Dropping the water level a few inches below the net pot?

• Thread starter MonsterRobot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Just wondering why some people drop the water level below the net pot and how and why this benefits the plants?

Have any of you had good results by doing this and have you had bad results by not doing this? Just looking for peoples thoughts...

From what I have read it simulates drought or something and helps with resin production?

Thanks,
MonsterRobot

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Water level variances can be used for a variety of different reasons ranging from encouraging bloom induction to reacting to the absorption properties of differing substrates.

There is actually plenty of margin for error in this department(other than level riding too high on wicking media like rockwool and over saturation which can lend to rot) so you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you. Just be sure to stay consistent with what you do and be sure the level you choose keeps the plants adequately hydrated.

Z

ZombieSlave

I dunno i say dont do it. keep the water lvl the same the entire time.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

You keep your water level the same all the time?. Give it a try and watch your girls drink and swell.. Moving the water level has huge advantages. Do you always keep the water above the bottom of the net pots?

Z

ZombieSlave

well i think they do like drinking swell then refilling and repete, thats kinda what i do more. but the water line moves only like and inch.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

I believe that UC suggests cutting the water level in half during flower

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Once my roots are thick and well established outside the net pots I drop the water an inch or so below the pot. I continue to lower bi weekly an inch or so, and by the end of flower my water sits a good 2 in lower then the ridge on the epi bucket. I have made an extension on my float to accomplished this. This is where this strain likes to end, reading your plants they will tell you fast if they like the drop or they like the water where it was.. Drought conditions is a plus imo.

Z

ZombieSlave

ok I hear you, I get the water lvl a few inches above the T and let them drink it down to under the T. then I refill with fresh RO and add back if the PPM drop alot. this sound ok? Im doing something like this right now almost on a daily basis, they look happy and healthy.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I use my float valve and a res to control my water level and keep it where I set it. I lower my level by controlling my float valve.. I don't manually control daily.. I'm not sure how big your plants/system is but my girls drink 45 gal a day. That's a lot to add back manually daily. If I were u I would let them drink ro from your res as they need, being controlled by your float valve, when your ppms drop 200ppms or so add back nutes, pres mixed in a 5 gallon bucket, slowly over a half hour or so and bring your UC back to desired ppm setting. I keep my res at the same ppm as my UC and let them drink. The add backs of the ppms and feeding ro till the ppms drop is the way BG does it and look how good he does.. hope this helps bro. I would def hook up your float valve and let them drink as they wish.. peace A4FD

S

sourkush91

I def agree with the float valve for a top off it is alot easier... My system isnt huge but still go through alot of water when the girls get big... I use nutrient rich water to top off with for a few reasons... I learned my nutrient line and how it reacts after of few days of the girls eating and drinking... I know after about 3 days my ph will rise as my plants eat and drink so i make my top off res a little lower in ph than the water in my system that way the equil each other out... Also just in my opinion I think dropping the water level when you flip to 12/12 has a great advantage i have had better success doing this then leaving it the same the whole run... hope this helps

Z

ZombieSlave

I use my float valve and a res to control my water level and keep it where I set it. I lower my level by controlling my float valve.. I don't manually control daily.. I'm not sure how big your plants/system is but my girls drink 45 gal a day. That's a lot to add back manually daily. If I were u I would let them drink ro from your res as they need, being controlled by your float valve, when your ppms drop 200ppms or so add back nutes, pres mixed in a 5 gallon bucket, slowly over a half hour or so and bring your UC back to desired ppm setting. I keep my res at the same ppm as my UC and let them drink. The add backs of the ppms and feeding ro till the ppms drop is the way BG does it and look how good he does.. hope this helps bro. I would def hook up your float valve and let them drink as they wish.. peace A4FD

I am do exactly this and my results are stellar so far. 8 plants I think they drink about 10 gals a day right now. (day 17 flower if that).

your explanation helpd me understand that what Im doing now is correct(1st run i was doing it wrong). I have a slight issue with 1 of my plants being seated a little too low in the net pot. and its in a rockwole cube, I let the lvl drop and inch or so to let it dry out for a while then i bring it back up again, by turning my Res Valve back on.
so im doing it more so as a precaution to thwart stem rot with 1 of my girls.

Top Bottom