Dried Seaweed Application Rate?

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

just curious about application rates....this product is only giving me application rates for seed soaking, and per hectar(farm style)...the product is 1-0-13

im looking for application rates(for this product or similar) for:

-foliar spray
-root drench
-mixing in soil(per gallon of soil)

i been searching google, but my searches have come up empty for what im looking for....any help from fellow gardeners on this one?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Don't know what product your talking about, did you post it? My nutes come with instructions per acre of soil, here are my calculations.

1 qt per acre

an acre furrow slice is six inches, then an acre is 807 yards of dirt.
1 qt = 32 oz
1 oz = 30ml

So....... 1 qt per acre = 960ml per 807 yards

or

1.2 ml per yard

Extremely efficient nutrients I run. Post up the product brief, label or link me to a sight with more information and I might be able to help.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Don't know what product your talking about, did you post it? My nutes come with instructions per acre of soil, here are my calculations.

1 qt per acre

an acre furrow slice is six inches, then an acre is 807 yards of dirt.
1 qt = 32 oz
1 oz = 30ml

So....... 1 qt per acre = 960ml per 807 yards

or

1.2 ml per yard

Extremely efficient nutrients I run. Post up the product brief, label or link me to a sight with more information and I might be able to help.

optimum hydroponix mermix 1-0.3-13 seaweed powder(ascophillum nodosum)

here in both these sites says 1-2-18...but my label says 1-0.3-13 ....just like the picture in the first link...

insructions on the label are =

seed treatment= 30g/100L
seed bed prep= 15g/100L
rooting= 15g/100L
foliar= 15g/100L

ok so i see now it has the application rate for foliar...so now that thats out the way, im more interested in how much to mix in the soil....i mix my soil in 36 gal totes....so i would need to know how much to mix into 36 gals of soil....this is the most important for me...when mixing soil you never want to over do something, but you also dont want to add something and it be so minimal it has no effect

and also what would be an ok application rate to mix with current base nutes? would 200ppm be sufficient to mix with base nutes? i usually fert @ 700ppm....so if i cut my base to 500 and add the seaweed powder @ 200ppm to make a total of 700 ppm, would that be alright?...scared of adding too much really lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would use their seed bed prep rate of 15g/100L, which should be an easy conversion since you're going from a volumetric measurement to another volumetric measurement.

Wait.. EWPS! That's for making a tea with it, yes? Hold on, brb. Ok, I'm assuming this is highly soluble, yes? If so, you may have issues trying to use it as a soil/media amendment and how long it remains in situ. In this instance, I would be using meal, not a soluble powder.

I don't feel comfortable making any suggestions regarding your other question.

Last edited:
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I totally missed your last round of questions, and I am trying to get some work done here at the farm. I will check back in and try to give my best answer. Sorry for the delay.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I would use their seed bed prep rate of 15g/100L, which should be an easy conversion since you're going from a volumetric measurement to another volumetric measurement.

I don't feel comfortable making any suggestions regarding your other question.

yeah all the measurements on the label are to be mixed with water and watered in....i wanted to mix directly into soil when im mixing my soil batches...just mixed 100 gallons of soil, but didnt add no kelp/seaweed...

my reason for adding the kelp/seaweed is for the added K....i use crab meal thats 4.5-5.5-0.2 w/15% calcium :D just lacking some K and MG..so i added epson salts..now i just needed the added K....

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I totally missed your last round of questions, and I am trying to get some work done here at the farm. I will check back in and try to give my best answer. Sorry for the delay.
thx bulldog...i know you guys know your soil mixes a bit more than i do, as i do a soil mix thats pretty nice, but not 100% complete, i then like to control feedings with chem ferts...i personally find it gives me the quality of organics and production of chems....thats just me though lol

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I am not sure that product is designed to use globally in soil. However, you can water it in or just mix in the soil. I would also agree with the application rates that Seamaiden stated.

The concern I have is the plague of people using high K compost. When people are mixing up new soil, they don't test their compost. Most compost is extremely high in K, and especially poorly made compost. The worst thing you can do to your soil is overload K. K takes years to bleed out of the soil, and really makes plants susceptible to mildew later in the season. Also destroy's micro life in too high of concentrations.

So, have you tested this soil, now or in the past? What were the K levels?

I might leave out the kelp, without knowing my other inputs. K is easy to supply, and it sounds like you even have a product if your K gets low. That is the best I can do without soil tests.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I am not sure that product is designed to use globally in soil. However, you can water it in or just mix in the soil. I would also agree with the application rates that Seamaiden stated.

The concern I have is the plague of people using high K compost. When people are mixing up new soil, they don't test their compost. Most compost is extremely high in K, and especially poorly made compost. The worst thing you can do to your soil is overload K. K takes years to bleed out of the soil, and really makes plants susceptible to mildew later in the season. Also destroy's micro life in too high of concentrations.

So, have you tested this soil, now or in the past? What were the K levels?

I might leave out the kelp, without knowing my other inputs. K is easy to supply, and it sounds like you even have a product if your K gets low. That is the best I can do without soil tests.

i have never tested soil, but i know K levels wont be too high....here is my simple but effective mix:

150 liters of promix
50 liters of coco
30-50 liters of perlite
30 liters of store bought sheep manure compost(0.6-0.4-0.4)
30 liters of store bought shimp compost(0.6-0.4-0.4)
30 liters of worm castings(1-1-1)
2-4 cups of crab meal(4.5-5.5-0.5)
2 cups azomite
2-3 cups of dolo lime
about 1 cup of epsom salts(crab meal has high cal, so the epsom is to balance it out)

so as you can see, everything is pretty even as for nutes....just the crab meal is a bit low on the K so i fear that will lower my K in my total mix...this is all for bucket farming indoors...
25 liters of shrimp compost

Top Bottom