Drip Feeders?

• Thread starter dan1989
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
dan1989

dan1989

What do you pot growers (as in grow in pots) :D recommend to use if you have to go away for a week? I had to leave an auto flower I had going last year for about 10 days and bought some gravity fed cone things, and they totally failed. Came back to a pile of brown leaves :( I don't really have anyone to babysit them for me, any suggestions? Appreciate any help thanks

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
A large trash can full of water with a rope to the bottom with the other end of the rope dangling in the flower pot. Test it out and see how many days it drips, different kind/size rope wicks at different speeds.

dan1989

dan1989

Wow that's primitive...i love it! I might have to leave them next month, only for 4 days or so, but has been worrying me a little so definitely will do some tests asap! These are the kind of down and dirty tips I joined the site for :) thanks for the quick reply! Respect!

Farmer P

Farmer P

My Grandfather showed me that technique with a rag to get water off the top of 55 gallon drums after it rained. He called it a gravity siphon. I would soak the rope first so it doesn't take so long for the water to travel up and out. Of course then it will probably drip a little faster than normal for a little while. Cotton rope will probably work better than nylon. Maybe some of that rope used for clothes drying line.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can also make a drip waterer by drilling a hole into a container the size you prefer, then silicone in an aquarium airline valve, to which you attach air line. With the valve, you set your drip rate. This is how we would acclimatize new arrivals (aquarium fishes).

@Farmer P -- I've used many materials to do this sort of thing, including towels ripped into strips, and my favorite, all my husband's Zorbees that he wasn't using, cut into a long strip. :D

Otherwise, if you want automation there are many ways to skin that cat, but in my experience it's best not to cheap out on the irrigation controller itself.

dan1989

dan1989

Yes yes yes, loving the valve idea seamaiden. Really don't need a controller (famous last words) as only two plants to worry about at the moment. I think I have a valve from an old compressor, not sure if its the same kind of thing you're talking about, but its a quarter turn thing with a cup shaped valve inside that turns with the handle. Works with air so should work with water. I think I'll go with the valve actually, more control. Thanks for the inspiration! ❤

madmaster420

madmaster420

You can also use an iv bag like you get in the hospital when going in for surgery...

Just set the dripper to the flow rate you wish - you can time how long it will take to drain the bag and set up your system accordingly.

Good luck!

StandingRock

StandingRock

Here's my setup. There's a lot more crap in my reservoir than you would need. The middle pipe is the pump going into the grow room. You could buy a cheap pump but I bought the jebao because it had pvc threads on it and th cheaper ones don't. You would need an airstone as well. Get a octabubbler. That's the part with all the lines coming out of it in the grow room. Mine is the orbit apollo. If you went with a nice pump this would cost you about $100. If you went with a cheap pump it would be $50. The other ideas are nice but not reliable. Peace of mind costs money.

IMG 2536
IMG 2538
Wildill

Wildill

I just having some issues with my drip system I just set it still drips once the pump shuts off I tried the pin hole in the upper part of the hose it works well until I fill my reservoir what can't I do to fix this issues? @StandingRock do have any suggestions

visajoe1

visajoe1

I just having some issues with my drip system I just set it still drips once the pump shuts off I tried the pin hole in the upper part of the hose it works well until I fill my reservoir what can't I do to fix this issues? @StandingRock do have any suggestions
sounds like the hole gets covered when you fill up your rez? can you make it higher?

Wildill

Wildill

sounds like the hole gets covered when you fill up your rez? can you make it higher?
Yea that's what's happening can't raise it higher with out it going all over the floor. I found a fix at dripworks.com thanks for the input

visajoe1

visajoe1

Yea that's what's happening can't raise it higher with out it going all over the floor. I found a fix at dripworks.com thanks for the input
How did you fix it? Anti-syphon valve? Curious what other ways there might be

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

What do you pot growers (as in grow in pots) :D recommend to use if you have to go away for a week? I had to leave an auto flower I had going last year for about 10 days and bought some gravity fed cone things, and they totally failed. Came back to a pile of brown leaves :( I don't really have anyone to babysit them for me, any suggestions? Appreciate any help thanks
You might try what is called watering Globes there are all kinds of different types. Here's a link good luck.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C..._SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=water+globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom