the soil mix that you posted above? It may need a wee bit of tweaking if it's a new recipe. Otherwise, though, they look fantastic to me.

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Thanks for the replies friends. I thought it might look like a K deficiency as well, but ultimately I'm thinking its actually mag. cool nights (lights off) with some super lows early on for a consistently low soil temp, plus an abundance of calcium sources and potential overwatering and excessive leaching along with the characteristic signs of mag deficiency (not to mention the fact that, as of right now, the other two girls are just starting to show some mag def. signs) lead me to think its most likely a magnesium deficiency attributable to cool soil temps, excessive moisture, and calcium abundance. I've fed foliar 1 tsp epsom salt dissolved in a half gallon of dechlorinated water, but i'm brewing up a compost tea, making dandelion FPE, and have earth juice microblast on hand if all else fails. I'm thinking the soil recipe definitely needs a bit of a tweak, but most likely I'll just recycle, test, and re-amend as needed and assess at the end. I'm already 20 days in and if I can't fix what's wrong by day 40 it'll be a ride-it-out situation.
Too tired to post the update for today, but epsom foliar does seem to be working so i'm hoping the aact and microblast work even better.
aact i'm brewing is as follows:
4.5 gal dechlor. tap water
2 C EWC
5tbsp BSM
12mL fish hydrolysate
1tbsp hydrated kelp paste
and its brewing for 42.0 hours

be easy,
Dr.J

Latest posts

Top Bottom