Drip Solutions?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

Going back to a drip system and I was just wondering if I should keep the drip emitters running only when the lights are on or just run them all the time. I'm using clay pellets in 12l buckets. I Just want to run what is best for my ladies.

cachimbo

cachimbo

Going back to a drip system and I was just wondering if I should keep the drip emitters running only when the lights are on or just run them all the time. I'm using clay pellets in 12l buckets. I Just want to run what is best for my ladies.
Dr p to feed

Bill22

Bill22

You want to run your drip system 24/7. About 20 yrs ago I used an Aquafarm system by General Hydro. I think it was the original drip system, and was the hot hydro system of its day. It had emitter rings at the top of a bucket with rocks which sat inside a second bucket that was a reservoir. And it ran 24/7, constantly feeding the plants. You should see tremendous growth w/ such a system. I myself will soon be using a Current Culture 16XL system for the first time.

mancdank

mancdank

Leaving them on 24/7 ain't a good idea IMHO if your in clay pebbles maybe 4 to 5 times a day for 15 mins if your in coco u will need to reduce again and that will depend on if u have gone 100% coco or a popular 1 at the moment is 60/40 for a better answer your guna have to give more info like how many plants per area what size of pot what medium and age of plant are all vital in getting the answer u want

Bill22

Bill22

You also might want to check w/ the people who made the system. They would have the most experience with it.

Lowman

Lowman

wouldn't the pump running 24/7 cause a heat issue in the water?

Bill22

Bill22

Here is a pic of a drip system w/ circular emitter ring (Waterfarm by Genl Hydro). It is v similar to the Genl Hydro Aquafarm I used 20 yrs ago. The nutrient solution comes out of the holes in the circular emitter ring. The air pump at bottom left is kept on 24/7 and it brings air down the center of the module to the water which then bubbles, saturating the roots with oxygen. When I used this type of system, I connected eight modules together with that blue tubing you see. They then fed into a 4-gal controller with a float valve. I then placed a 32-gal plastic trash can on top of the 4-gal controller which served as a top-off reservoir.

The growth rate was so intense that it didn't make sense to go beyond two weeks in the grow phase. We learned our lesson the first time we used it when we went four weeks in the grow. The project was aborted in the fifth week b/c it was evident we'd be dealing with 7' tall plants (Super Skunk and Big Bud, both from Sensi Seeds). So from then on out we used a two-week grow w/ a nine-week bloom which was perfect.

Waterfarm

Current Culture, which seems to be the hydro system of choice for commercial cultivators, has taken this basic concept (DWC) and expanded upon it. I look forward to using their Under Current product. Instead of Gavitas, I intend to use the Boulder Lamp 315w CDL Agro made by Philips (ballast and hood by Boulder, lamp by Philips). These draw 315w and put out the equivalent of 600w of light. The light spectrum is mint. Boulder says this is the coolest-temperature light around, even cooler than LEDs.

I also intend to use the new dissolved-oxygen product by O2 Grow (it is not on their site yet). With one emitter in each module replacing the standard air stones that come w/ the Under Current system, dissolved oxygen should go up somewhere around 50%, from 8.5 ppm to about 12.5 ppm. On the O2 Grow site, it shows where Univ of Tenn and Univ of Minnesota increased their vegetable yields by 13% to 58% using the O2 products. Wow!

K

Kot

Water a few times. only if the roots are established, only when the lights are on.

cachimbo

cachimbo

Lowman, the Under Current system uses air stones in each module and they stay on 24/7. Of course that is just one system.
Lowman, the Under Current system uses air stones in each module and they stay on 24/7. Of course that is just one system.
We learned many many years ago that undergravel filters using high-density air bubbles is a fantastic way of cleaning the bottom of a saltwater aquarium you use psoriasis in the corners exactly how did deep water Riser system is being utilized and believe me it really does aerate the water

Bill22

Bill22

Again, I have seen nothing that purports to add more DO than the O2 Grow system, as discussed in post #7 above. The proof is in the pudding, and the two universities that I referenced showed improved yields of 13%-58%. That seems about right when DO is going up about 50%. I am really looking forward to trying it out on a side-by-side in my Current Culture setup.

Brativa

Brativa

Here is a pic of a drip system w/ circular emitter ring (Waterfarm by Genl Hydro). It is v similar to the Genl Hydro Aquafarm I used 20 yrs ago. The nutrient solution comes out of the holes in the circular emitter ring. The air pump at bottom left is kept on 24/7 and it brings air down the center of the module to the water which then bubbles, saturating the roots with oxygen. When I used this type of system, I connected eight modules together with that blue tubing you see. They then fed into a 4-gal controller with a float valve. I then placed a 32-gal plastic trash can on top of the 4-gal controller which served as a top-off reservoir.

The growth rate was so intense that it didn't make sense to go beyond two weeks in the grow phase. We learned our lesson the first time we used it when we went four weeks in the grow. The project was aborted in the fifth week b/c it was evident we'd be dealing with 7' tall plants (Super Skunk and Big Bud, both from Sensi Seeds). So from then on out we used a two-week grow w/ a nine-week bloom which was perfect.

Current Culture, which seems to be the hydro system of choice for commercial cultivators, has taken this basic concept (DWC) and expanded upon it. I look forward to using their Under Current product. Instead of Gavitas, I intend to use the Boulder Lamp 315w CDL Agro made by Philips (ballast and hood by Boulder, lamp by Philips). These draw 315w and put out the equivalent of 600w of light. The light spectrum is mint. Boulder says this is the coolest-temperature light around, even cooler than LEDs.

I also intend to use the new dissolved-oxygen product by O2 Grow (it is not on their site yet). With one emitter in each module replacing the standard air stones that come w/ the Under Current system, dissolved oxygen should go up somewhere around 50%, from 8.5 ppm to about 12.5 ppm. On the O2 Grow site, it shows where Univ of Tenn and Univ of Minnesota increased their vegetable yields by 13% to 58% using the O2 products. Wow!
How is that 315 working out? it has drawn my intrigue for sure

Bill22

Bill22

How is that 315 working out? it has drawn my intrigue for sure
Brativa, i have not yet decided on whether to go with the 315w/600w Elite Agro from Boulder Lamp or a standard 1,000w hps. Concerned that the penetration of 5 315w's will not be as good as 3 of the hps. Power savings is about one-half.

Typhoon72

Typhoon72

I run a drip system 24/7 with it gravity feeding back to the reservoir. Haven't had any issues yet and change res weekly. Just about to flip my Blueberry in the next few days, so hoping they continue to boom. I only have 2 plants under a 400w COB LED unit (4 in one housing) so is easily managed.

Wildill

Wildill

I run a drip system 24/7 with it gravity feeding back to the reservoir. Haven't had any issues yet and change res weekly. Just about to flip my Blueberry in the next few days, so hoping they continue to boom. I only have 2 plants under a 400w COB LED unit (4 in one housing) so is easily managed.
Can you post a pic I'm interested in doing something like that

Typhoon72

Typhoon72

Here's a couple i took tonight. I use a small water feature submersible pump to circulate and I've got buckets with baskets of clay balls sitting on cinder blocks to give that little bit of height. I need to get a small aquarium chiller for my next grow and prob add another light unit but is going ok so far. It's been prob 18-20 years since my last indoor grow so just getting the feel for it again.

Tmp 6132 20170303 202416602580301
Tmp 6132 20170303 2023471029073747
Wildill

Wildill

Here's a couple i took tonight. I use a small water feature submersible pump to circulate and I've got buckets with baskets of clay balls sitting on cinder blocks to give that little bit of height. I need to get a small aquarium chiller for my next grow and prob add another light unit but is going ok so far. It's been prob 18-20 years since my last indoor grow so just getting the feel for it again.
Nice what size buckets

Typhoon72

Typhoon72

About 15 litre buckets. Essentially just to hold pots and roots not really DWC. It seems to work well with just stuff from the local hardware store and garden centre. Min 4 hour drive to the nearest Hydro shop and getting stuff mail order in a small town just draws unwanted attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom