Drug dogs false alert over 200 times in UC Davis study

• Thread starter TheRealBoss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheRealBoss

Drug dogs false alert over 200 times in UC Davis study
February 4th, 2011 By: Russ Belville, NORML Outreach Coordinator
Share this Article Share This Page on digg Share This Page on Reddit Share This Page on del.icio.us Share This Page on Stumble Upon Share This Page on Facebook Share This Page on Twitter Share This Page on Technorati Get the Feed to this Blog

One of the favorite tools of law enforcement officers looking to bust cannabis consumers is the K-9 unit (or as George Clinton once called ‘em, the “dope dog”). These dogs are highly trained to use their super sense of smell to detect narcotics and explosives. Paired with a handler, they are often called in to search suspect vehicles in traffic stops and signal, or “alert” when contraband is detected.

Researchers at UC Davis decided to put the K-9s to the test and it didn’t turn out well for the cop’s best friend. These detection dogs, whose alerts are used to justify search warrants and convict cannabis consumers, gave false alerts more than 200 times.

Where's the ball? Where's the drugs? Where's the food? I'll do anything to make you happy, master!

(SF Gate) The accuracy of drug- and explosives-sniffing dogs is affected by human handlers’ beliefs, possibly in response to subtle, unintentional cues, UC Davis researchers have found.

The study, published in the January issue of the journal Animal Cognition, found that detection-dog teams erroneously “alerted,” or identified a scent, when there was no scent present more than 200 times — particularly when the handler believed that there was scent present.

“It isn’t just about how sensitive a dog’s nose is or how well-trained a dog is,” says Lisa Lit, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Neurology and the study’s lead author. “There are cognitive factors affecting the interaction between a dog and a handler that can impact the dog’s performance.”

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/pets/detail?entry_id=82270#ixzz1D2nQC9Ir

The researchers took 18 drug dog teams to a church, where it is likely no drugs or explosives had ever been placed in the past. The cops were told there might be up to three target scents in any one of four rooms. If they saw a piece of red construction paper in the room, that indicated where a target scent was placed.

The first room was left untouched. The second room had a piece of red construction paper on a cabinet. The third room had two sausages and two tennis balls placed as decoys. The fourth room had the decoy scents and the red paper. However, none of the rooms had any drugs or explosives.

There shouldn’t have been any alerts, but, in fact, handlers indicated their dog had alerted in every room. There were more alerts in rooms with red paper (which piques the cop’s interest) and no corresponding increase in rooms with sausages and tennis balls (which would pique a dog’s interest).

In other words, at best, dogs are responding to the subtle non-verbal cues of their masters to find drugs or explosives where the human thinks there should be drugs or explosives. The cop suspects you have pot so his body language makes the dog alert. At worst, the cop is purposefully cuing his dog to alert when he wants a handy excuse to violate your 4th Amendment rights.

Three years ago in Aspen a member of the NORML Legal Committee, Dan Monnat, gave an expert presentation of the faulty use of drug dogs to convict cannabis consumers. Listen to the presentation below to get a good idea how law enforcement misuses the K-9’s testimony in court.

B

Bobby Smith

This could be some awesome chit...............maybe this will get the ball rolling.

Thanks for posting this.

half baked

half baked

with owning a dog i understand how subtle these cues can be, the handler often knows about these and use it to there advantage, its wrong but they do it, usually when the officer suspects something but the dog doesnt indicate anything thats when they do it, to have grounds for a further search, like a loophole for police to further the investigation and to cover their backs saying ?the dog indicated something? its wrong

peace hb

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just posted the abstract to that study. I'm posting this story on it as well. Why? I've got a couple friends who are former LEO, and one of them used to be a K9 trainer and handler as well. She's now an EMT training to become a nurse, law enforcement just got to be too much for her, which is saying a lot, she's a tough gal.

E

EuDiesel

I knew it! I knew it...

sadly what does that mean for us. The Supreme Court ruled it...its a long battle to revoke this tactic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom