Droopy leaves from the heat?

• Thread starter AndyBoi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Soil is a mix of coco perlite potting soil. 40/20/40 kinda ratio.

I feed general hydroponics when the pot is light to carry. Run off and feed around 6.5PH

This plant stays outside 24/7 there has been no rain in the past 3 weeks im confident it is not overwatered.

There has been some high heat days recently, around 35 celcius/ 95 fahrenheit. The plant would look really droopy after a hot day but would recover and return to perky over night.

My plant has looked droopy now for 36 hours and im not sure why.

Most recent feeding was at the end of a hot day. It was droopy but perked up overnight. The next evening it started to droop and has not recovered.

Photos are of same plant 2 days apart.

Anything helps.

Much thanks

Droopy leaves from the heat
Droopy leaves from the heat 2
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Needs LOTS more water during heat waves. I’ve got two in 15-gallon pots (a bit bigger than yours) and each is getting 2-3 gallons per day. Yours could easily take 1-2 gallons per day. FYI…during prolonged periods of heat, skip the normal rules of “let it go dry” before watering and keep her happy. I also started covering the soil with foil insulation to keep heat off soil.

B2CEE090 AE73 4A9B BB14 AA393A349FFE
DA580306 42B4 44E6 A397 75B02B894C53
79DDF006 F153 4453 9AC9 6FB1FC1D67AB
AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Needs LOTS more water during heat waves. I’ve got two in 15-gallon pots (a bit bigger than yours) and each is getting 2-3 gallons per day. Yours could easily take 1-2 gallons per day. FYI…during prolonged periods of heat, skip the normal rules of “let it go dry” before watering and keep her happy. I also started covering the soil with foil insulation to keep heat off soil.
Thanks thats a good idea.
What do you think is causing the droop?

Reactions: PK1
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Soil is a mix of coco perlite potting soil. 40/20/40 kinda ratio.

I feed general hydroponics when the pot is light to carry. Run off and feed around 6.5PH

This plant stays outside 24/7 there has been no rain in the past 3 weeks im confident it is not overwatered.

There has been some high heat days recently, around 35 celcius/ 95 fahrenheit. The plant would look really droopy after a hot day but would recover and return to perky over night.

My plant has looked droopy now for 36 hours and im not sure why.

Most recent feeding was at the end of a hot day. It was droopy but perked up overnight. The next evening it started to droop and has not recovered.

Photos are of same plant 2 days apart.

Anything helps.

Much thanks
Along with the above advice,your container is getting too hot,if it's in the ground the roots stay cool,in the pail they are the same temp as ambient. Also dark pot gets hotter quicker,I bet the pot is hot to the touch.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Thank you all very much. Ill water her right now and post an update later.

Much appreciated

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thank you all very much. Ill water her right now and post an update later.

Much appreciated
If you put a time lapse camera on her you can watch her drink and the leaves can recover in maybe a half an hour if this is the only issue. Aqua man has a video here somewhere that shows the plant recover in like 8 minutes, not even time lapse, in front of your eyes.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Something no one else has mentioned that’s not helping is the soil/coco mix you made in your case I’d go will soil it’s easier/less work in the hot climate

Coco needs lots of water all day long

You have combined 2 totally different medias imo pick 1

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Also consider burying your pot up to the rim. That alone will keep the roots as cool as if they were in ground. And don’t forget the H2O.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
what you would need to do is feed her to drain at 6am and another one at 5/6 pm so essentially one in the morning and one afternoon. That will keep the soil moist through the hot afternoons.

Madbud

Madbud

That dark pot will hit 140° in direct sun, you should insulate it somehow.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I wrap my above ground pots in foil insulation that reflects much of the sunlight hitting the pot. You can also wrap a light colored towel around the pot and wet it multiple times a day. I’m also watering twice a day in morning and evening and it’s definitely needed during the New England heat wave.

EF15C705 F30A 4EAC 959B 76A32916C092
AndyBoi

AndyBoi

That dark pot will hit 140° in direct sun, you should insulate it somehow.
I wrap my above ground pots in foil insulation that reflects much of the sunlight hitting the pot. You can also wrap a light colored towel around the pot and wet it multiple times a day. I’m also watering twice a day in morning and evening and it’s definitely needed during the New England heat wave.
I think you are both right, im going to have to keep the temperature down in the soil. I like what you have done nashoba. Ill probably do something very simular.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

what you would need to do is feed her to drain at 6am and another one at 5/6 pm so essentially one in the morning and one afternoon. That will keep the soil moist through the hot afternoons.
Both waterings a full dose of nutrient feed? Or nutrients in every other feed?

Brownthumb

Brownthumb

Definitely wrap your pot with reflective insulation…. Sun will burn up the roots if its hits your black pots!!! Can always wrap a white towel around them..

Top Bottom