Dreadlocks

• Thread starter index
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
index

index

I am currently growing my hair for dreadlocks it's about 3-4 inches away where I want them (a little below my shoulders) Does anyone here have dreadlocks, how is the up keep & are they worth it?

nebulius

nebulius

Upkeep depends on your hair. My bro had them, he was Indian (from India) and so his hair was really thick and dredded up nice. His hair was nasty tho cause he never washed it so the oils would help it. I would rather wash it occasionally and use a wax or oil to make it knot up.
What type of hair do you have, thin, course, curly, etc?

index

index

I have the dreadbud lol. There isn't any creeks or surf in vegas but I know whatcha mean, I have the love of Jah in me and I want to get dreads to show my colors.

Goodsen Cranium

Goodsen Cranium

I've been maintaining my locks for 11 years. One of the best decisions of my life. nebulius was on point, A LOT will depend on the texture of your hair. My hair was course and curly when I started them, so it was easy for my hair to lock & for me to be able to start & maintain them myself. Also, you may want to start with your hair a few inches longer than where you'd like them to rest because you will lose length as they take shape. My hair was shoulder length when I started, & when it locked, they were oh-so-short (down to about 2 inch locks, but my hair was super curly & I think that had something to do with the shrink). Determination & patience is key (but most farmers have that anyway;)). The first year, there was a 6 month stretch that I thought about cutting them off. On a daily basis. lol... Some of them are to my butt now, sooo glad I stuck it out. Good luck with your decision! Lady Goods

index

index

Thanks for the feed back goodsen posted at 420 am :) Would I have to buy alot of product?

budfriend

budfriend

upkeep is heavy. I would say at least a hour or two a day for true rasta dread. If you want them proper then 3-4 more inches will not do it. They need to be at least 6-8 inches longer. You MUST get some petroolie oil to be a true dread. If you get laid more and people think you are cool then they are worth it. Dont forget to wear grow fertilizer t-shits. Fox farm are the coolest fyi. Especially wear the grow tshirts when you talk to your neighbors. Oh and don't forget proper bumper sticker placement. You got to let the world know you smoke and grow. Especially so the cops will no when they pull you over for no reason.

Hope that helps.

ps. the more products you use the better. They have dreadlocks grow. for this stage. then dreadlocks rasta for the forming stage. You wanna add boosters throughout the life of them to make sure they are true rasta. Oh and dont forget to spray them down once a week with a kelp solution to keep them strong and vibrant.

Goodsen Cranium

Goodsen Cranium

Thanks for the feed back goodsen posted at 420 am :) Would I have to buy alot of product?
No, you shouldn't need to. I use Tresemme (sp?) conditioner as a leave in conditioner. [edit-I do have to buy a lot more now that they're longer] I wash my hair once every other week, more based on my activities. Even if you need something to get them started & trained, there should be maybe one or two things that you could use, based on your hair type, you have to do the research. An option also may be going to a stylist that specializes in doing locks to help you get them started. Hope that helps!

index

index

I already have advanced nutrients,foxfarm, lrg, seedless, bho & boro shirts everywhere I go people like them church, restaurants, golf courses lol, thanks for your input.

@goodsen
Thanks man for the info, do you have thick or thin dreads?

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

I recommend dr bronners soaps, for the first 7 or 8 months of dreading your hair. it strips the Grime and oils that make knots slip out of your hair. Good shit.

neverbreak

neverbreak

your dreads will end up significantly shorter than the current length of your hair. dreads shrink for the first year or so while the hair knots up and they become more solid. then they'll begin to grow again.

neverbreak

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

True Dread,grow themselves!!!
This is my third time growing my dreads out. Ive just realized that. It also helps to start with very short hair. Your true knots start at your skull when you first start lockin it up

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

your dreads will end up significantly shorter than the current length of your hair. dreads shrink for the first year or so while the hair knots up and they become more solid. then they'll begin to grow again.

neverbreak
A year ago when i started locking my hair again it was about 8 or 9”, right now my locks are about 6” long

Goodsen Cranium

Goodsen Cranium

I already have advanced nutrients,foxfarm, lrg, seedless, bho & boro shirts everywhere I go people like them church, restaurants, golf courses lol, thanks for your input.
@goodsen
Thanks man for the info, do you have thick or thin dreads?

I would say most locks are the size of a well rolled blunt, lol... Take a look. When I started them, I thought they'd end up thicker than what their formed shape is now, but I'm happy with the size. They've gotten to the length that any thinner wouldn't hold the weight. I'd love to know when you get started on your journey! :)
Lady Goods
IMG 2974

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

To ba true Rasta,ya don't need Dreadlocks,ya just need Dreadbuds!!!
But if ya want the best dread,ya gotta wash ya hair in the creek,out bush,or in the surf,only use what is vital,to survival;
Ital means vital;Dread shows that all ya need is bread!
Jump,jump,jump Nyabinghi!!!
there should be an option to continuously like things every time you see em

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

I would say most locks are the size of a well rolled blunt, lol... Take a look. When I started them, I thought they'd end up thicker than what their formed shape is now, but I'm happy with the size. They've gotten to the length that any thinner wouldn't hold the weight. I'd love to know when you get started on your journey! :)
Lady Goods
with that said, dont go to small. youll kick yourself in the ass as you continuously molt locks

entropy99

entropy99

I used to have locks for many years. Started them when my hair was short and grew them for several years. Thick and thin ones, ones that merged together so that they branched. They were pretty great, but I grew sick of them in the heat of summer and gave them the chop. A shaved head is far easier!

The Joker

The Joker

It's like wearing a heavy hat and if you run hot, you will sweat all the time. They are super hard to wash so it's a lot of work to keep clean. Also , people tend to not take you seriously with dreads unless you are African American. It's like announcing your committment to being a professional slacker.
Your job choices will be working in a cafe, record shop ,health food store, tattoo parlor , dispensary or of course dope grower.

Top Bottom