Driver with 17 bags of cannabis waste walks free

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Didn't think this was worthy of front page news, but worth a read. I can't believe they didn't track them back to the growroom...

Driver had cannabis waste
Last updated: 17/03/2009 15:00:00

A MOTORIST who had 21 bin liners of cannabis in his car has walked free from court.

South East Suffolk Magistrates heard that four bags contained rotting cannabis leaf and the remaining 17 held cannabis root bulbs which were described as worthless “rubbish”.

Police stopped a Vauxhall Vectra driven by Saad Abbas in The Street, Nacton on March 10 during a routine night time traffic check.

A strong smell of cannabis was detected and initially police thought they had unearthed a “serious case” of drug possession.

Andrea Reynolds, prosecuting, said the 30-year-old's passenger Mai Quynh Le, 28, gave officers false details.

Ms Reynolds said: “Police found 21 bags of cannabis waste and not herbal cannabis as first thought. The police drugs team were asked for their opinion on the value of what was found. The leaf matter was smelly and composting and would only have a street value if dried or if there was the production of resin.”

She said the root bulbs were worthless and it was likely the bags were going to be dumped.

Abbas of Roundwood Road, Ipswich pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and to having no motor insurance, test certificate or licence.

Le of Braintree pleaded guilty to possession and to obstructing a police officer at an earlier hearing.

David Stewart mitigating, said: “She found these bags where she was living, she telephoned her boyfriend and they were taking them in his car to the Ipswich dump but it was closed.”

He added that Vietnamese Le was punished with one day's detention in custody due to her immigration status.

He added that Abbas was in an “unfair” position because he had an Ipswich address.

Mr Stewart said his client, who was unemployed due to back problems should receive the same sentence as he had spent two nights in custody following his arrest.

Magistrates gave Abbas a conditional discharge and told him if he stayed out of trouble for the next 12 months he would hear no more about the matter.

He was fined £120 for the motoring offences and told to pay £60 towards court costs.

Abbas declined to comment after the hearing.

Le's fingerprints revealed that she was a failed Vietnamese asylum seeker who exhausted every avenue of application in 2005.

Deportation papers have been served.

Source:

B

British_Hempire

So they catch an illegal immigrant with evidence of a large grow and they don't bust them or deport her? Jeez, what's the UK coming to! To be only fined 120 for not having a licence or insurance is shocking too, he should have got a short prison term for that, but i did see on the hews the other day we only have 800 prison places left, the prisons are virtually full.

S

Somnambulist

This is an example of how the actual enforcement of the laws is silly, some get charged, others don't, people with minor penalties get thrown in a cage while others commiting more serious offenses walk. (not saying he should have been thrown in jail, but I'd bet they treat people in minor possesion of cannabis there more harshly than they treated this guy)

I am from the US where laws are different, but it is similar here in terms of bizarre prison terms.

I have a friend who is doing a federal "mandatory minimum" sentence in prison for possesion of cannabis, while at the same time I also know someone (my sisters friend) who was let off with a "deferred sentence" for "involuntary" manslaughter.

Granted, the manslaughter was technically considered unintentional, but the fact that he is walking free for ending anothers life while driving drunk and my friend who only had a bit of cannabis on him is locked in a cage for years is utterly f'in ridiculous in my opinion.

When people in the US say that robbers/killers/rapists get out of prison long before many cannabis offenders, they are not at all exagerrating. The US, for some insane reason, views cannabis as a more serious offense than almost any other.

BH, we have the same problem with overcrowded prisons here too, except guess what they do here? That's right. They let people convicted of rape, child molestation, violent assaults, and even murder out early to make way for the mandatory minimum drug offenders...

No shit.

Its fucking insane. (please excuse the language)

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but the laws and the enforcement here just baffle me.

Top Bottom