Drooping after complete root transplant

• Thread starter joshua9595
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

joshua9595

Hello.

I have posted before about my drooping plant but now is for another reason.

I have given her a complete root transplant due to having drainage problems with my soil and she was starting to get root rot.

I have taken put her in a fresh bed of soil with perlite in. Then have been feeding with water at first but she started to show signs of deficiency...(I think)..So I put her on a low dose of coco A and coco B and a little pH Down, because I don't know how sensitive she is to the feed due to having lost a chunk of roots.

She still has some green leafs at ten days after transplant. Some leafs are yellowing at the tips. (Looks like they are dying slowly) I will remove these when needed if she is worth keeping.

Is she going to spring back to life?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hello.

I have posted before about my drooping plant but now is for another reason.

I have given her a complete root transplant due to having drainage problems with my soil and she was starting to get root rot.

I have taken put her in a fresh bed of soil with perlite in. Then have been feeding with water at first but she started to show signs of deficiency...(I think)..So I put her on a low dose of coco A and coco B and a little pH Down, because I don't know how sensitive she is to the feed due to having lost a chunk of roots.

She still has some green leafs at ten days after transplant. Some leafs are yellowing at the tips. (Looks like they are dying slowly) I will remove these when needed if she is worth keeping.

Is she going to spring back to life?
We're going to need pictures and more information about your grow. You said you're in soil but you're using coco A and B. Coco and soil are really not the same and should be treated differently.

As for the root issue/transplant shock, they usually eventually pull through. After these 10 days, how wet is the soil?

J

joshua9595

We're going to need pictures and more information about your grow. You said you're in soil but you're using coco A and B. Coco and soil are really not the same and should be treated differently.

As for the root issue/transplant shock, they usually eventually pull through. After these 10 days, how wet is the soil?
Okay so I'll start you from seed..

* I have germinated two black apple Hitchcock seeds in paper towel in two plates in a nice warm place.

* Planted the sprouts in soil witch I bought from the garden store. I know coco is better but I here from books I have read that the soil is just as good. I planted with no perlite and watered lightly and used clingy over top of the (5L...I think)plant pot to keep the humidity in while they show.

I know there is other stuff you can add to the soil to help the pH and other things iv not read about yet but I will practice that as I develop my growing skills.

*When showing I have watered them gently around the base of the plant, gradually working roots out to the plant pot as the plant grows (I think I over watered back then as I use less water and water more frequently now.)

*The plant got four sets of stems and I started to feed her with coco A and coco B plant feed samurai. topped her. She started growing again slowly after a few days.

*after the soil dried out I watered her again with the coco solution and fed the plant the whole litre of water until water was in the tray at the bottom. (I thought this is what you have to do to get the roots down to the bottom of the plant pot so I could start feeding from the tray.).

*I start to get fungus nats but not many. The a day after the litre of water the plant droops and wilt's at one side. I let the soil dry out and she got better. I let the soil dry out too much due to it looking wet 😶 and she drooped a little bit so I watered her again, she got better.

*The next watering I watered her not too much but she started drooping again so I let her dry out and nothing happened.
I made the choice to give her a full root transplant to save her. I gently loosened the pot from the soil and ruffled the soil away from the roots. I lost a lot of roots doing this. I then put her in a new bigger pot probably 8Lwith perlite, used water only to feed her.

I have been watering her every two or three days just depending on how wet the soil is. Three days ago she started to get nutrition deficiency on small parts of the leafs so I have started her on 1.5ml of coco A and coco A samurai solution and some pH down.

She seems to be yellowing more now than she was yesterday.

Received 430397255728553
Received 3263719500549209
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

First, who said coco is better? It's not. It's also not worse. It's a different medium than soil and needs to be treated more like hydro than soil. You need to pick one method and stick to it. People who use coco like that they have total control over the feed since, unless its added by the manufacturer, coco has no nutes.

Second, over-watering means watering too frequently. You want to saturate the soil completely when you water. You should be seeing run-off. Then you wait for the soil to dry back before you water again.

When was the last time you watered? What does the moisture level of the soil say when you use the moisture meter that's shown in your the picture. You've got root problems and feeding them right now is probably counter productive. I'm not familiar with coco-A and coco-B. To save me the effort to search for it can you please post a link? (I've got the Penn State/Ohio State game on right now lol)

Last for now ... tell me about your lighting and if you have your ppfd reading at the canopy, please post it in your next response.

J

joshua9595

I have just heard about coco been good. If I do use coco to when I re-pot is the coco soil better or the coco mix?

Thankyou for your help I think she is going to die but I have a healthy black apple and two baby blue cheeses in the tent just in case.

I have a 600w hps and I water when I can press down a half inch with my knuckle and not feel moisture. I haven't been using the pH and moisture meter sinse I re potted as the roots are in the center of the pot and I don't want you use too much water because of fungus nats. I have got a 60ml syringe 💉 I stick in areas around the base of the plant and water. 180-240ml every two to three days.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Coco vs Soil. Neither are essentially better. The one you choose will depend on how you want to grow. Do you want full control over plant nutrition? Do you want something that is a bit more hands off? Your answers and your grow styles have a big influence over which medium is best for you.

I've found some information on it ... someone is questioning if it has PGRs in it. You may want to research that. In my book, most pgrs are a no no from a health stand point. This is not saying it has any in it ... just one person's review suggested it might.

As for watering ... I think your watering practices are contributing to your problems. You want to thoroughly soak the medium and let it dry back for 3-5 days in a soil grow. In coco, you'll water more often. If you're set on coco for your medium, we need to get a hydro/coco grower involved in this thread.

@Aqua Man can you assist please?

Edit: Here's a thread on watering coco

TSD

TSD

"When showing I have watered them gently around the base of the plant, gradually working roots out to the plant pot as the plant grows (I think I over watered back then as I use less water and water more frequently now.)"

That's your problem and not the correct way to water soil, you are drowning her, and depriving her roots of oxygen, that's why she has root rot. Overwatering usually means too often, not too much. You want to completely saturate the entire soil till a small amount of runoff, you also need your pots up off the ground and out of the tray for airflow, I wouldn't suggest trying to feed from the bottom at this point. A plant that size could go from 3 to 7 days or maybe even more between waterings depending on environmental conditions. Sticking your finger a half inch down proves nothing, the water table and roots are much lower. You need to get a feel for watering by weight and use the meter as a backup. I have watering down and I still use an analog meter just to be sure sometimes, if that shit isn't at a 1 or 2, she gets nothing lol.

TSD

TSD

Here's a great write up that Aquaman did that helps explain how to water and why.

J

joshua9595

Coco vs Soil. Neither are essentially better. The one you choose will depend on how you want to grow. Do you want full control over plant nutrition? Do you want something that is a bit more hands off? Your answers and your grow styles have a big influence over which medium is best for you.

I've found some information on it ... someone is questioning if it has PGRs in it. You may want to research that. In my book, most pgrs are a no no from a health stand point. This is not saying it has any in it ... just one person's review suggested it might.

As for watering ... I think your watering practices are contributing to your problems. You want to thoroughly soak the medium and let it dry back for 3-5 days in a soil grow. In coco, you'll water more often. If you're set on coco for your medium, we need to get a hydro/coco grower involved in this thread.

@Aqua Man can you assist please?

Edit: Here's a thread on watering coco

Thankyou for the info 👍 I really appreciate it. I will use a different technique when watering now and Thankyou for the link. I will have a read

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You need to get it up out of the drip pan. It can not drain properly and you will get root rot again. fill the drip pan with golf balls or marbles or something so that you have about an inch of air under the pot.

Read these and you will understand why.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

Watering COCO

Top Bottom