Drilling 2 8" holes for intake. Any help?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I doould I n't really have any idea on what to do.
I need 2 8" holes in the brick of our house for intake air.
What should i do for the drilling? Thru brick?
What do I need so I cam install the flex ducting and something I can cover the holes with on the outside of the house so it still looks nice and clean?
It would be nice to put some kind of an intake filter as well so any suggestions.
I've heard of the black box but wasn't sure how it worked.

Also I will be running xxxl8" magnums. The air will come in thru the xxxl's and out the roof. Since there is no way I can get the air thru an inline filter will the smell get into the lights and outside? If so any solutions?

green punk

green punk

A concrete demo saw, available at most rental stores. Remove a whole brick. Or a stout drill with a masonry bit (5/16 or 3/8) or bigger. Drill circle shape or mortar around brick. Hammer perforation knock out brick. Good Luck

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
like GP said ..drill a circle pattern, you need a piece of hard pipe for your pattern..a good chizzle helps on the busting out. dryer cover would look ok outside

S

swisscheese

Do like green punk said trace your pattern on the outside and then swisscheese it with a hammer drill. Brick is hard to drill through usually so make sure you have a strong hammer drill.

K

kolah

are these cinder blocks or bricks?

if cinderblock are they filled with cement or are they hollow?

juggernaut

juggernaut

bricks.
saw on holmes they just had a big circle drill and it was in and out i think only a 6" max he was using.

S

serpent

whats the out take on the roof ? i would rather put in a vent on the roof to use as an intake.or go for a sealed room.just one 3 inch hole in you brick for a/c lines.

juggernaut

juggernaut

Only the lights have air from outside so as long as thats sealed it is a closed environment.

Otherwise I would need a 32,000 btu mini-split....just too many amps.
I'm pulling air from outside thru my lights and out the roof with a 12" 1709cfm can max.

S

swisscheese

A 12" fan that big will cool I bet 10 or 12 air cooled lights in my climate right now. I used a 1085cfm last winter with 7 non aircooled lights and a chhc4 no problems.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

To do it clean and if you dont want to do it yourself you can get a core drilling guy to punch the hole through for you,Usually about 80-100 bucks for them to do it,look under core drilling or concrete cutting in your phone book.Dryer vent cover could also work and be painted to match so it doesnt stand out but im not even sure if they make them that big but im sure that there is some kind of a sheetmetal duct that big that you can use.

sedate

sedate

I have a few thoughts on this thread:

juggernaut said:
I need 2 8" holes in the brick of our house for intake air.
What should i do for the drilling? Thru brick?

If this is not something you've seen done there are a number of different and fairly advanced contracting skills that are coming into play here - I really wouldn't recommend trying to do something like this yourself for your first shot through a material like that.

Futhermore - you'll need some pretty decent hardware - a corded 1/2" drill and a 8" hole saw should set you back a decent $250 - with at least another $100 covering the vents, paint, putty, and whatever else you need to finish it.

Next there is the problem of making that look nice considering you want a 12" exhaust -

fishwhistle said:
.Dryer vent cover could also work and be painted to match so it doesnt stand out but im not even sure if they make them that big but im sure that there is some kind of a sheetmetal duct that big that you can use.

The biggest I've ever found is a 7" at Home Depot but I'm sure you could specialty order them a bit larger - the issue here again is that a piece like this is going to be fairly pricey, and he will need several of them since the vent part itself constricts further than the 8" intakes he is looking for - he will probably need to get 4 of them to not restrict CFM.

And to finish it and seal it and make it look finished properly is quite a tall order from one who appears to be a bit confused on where to even start.

Juggernaut - you really should scrap this idea. You really are doing wayyy to much work to run co2.

You are aware that if you seal these rooms you will still need a/c yes? You ought get anyway with something a bit paltry - maybe 8000 BTU's per room - but you will still need it at 3kw per flower chamber.

So - um - why the intakes at all? Why don't you just put a pair of CAN100's in each of your rooms and split them between your three Magnums?

That would work very nicely for both smell and cooling - and you wouldn't cut up your house - or worry about a black box light sink and shit - which - to be honest judging your posts over the last few days - is probably not a free-form engineering project you should take on at this point in time - nevermind that I am certainly not going to type out the 2500 words it would take to explain the myriad of things you will have to do with the thing if you want to to manage fucking 1700 CFM with it so I'm really not sure who else around here might.

You are really increasing the complexity and cost of your install and your grow by several orders of magnitude for a fairly marginal increase in yield - especially when you haven't even run this setup yet.

And, lastly-

kenny rodgers said:
magnums leak. get your aluminum tape ready.

The current generation of these reflectors most certainly do not leak. They are, along with the smaller Blockbuster series of reflectors, some of the best pieces on the market. If I was running a sealed room - these would be my first choice reflectors.

juggernaut

juggernaut

lol
i have a guy coming to check on it tomorrow.
Yes I am running co2 and have so in the past.
It will be hooked up to a sentinal.
If I have to get 2 smaller exhaust fans so be it.
I will be running a 18,000 cfm mini split with the lights being air cooled I should be good.
Also the Quantum ballasts will be out of the room.
I run 2 rooms on a 12 hour flip....double the fun.
I've been growing since94....just haven't had to deal with this much heat that it requires more cooling then the a/c can generate....that's good as well....means more lights.
Yes I have no construction experience but always like others opinions....even if they do come off as arrogant;)
Also I have a 12" 1709 can max scrubbing the room as well.....but I really don't want to get into all of that just asking about holes.

Juggernaut - you really should scrap this idea. You really are doing wayyy to much work to run co2.

lol

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Half inch concrete hammer drill, pattern drawn on the brick with sharpy marker, drill the pattern as close together as the bit will allow, then smack center with hammer. Out pops brick. Nothing more than that my friend. HVAC installer here, do it all the time. No Problem. Just try and drill all your holes level.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I have a few thoughts on this thread:

If this is not something you've seen done there are a number of different and fairly advanced contracting skills that are coming into play here - I really wouldn't recommend trying to do something like this yourself for your first shot through a material like that.

Futhermore - you'll need some pretty decent hardware - a corded 1/2" drill and a 8" hole saw should set you back a decent $250 - with at least another $100 covering the vents, paint, putty, and whatever else you need to finish it.

Next there is the problem of making that look nice considering you want a 12" exhaust -

The biggest I've ever found is a 7" at Home Depot but I'm sure you could specialty order them a bit larger - the issue here again is that a piece like this is going to be fairly pricey, and he will need several of them since the vent part itself constricts further than the 8" intakes he is looking for - he will probably need to get 4 of them to not restrict CFM.

And to finish it and seal it and make it look finished properly is quite a tall order from one who appears to be a bit confused on where to even start.

You are aware that if you seal these rooms you will still need a/c yes? You ought get anyway with something a bit paltry - maybe 8000 BTU's per room - but you will still need it at 3kw per flower chamber.

So - um - why the intakes at all? Why don't you just put a pair of CAN100's in each of your rooms and split them between your three Magnums?

That would work very nicely for both smell and cooling - and you wouldn't cut up your house - or worry about a black box light sink and shit - which - to be honest judging your posts over the last few days - is probably not a free-form engineering project you should take on at this point in time - nevermind that I am certainly not going to type out the 2500 words it would take to explain the myriad of things you will have to do with the thing if you want to to manage fucking 1700 CFM with it so I'm really not sure who else around here might.

You are really increasing the complexity and cost of your install and your grow by several orders of magnitude for a fairly marginal increase in yield - especially when you haven't even run this setup yet.

And, lastly-

Tell me where I can get a 1/2 inch drill and an 8" hole saw for 250?n The hole saws I buy are about 100 bucks + each, the largest I can find is 6 and 5/16's".

The current generation of these reflectors most certainly do not leak. They are, along with the smaller Blockbuster series of reflectors, some of the best pieces on the market. If I was running a sealed room - these would be my first choice reflectors.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

maybe they made some BIG changes in the last 2 years, but magnums and blockbusters are absolutely the weak links in the odor chain here. the side running raptors doesn't need a carbon filter, not the same story for the line of magnum - blockbuster - blockbuster.

raptors for my money!

sedate

sedate

Let me try and tie this together for you guys:

juggernaut said:
Yes I have no construction experience but always like others opinions....even if they do come off as arrogant;)

SodaLicious said:
HVAC installer here, do it all the time. No Problem.

I'm glad a professional who "do[es] it all the time" is certain someone who started this thread with nothing so much as a question mark is going to have all the success you might enjoy considering juggernaut's install parameters - especially this one:

juggernaut said:
something I can cover the holes with on the outside of the house so it still looks nice and clean?

This is sort of comedy to me.

juggernaut- seriously I wish you all the luck in the world but you are doing a lot of things in the wrong order - particularly considering you are trying to chop up your house.

I would strongly advise you against cutting into your house before you at least run the room without co2 for at least a vague sense for what your final airflow situation will be.

Since you say you pretty much have most all the equipment - and don't seem concerned about cost or the permanency of cutting into your home - then well good luck I guess.

juggernaut said:
I've been growing since94

94? And I had to tell you how to re-veg? Come on. ;)

maybe they made some BIG changes in the last 2 years, but magnums and blockbusters are absolutely the weak links in the odor chain here. the side running raptors doesn't need a carbon filter, not the same story for the line of magnum - blockbuster - blockbuster.

raptors for my money!

Reflectors are probably one the areas that has seen the biggest improvement across the board over the course of the last few years sure . .

Regardless of that though - these are really nice pieces - and really functionally identical to the Raptors out of the box . . . one is made by SunSystems and one by HydroFarm . . . but they are perfectly sealed out of the box as far as the dozen or so I've ever installed . .

I have to be honest - the only smell complaints I've been hearing these days are the crappy chinese jobs they give away with the 1000w packages . . . and even those aren't advertised much anymore . .

green punk

green punk

Sedate you never cease to amaze me. Dude, you are an ass. And yes. Your ability to over argue and over type is.... that of an ass.

Sun system is now (since 2011) welding all seams on air cooled. In the past they relied on the powder coating to seal.

juggernaut

juggernaut

show me a couple of your grows so I can see your results.

Top Bottom