Drooping all day then perk up

• Thread starter whelksemengmail.com
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whelksemengmail.com

whelksemengmail.com

These plants are 5 weeks old on 18/6 light schedule. I underfed them a bit when they were seedlings but think I have sorted that out now. However every morning they are drooping and it takes them about 8 hrs to perk up. Is this normal or is it a problem. Thanks
Drooping all day then perk up

Trixie

Trixie

Your plants are showing water transpiration symptoms. Keep the air in the tent moving as much as possible so the plants can transpire the excess moisture. Put your hand under the bottom of the fabric in the middle and feel if it's saturated. If it is saturated you need to prop the containers up off the tray to dry in the middle for a while. I use 3 mason jar lids to lift my pots off the floor. Watch your water intake and allow the top inch of the soil or so to dry before watering.

Cannagar

Cannagar

Your plants are showing water transpiration symptoms. Keep the air in the tent moving as much as possible so the plants can transpire the excess moisture. Put your hand under the bottom of the fabric in the middle and feel if it's saturated. If it is saturated you need to prop the containers up off the tray to dry in the middle for a while. I use 3 mason jar lids to lift my pots off the floor. Watch your water intake and allow the top inch of the soil or so to dry before watering.
If you think its a transpiration issue then OP needs to find out what the RH % is in the air and adjust accordingly.
But It is worth mentioning that plants droop overnight as they dont need to expend energy to remain upright and then perk up in the daytime. But 8 hours to do so sounds way to long…

Did OP change their light schedule (when the lights turn on?) Because that could cause this; the plant “remembers” when the sun used to come up.

Lastly OP said they think they underfed when they were seedlings. If anything you likely didnt. If you mean literal seedlings then during that time they would have required 0 feeding ESPECIALLY if they were in potting soil. So by not doing so you likely avoided nutrient burn early on.

Cannagar

Cannagar

These plants also look under watered. Plants of this size should be requiring about 1.5 gallons of water every other day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
" Plants of this size should be requiring about 1.5 gallons of water every other day."

That would depend on the media and temperature, I get 3 days between watering / feeding in 3 gal pots...I get 4 days out of 5 gallon pots with Promix type soils......In the heat of the summer I'll only get 2 days in fabric pots but still 3 in plastic.

Cannagar

Cannagar

" Plants of this size should be requiring about 1.5 gallons of water every other day."

That would depend on the media and temperature, I get 3 days between watering / feeding in 3 gal pots...I get 4 days out of 5 gallon pots with Promix type soils......In the heat of the summer I'll only get 2 days in fabric pots but still 3 in plastic.
Thats true. But what I said has been true in my experience and grow environment which is between 64-75 degrees Fahrenheit and RH of 55%-65%. Hotter temperatures, lower RH %, increased airflow, and/or stronger light intensity (not to exceed what the plant is capable of utilizing) can all change how frequently the plant needs to be watered. But I wouldn’t recommend anything less than 1.5 gallons every 3 days. Because under/overwatering is a real issue for most new growers. And while that could possibly be slightly overwatering (if in very non-ideal conditions) it certainly wouldnt be overwatering. And even if it were to be, with those being fabric pots; it wouldnt drown the plant by any means.

The real danger is under watering at this stage for most new growers (in my experience)

Anthem

Anthem

Thats true. But what I said has been true in my experience and grow environment which is between 64-75 degrees Fahrenheit and RH of 55%-65%. Hotter temperatures, lower RH %, increased airflow, and/or stronger light intensity (not to exceed what the plant is capable of utilizing) can all change how frequently the plant needs to be watered. But I wouldn’t recommend anything less than 1.5 gallons every 3 days. Because under/overwatering is a real issue for most new growers. And while that could possibly be slightly overwatering (if in very non-ideal conditions) it certainly wouldnt be overwatering. And even if it were to be, with those being fabric pots; it wouldnt drown the plant by any means.

The real danger is under watering at this stage for most new growers (in my experience)
You really come off like a season pro with many years of growing but your numbers are way out of line. Even at the height of flower a large plant, say 5' tall in 5 gall pots will be perfectly fine with 40 once of water every day. considering the size of the plant 32 once every 3 days is more in order. Secondly, you last comment about under watering is completely false, small plants needs to be pushed in all media so they will be forced to develop roots. You my friend are part of the problem giving out poor advise.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

finally!!!! whats up with that!!! Your plants look OVER watered if anything! I water based upon perk if your plants are drooping in the morning after watering and taking all day to perk up what does that tell us? but anyhow without some grow info we cant properly diagnose your problems;

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What size containers are they planted in?
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
16. How much experience do you have growing?

Cannagar

Cannagar

You really come off like a season pro with many years of growing but your numbers are way out of line. Even at the height of flower a large plant, say 5' tall in 5 gall pots will be perfectly fine with 40 once of water every day. considering the size of the plant 32 once every 3 days is more in order. Secondly, you last comment about under watering is completely false, small plants needs to be pushed in all media so they will be forced to develop roots. You my friend are part of the problem giving out poor advise.
I would never claim to be a seasoned pro in any sense. I do know a thing or two because ive seen a thing or 2 haha. but if you look through any of my post history ill be the first to defer to more experienced growers. That said, I think that often the advice handed out is great…. for seasoned growers. Trying to push the plant to optimize yields can be counterintuitive for people on their first grow and they over stress the plant. I know I did.

All im saying is that for people new to the game I just tend to recommend playing it safe instead of trying to get just a little more growth. Its better to have a healthy and slightly smaller plant than one so stressed because a new grower is terrified they might be overwatering that it stunts its growth and causes its own issues.

That said, I appreciate your reply and Im always looking to learn more. Merry Christmas! 😃

Top Bottom