Drip Irrigation Knowledge Wanted

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prestige

Prestige

Blumats may be the way to go, but I know nothing about them. I just know that the res has to be higher than the blumats and they feed at a constant and can keep your media at a constant moisture/saturation.

Prestige

Prestige

"Magdrive" type pumps have no oil, the motor is coupled to the impeller by magnetism. I have the smallest model (there are a number of nearly identical brands) and I do notice a couple degrees F temp rise if I leave it running.

Only a couple of degrees? That's not bad, I can deal with that.

Prestige

Prestige

@seaslug could you please give me a supplies list for blumats? I am ordering them online now and don't know what components I need. There seems to be a lot of different add-ons and whatnot. Do I need a filter? Will these things clog-up on me?

Prestige

Prestige

Here is my plan:

Blumats running to give me 10%-15% runoff and a very small 80GPH pump that empties my waste catch. I will have bubblers going in my res to keep it aerated.

1 blumat per plant sound sufficient?

I apologize for the bombardment of questions. I've been nonstop researching for 2-3 days now, I even dream about what setup to run lol. I'm on a deadline, eventually this will be run on a larger scale, so I want something that can easily be reproduced at a larger scale.

You have my undying appreciation.

seaslug

seaslug

I didn't expect you to jump right in, Prestige, but my Blumat systems have been fulfilling my goals. Most of what I gathered was from the big Blumat thread at ICmag.

First off, you are thinking all wrong about the Tropf Blumat system. They run under very low pressure, I forget what the psi is but you can buy a Blumat pressure reducer and hook that to a faucet. I don't know anyone that runs those filters.

There is virtually no runoff for a properly setup system. I might get a couple sponge fulls now and then that I mop up out of the trays.

One "carrot" per pot, up to three gallons is good. The silicone main line I use is floppy but the system works OK if the big line is below the dripper. Ideally, you want any bubbles to go up into the res.

You talk about scaling the op, look at some of Lazyman's posts at IC. There really is a tutorial needed for all this and I really don't have the time right now, sorry. Be sure to soak your ceramic carrots overnight and use a disposable 3ml pipette to squirt the air bubbles out of the green cap, etc, and assemble under water in a bucket.

Oh, I wouldn't aerate the res. Bleach has been my salvation.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/blumats-and-coco.60421/

sustainablevillage.com has been good service.

Last edited:
Prestige

Prestige

Shit... I want runoff tho and I'm going to be running 100 gallons of medium.

Looks like I can't run blumats.

seaslug

seaslug

I'm allowed 30 plants by WA state mmj law but at a bigger scale, yeah, I think I'd go another route.

Here is my edit showing the parts list for the veg system shown; I also use 1/4" quick disconnects from Value Plastics at the reservoir:
Tropf

Edit: I meant the Deck Kit

IMG 0001

PS: I guess the Drip Clean added at one ml per gallon eliminates the need for runoff. I replace the 3mm tubing and 8-3-8mm tees after each run. Nothing close to clogging but I can see white deposits.

Last edited:
Prestige

Prestige

I'm flip-flopping like at mother fkr here lol. Okay, I think I'm gonna run blumats and 2.2 gal air pots.

seaslug

seaslug

Yeah, I think that's about it. I see Home Depot carries a 20 gallon Brute toter that would make a cheaper res than the Botanicares I have. The quick disconnects I use are a luxury. The Blumat 8mm line slips on and off the Blumat shutoff valve easily enough and the orange line is very easy, this is a compression connection. Putting the black Blumat line on the barbed fittings, though, is a permanent installation as far as I'm concerned (I don't have real strong hands).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't used the tape but have heard good things about it. The most crucial thing with it though is the filtration before anything goes into the tape. You can not replace individual emitters in the tape since they are built in. At least when a dripper clogs, you can cut it out and replace it!
Also, with organic nutrients, you are asking for trouble if you try and run them through the tape or emitter system! For fresh water, you are good to go.
Just looking to irrigate. So, filtration is *key*, good to know! We do have problems with emitters clogging due to our very, very hard well water. And rocks.

Thanks for that information. I'd query @Blaze but he is one busy guy lately!
"Magdrive" type pumps have no oil, the motor is coupled to the impeller by magnetism. I have the smallest model (there are a number of nearly identical brands) and I do notice a couple degrees F temp rise if I leave it running.
Magnet driven impeller, is what it's called. The motor is sealed in epoxy, and it is its magnet that makes the impeller move.
Does the magnet come in contact with the solution? Won't opposingly charged elements stick to the magnet, causing deficiencies? Like wouldn't iron stick to the magnets? And wouldn't that interfere with ppm readings? I just don't like the idea of magnets in my res.
The magnet attached to the impeller will come into contact with the water/feed.

seaslug

seaslug

For whatever reason, my Hanna combo pens show a more stable EC (ppm) reading with the pumps turned on. Those are sensitive meters, my Bluelab truncheon shows no difference.

seaslug

seaslug

From the sustainablevillage.com site, for anyone going big time with Blumat:

Are you a:
  1. MMJ Dispensary
  2. Landscaper
  3. Large-scale grower?
If so, you can apply for an account at Green China Direct and place discounted orders at www.greenchinadirect.com.

You can also use this site and request:
  1. Quantity discounts
  2. Design and sizing suggestions
  3. CAD drawing designs for your specific application
  4. On-site support in many locations
Email: [email protected]

seaslug

seaslug

So this might be the best description of Blumats I've seen:
"The Tropf-Blumat (Drip-Blumat) is a sensor that supplies plants with drips of water via thin tubing. As the soil dries, its natural suction power triggers the opening of the Tropf Blumat allowing the water to flow. When the soil is sufficiently moist, the Tropf Blumat automatically stops. The system functions fully automatically. Every plant, every container or group of plants requires at least 1 Tropf-Blumat adjusted to the individual needs of the plant. Larger containers or surfaces require longer or more than one sensor. All Tropf-Blumats are connected using one supply tube, this allows for flexibility in the layout and is changeable at any time.

Automatically waters individual plants, and only when needed.

Connects directly to your hose tap or rain barrel.

Easily installed with a pair of scissors

Inexpensive and works for years

deal for small or larger grow areas

Silent - makes no noise"

Prestige

Prestige

From the sustainablevillage.com site, for anyone going big time with Blumat:

Are you a:
  1. MMJ Dispensary
  2. Landscaper
  3. Large-scale grower?
If so, you can apply for an account at Green China Direct and place discounted orders at www.greenchinadirect.com.

You can also use this site and request:
  1. Quantity discounts
  2. Design and sizing suggestions
  3. CAD drawing designs for your specific application
  4. On-site support in many locations
Email: [email protected]

I am a landscaper lol

Prestige

Prestige

I dunno, don't you guys think that the nutrients in the solution (negative/positive charge) will stick to the magnets? Some more than others, causing deficiencies? I JUST got my feed program down perfectly, don't want to upset anything.

Prestige

Prestige

I think it might be better to go with a centrifugal pump. What do you guys think?

Prestige

Prestige

People run mag drives without any problems whatsoever tho, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom