Dry / Cure Not A Fan Of The Whole Glass Jar

• Thread starter Mrmidtown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mrmidtown

Mrmidtown

So I did a experiment last Harvey.

1st I did the whole Chop Em down I do a wet manicure just all the sucker/ fan leaves and any stems I cut back most whole plants except for 4 that are going to re clone. Those I left a few popcorn nugs and fan leaves.
2nd after 7 days I took half and did the whole finishing manicure and put in jars did the whole burp thing for 2 to 3 times a day for 3 weeks.
3rd the other half has still been hanging up in the dry room that I keep perfect temp and humidity. I have a air condition and dehumidifier and a fan plus my barometer that I monitor as best as possible.
I’ve come to the hypothesis that the final product that was left on the hanging plants was way better had better taste look better as far shape. Even after over 2 months wasn’t all dried out.
Extra Extra:: I also dried one where I washed all the dirt away from rot ball and dried the whole plant roots and all that one was interesting took a little longer and a lot of work washing the rootball.
But It never seen a jar.
Does anyone else have any ideas??

Mrmidtown

Mrmidtown

I have had good luck with these kind of containers. They have air lock clips on side plus they are not clear.

DismalDude

DismalDude

1st I did the whole Chop Em down I do a wet manicure just all the sucker/ fan leaves and any stems I cut back most whole plants except for 4 that are going to re clone. Those I left a few popcorn nugs and fan leaves.
2nd after 7 days I took half and did the whole finishing manicure and put in jars did the whole burp thing for 2 to 3 times a day for 3 weeks.
3rd the other half has still been hanging up in the dry room that I keep perfect temp and humidity. I have a air condition and dehumidifier and a fan plus my barometer that I monitor as best as possible.
I’ve come to the hypothesis that the final product that was left on the hanging plants was way better had better taste look better as far shape. Even after over 2 months wasn’t all dried out.
Extra Extra:: I also dried one where I washed all the dirt away from rot ball and dried the whole plant roots and all that one was interesting took a little longer and a lot of work washing the rootball.
But It never seen a jar.
I think mostly we do what works best for us and our product. The drying and curing is so important we all want the best method. I don't know what the best method is but I do know what works for me.

Mrmidtown

Mrmidtown

I think mostly we do what works best for us and our product. The drying and curing is so important we all want the best method. I don't know what the best method is but I do know what works for me.
True to that. Do you do the whole jar thing?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

But It never seen a jar.

It sounds like you put those buds in the jar too quickly; they were not dry enough. You might have needed another 3 to 7 days hanging. Personally I wait until the stems snap before I go into jars. I have also left them hanging for an extra day or two just to be sure. There are so many variables that could effect the final quality of a cure, following specifics like letting plants dry for 7 days or wet trimming is never going to give your best results. You must learn what your environment is like and how it will effect your drying and curing process.

Also there are brown glass jars available from Ball.

Mrmidtown

Mrmidtown

It sounds like you put those buds in the jar too quickly; they were not dry enough. You might have needed another 3 to 7 days hanging. Personally I wait until the stems snap before I go into jars. I have also left them hanging for an extra day or two just to be sure. There are so many variables that could effect the final quality of a cure, following specifics like letting plants dry for 7 days or wet trimming is never going to give your best results. You must learn what your environment is like and how it will effect your drying and curing process.

Also there are brown glass jars available from Ball.
Yeah I’ve always waited until the stems are not bending they might not snap off. Next time I’ll try and make sure they snap. I started growing in 1996 and have tried every method known to man. Everyone has there way that works for them. I think room atmosphere has a ton to do with it. Some strains just cure better I think. Thank You for your feedback that’s why I’m here..

DismalDude

DismalDude

True to that. Do you do the whole jar thing?
I do the jar thing. When I harvest I hang entire plant for about a week. At that point I'm looking for dried fan leaves and the bud not entirely dry. I then trim and put into paper bags loosely closed for about 5 days and then they are ready for the jars. Burp once or twice and then sealed. It's been working perfectly for me for a few years now and everyone comments how great it smells,tastes,and smoothness.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Yeah I’ve always waited until the stems are not bending they might not snap off. Next time I’ll try and make sure they snap. I started growing in 1996 and have tried every method known to man. Everyone has there way that works for them. I think room atmosphere has a ton to do with it. Some strains just cure better I think. Thank You for your feedback that’s why I’m here..

I agree whole heartedly, everyone will do it a bit different based on what works for them. You clearly have a method that works for you and why change what ain’t broken, right? And some strains just are better, cure or not.

Monster762

Monster762

But It never seen a jar.
If grown n dried right n good strain it don’t need no jar. I got ton of jars n don’t use em til it’s done done. I just air dry then put in plastic Rubbermaid’s also do wet trim
I’ve used jars n the plastics better. It breathes just barely.

DTG

DTG

I partially wet trim, big fans & medium size leaves, hang for about 10 - 12 days or until stick snaps, then finish trim nice & neat like. Then in the jars burping as we go for another 14 days or so. I have never tried these humidity packs so can't comment on that. Back in the old days I just used zip type freezer bags & placed them in a garbage bag in my dads root cellar for a week. Worked ok until he found it once. & I firmly believe that is where the phrase : I am holding it for a friend . . , was born.

I have 2 left & I think I might try hanging the whole root ball to see how that goes . . .

Good luck. . .

Don.

London bud

London bud

If grown n dried right n good strain it don’t need no jar. I got ton of jars n don’t use em til it’s done done. I just air dry then put in plastic Rubbermaid’s also do wet trim
I’ve used jars n the plastics better. It breathes just barely.
Personally I think glass jars are Better than plastic, i was curing in plastic jars and moved it all into glass jars, within a day the bud started smelling much better. I think plastic ruins the taste of your bud, it's like who thinks coca cola taste better out of a plastic bottle compared to a glass bottle?

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Jars suck. Here's how to properly dry and store your weed:

First, drop temps several days and harvest before daylight. This is how you flush organic bud. If you're not growing organic/probiotic/microbial digestion and concerned with quality, back to square one.

Next you need to break the plants ability to hold moisture as slow as possible. So slow that it can't tell it's been chopped. This means increasing RH not dropping it. Mold doesn't form on healthy (high Brix, high lipid, high acid) crops. Also means leaving the plant as intact as possible. Trimming wet is the equivalent of blow torching your crop imo. Going from a reducing RH straight into jars will ruin your buds. It has to be gradual, gradually seal things up. Going straight from hanging into jars, youll spend weeks or months waiting for them to halfway recover and believing you did it right. We call that mids where I come from. Its like riding a bike halfway down a wheelchair ramp then turning around and riding back up the stairs. I'll just ride up the smooth ramp, in the right direction from the beginning...

Ever since I was a kid, I remember sneaking into a relatives house during harvest, they had plastic sheets over the lines. Guess it just stuck with me. So I use bags. Tighten the bags, less airspace as you go. Add layers as you go. Dry and cure shouldn't be two seperate events. If it is, your part 2 (cure) is recovery mode from fucking up part one (dry).

Now we have vaccum bags. I will never store herb in a glass jar unless it's bagged. I use Glasslock, but only with double vaccum. Or one layer of Mylar foil, equal to 2 layers of food saver in my experience. I use Glasslock because any decent crop will permeate triple vaccum in about 2 days. My storage room still stinks through Glasslock but my whole house doesn't.

The group of myths about leeching plastic, static electricity, etc are just blind assumptions, assuming we're working with quality. I don't know about all this oilless emaciated hydro crap. Its irrelevant to quality, its not a quality product so who cares. You cant cure something that hasn't been building up 2ndary metabolites for the past 3 months. If trichs are falling off your bud at room temp don't blame that on high quality plastic, blame it on low quality herb.

I've scrapped more crap out of jars than baggies over the years,and it always smells like sweaty feet coming out of a jar. I will always weigh out ounces into fold tops and line them up in vaccum bags,squeezed just enough that they can't wiggle and fit like a jigsaw puzzle. Then they go in Glasslock tubs for long term storage. Never without a ziploc and 2 layers of FOOD GRADE vacc. I would never use any Rubbermaid storage tubs, or any plastic with a smell, thats just ridiculous.

No I'm not ruining trichs with plastic. Even with a scope it looks the same. I vape the smallest amounts possible (0.025 grams) to test this sort of thing. Jars sucks. There is no bpa in food grade plastic either, but there is in canning lids, lol.. Think I've covered all the bases here.

Monster762

Monster762

First, drop temps several days and harvest before daylight. This is how you flush organic bud. If you're not growing organic/probiotic/microbial digestion and concerned with quality, back to square one.

Next you need to break the plants ability to hold moisture as slow as possible. So slow that it can't tell it's been chopped. This means increasing RH not dropping it. Mold doesn't form on healthy (high Brix, high lipid, high acid) crops. Also means leaving the plant as intact as possible. Trimming wet is the equivalent of blow torching your crop imo. Going from a reducing RH straight into jars will ruin your buds. It has to be gradual, gradually seal things up. Going straight from hanging into jars, youll spend weeks or months waiting for them to halfway recover and believing you did it right. We call that mids where I come from. Its like riding a bike halfway down a wheelchair ramp then turning around and riding back up the stairs. I'll just ride up the smooth ramp, in the right direction from the beginning...

Ever since I was a kid, I remember sneaking into a relatives house during harvest, they had plastic sheets over the lines. Guess it just stuck with me. So I use bags. Tighten the bags, less airspace as you go. Add layers as you go. Dry and cure shouldn't be two seperate events. If it is, your part 2 (cure) is recovery mode from fucking up part one (dry).

Now we have vaccum bags. I will never store herb in a glass jar unless it's bagged. I use Glasslock, but only with double vaccum. Or one layer of Mylar foil, equal to 2 layers of food saver in my experience. I use Glasslock because any decent crop will permeate triple vaccum in about 2 days. My storage room still stinks through Glasslock but my whole house doesn't.

The group of myths about leeching plastic, static electricity, etc are just blind assumptions, assuming we're working with quality. I don't know about all this oilless emaciated hydro crap. Its irrelevant to quality, its not a quality product so who cares. You cant cure something that hasn't been building up 2ndary metabolites for the past 3 months. If trichs are falling off your bud at room temp don't blame that on high quality plastic, blame it on low quality herb.

I've scrapped more crap out of jars than baggies over the years,and it always smells like sweaty feet coming out of a jar. I will always weigh out ounces into fold tops and line them up in vaccum bags,squeezed just enough that they can't wiggle and fit like a jigsaw puzzle. Then they go in Glasslock tubs for long term storage. Never without a ziploc and 2 layers of FOOD GRADE vacc. I would never use any Rubbermaid storage tubs, or any plastic with a smell, thats just ridiculous.

No I'm not ruining trichs with plastic. Even with a scope it looks the same. I vape the smallest amounts possible (0.025 grams) to test this sort of thing. Jars sucks. There is no bpa in food grade plastic either, but there is in canning lids, lol.. Think I've covered all the bases here.
Uh Rubbermaid food storage containers are food grade. Same or better plastic as the bags.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I cure in a humidor, but it’s specific built for that purpose. Dry/ cure same room. We do jar some, but we vacuum seal after trim. Personally I wet trim. And dry/cure. Commercially we don’t wet trim , straight to dry room/cure, trim then vacuum seal.
Quality, via taste tests, jarred vs vacuum sealed. No difference, perceived or lab tested.
Wet trim vs post dry trim; we do see a higher moisture content this longer dry time, but again no perceived differences.
Each their own I guess but I like the jar method. Why? The stoner in me wants to check our all my hard work! Lol, gets old when you have shit tons of jars hence the humidor now.
Temp, 63-65 dgf, humidity, constant 62%. During drying. Post , into cure, 55 dgf, 62% humidity, until they are vacuum sealed for long term, and even then the vault is 50-55 F, 62%.
But stuff say I’m smoking, jar, at room temp. And whatever the humidity in the room happens to be, I do notice a vast drop in flavor at higher temps and taste is all that changes. The high remains about constant. So again each their own.
Cheers and happy harvesting all. My arms are like Popeyes from cutting and trimming!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

Lol...

Top Bottom