dry ice extraction advice please

• Thread starter curiousorange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
curiousorange

curiousorange

Just saw a video of a guy making dry ice extraction, with no water, through bubble bags. That stuff just seemed to keep falling out. He seemed to get about an ounce from about 4 ounce of trim in less than a few minutes. So my questions are: why isn't this the regular way to get hash from buds? Is it a lower quality? Is it because dry ice is difficult to get a hold of? In my last grow, I noticed a very big difference between dry sift and bubble bag extraction. The dry sift was far better. Will this be the same quality as that? I'm about to take down a load of blueberry and northern lights, there's no trim at all because I've lollypopped it, and I'm gonna make half of the bud into hash. Am I walking into a disaster with dry ice? Any tips? Opinions?

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I only use this method because of it’s simplicity, speed, and quality. You can press the sifted kief into hash using a variety of simple tools. Here’s a list of required items.
1. dry buds cut to quarter-sized pieces
2. Bubble bag size 220 micron (often have to buy the 3-sized bags of 220, 140, 70) then I only use the 220.
3. Dry ice. I get pelletized DI (3/4”x 2” cylinders) but you can get sheets of it and break up with hammer. $20/10lbs.
4. Smooth glass surface (mirror or smooth table top.
5. 2 quart plastic bowl or juice jug.
6. Empty cardboard box with bottom open.

My Method: Others May vary.
—setup open box on shaker surface to contain kief.
—put about 1/2 cup dry ice and about 2 cups buds into plastic bowl and mix slowly for about 30 seconds in order to let ice freeze buds and trichomes.
—pour ice and buds in 220 bag and shake up and down over table for about 1-2 minutes. Kief is usually white or yellow tint so you should stop shaking if green tint starts showing up. This is leaf material you don’t want. Practice and observation will help you dial in your shaking time.
—Kief and CO2 will drop from bag onto surface with CO2 evaporating leaving only kief.
—after done shaking pour used bud and dry ice onto a large 1/4” screen to sift out used bud then you can reuse the dry ice.
—scrape kief together for storage. Remember to scrape vertical walls of box because they also have kief dust on them.
—I’ve sifted 8+ oz into kief in less than an hr.

The pics show that for me 120 grams of buds yielded 17 grams of kief that can be smoked immediately unlike ice bubble hash that requires significant drying time before smoking. The web shows many ways of making dry ice kief. I just adapted my method for me. Hope this info helps you and others. HMU with any more questions. Pics show 2020 sift run after cardboard box removed and kief scraped together and weighed.

to collect dry sift while shaking.

4A491948 962D 49D7 9F3B 3691E32B9111
80D0C5F6 BA55 45AC 9DA5 8B38154648D5
147BAC35 2C80 433D B243 B4A575D913B8
891D2A9F 605E 4F64 8608 8941CBDCDD71
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I make brick hash using a pollen tumbler and haven't attempted using dry ice but find the yield from straight buds seems to be around 20% with no ice

curiousorange

curiousorange

I only use this method because of it’s simplicity, speed, and quality. You can press the sifted kief into hash using a variety of simple tools. Here’s a list of required items.
1. dry buds cut to quarter-sized pieces
2. Bubble bag size 220 micron (often have to buy the 3-sized bags of 220, 140, 70) then I only use the 220.
3. Dry ice. I get pelletized DI (3/4”x 2” cylinders) but you can get sheets of it and break up with hammer. $20/10lbs.
4. Smooth glass surface (mirror or smooth table top.
5. 2 quart plastic bowl or juice jug.
6. Empty cardboard box with bottom open.

My Method: Others May vary.
—setup open box on shaker surface to contain kief.
—put about 1/2 cup dry ice and about 2 cups buds into plastic bowl and mix slowly for about 30 seconds in order to let ice freeze buds and trichomes.
—pour ice and buds in 220 bag and shake up and down over table for about 1-2 minutes. Kief is usually white or yellow tint so you should stop shaking if green tint starts showing up. This is leaf material you don’t want. Practice and observation will help you dial in your shaking time.
—Kief and CO2 will drop from bag onto surface with CO2 evaporating leaving only kief.
—after done shaking pour used bud and dry ice onto a large 1/4” screen to sift out used bud then you can reuse the dry ice.
—scrape kief together for storage. Remember to scrape vertical walls of box because they also have kief dust on them.
—I’ve sifted 8+ oz into kief in less than an hr.

The pics show that for me 120 grams of buds yielded 17 grams of kief that can be smoked immediately unlike ice bubble hash that requires significant drying time before smoking. The web shows many ways of making dry ice kief. I just adapted my method for me. Hope this info helps you and others. HMU with any more questions. Pics show 2020 sift run after cardboard box removed and kief scraped together and weighed.

to collect dry sift while shaking.
Brilliant! This is perfect. Thanks so much for this response, I'm gonna do it with my next lot.

curiousorange

curiousorange

Question….what are you guys doing with the remaining bud after sifting?
I put it all into a big jar just in case i ever run out. But it's alright for me because I get pretty mashed on almost nothing. Seriously, I can't believe most of you guys smoke it pure. If I got that high and there was an emergency I'd probably end up sectioned. One time my kid got sick and I had to take him to hospital at 1am in an ambulance, and let's just say I would have rather stayed in bed.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Throw used frozen bud away. It’ll be powdered and have very little trichomes left. Mulch pile for sure.
Throw it in a pot of coconut oil and extract, there's way more thc left than your suggesting. Just decarboxylate it prior. Depends on the amount, perhaps. If I had a half pound/pound or more, I might do another run for sure.

Waste not want not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom