Drain to waste or res.

• Thread starter getbetter420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

that's the thing... at one pH level we are all bound to get them in DTW. that is why i foliar at a higher pH. that is also why we have shit like cal/mag supplements. it just seems like 6's would lock out certain main nutrients. but I'm asking everyone because i certainly don't feel confident on this topic :/

Sica

Sica

i need to get myself a soil ph tester, i'd love to know what my medium is at

you are growing in soil yet using dtw? i'm in rockwool, probably why the difference in pH

wow, you've got a bit of everything! where do you put the kitchen sink? ;)

Sica

Sica

The soil, coco and perlite is a mix my store makes, the hydroton is purely for drainage, he says its to create the right balance of nutrient holding and oxygen availability. Whether this proves true is to be seen, i have only recently changed to a run to waste system (6months) and so far have seen no real benefit to my old recirc system

i use to run hydroton in a recirc system. honestly, i'm of the same mind as you on this. well, the benefit is that i no longer have to change all my reservoirs, which is kinda nice. but now i don't get that normal pH swing, and if anything, i find some plants getting deficiencies easier :/

bobby

bobby

First off I am new to coco so thats why im asking,I am running a top-down drip system, using Canna A+B nutes,80/20canna coco to Perlite medium, in 4ish gallon smart-pots. My question is am I able to drain back to my resevoir or should I drain to waste? I have hear alot of people say they prefer to drain to waste with coco. I understand that PH needs to be at a good level once returned to the res., however with the combination I am using(media and air pots) the run off is very high and I am tryin to save on not wasting nutes. Is there any other difficulties or problems I might have with draining back to my res. besides Ph(which can be taken care of)? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you get an issue in your root zone...then it will quickly spread to the other plants since you're sharing the water. So drain to waste is the most safe.

You can save on nutrients by simply mastering your watering timing. You probably only need about 32 oz per day. So if you feed it exactly that, you won't have any runoff and you won't waste nutrients.

Just make sure you read up on nutrient strengths for whichever style you decide and don't forget to incorporate a regular flush.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I go through about the same amounts of water and nutes in DTW and Recirc. Have 2 runs under my belt with DTW and bout 3+ years recirc coco on ebb tables. Go DTW. Your plants will be a lot happier and the headaches you will deal with are waaaay less.

Top Bottom