dry sifting to hashish pressing

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Wow, that looks like a lot of work! You are much more patient then me. I make bubble hash from my sugar leaves every now and then, but it is no where near as involved as what you are doing.
Nice job! 👍

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Wow, that looks like a lot of work! You are much more patient then me. I make bubble hash from my sugar leaves every now and then, but it is no where near as involved as what you are doing.
Nice job! 👍
honestly i find dry sifting easier and less work and definitely less mess and with dry sifting you can stop and start as you please as long as your environment is good and your hash is instant..
once you start bubble washing your kinda stuck until it’s done and you have no idea of how many washes you’ll have to do, than freezing, the micro planing, drying for a week.. etc
i try to dry sift as much as possible in the winter and bubble washing in summer..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
well it didn’t quite work out as planned, haha.
pretty sure i tried pressing/working it while it was still a bit moist..
kinda explained in videos.

smoked that joint.. mmmm nothing special, probably because of heating to dry, should of air dried in cardboard box for a week or so..
got some pink starburst buds lying on the screens for sifting tomorrow., this is better stuff for hash (thin stalks with big heads).

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
That seems so much cleaner than the bubble wash I’ve done in the past.
just wanna say thanks for posting the vids, information is power.🤟
Also, did you say where you got your screens?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
with bubble it’s the motion of the freezing cold water to remove resin, too much ice will beat up the weed and produce more contaminate or also using too dry of weed but not letting it soak long enough before washing, a good 45 mins is ideal for dry material.. my screens are from bubblebag.com..
though some retailers of their screens may sell cheaper than them..
like toronto hemp company.,
buy the big ones!
if you do.. get the table or two as posted above, i’ve noticed they go on sale every 4-5 months..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
also i just bought one replacement screen and one larger/work screen to make it easier..
90DEF719 83A6 4B76 9D86 DF0AE96422BC

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I do like me some princess auto gear. Might have to grab a table, given how spread out your operation is their must be trichomes all over your house😹
Thanks again👊

dextr0

dextr0

First I wanna say I love to see people dry sifting. It really has in a short time become a passion of mine.

If I may add a few suggestions. First I believe dryness to be a big factor that a lot of people do not understand and I myself am just starting to understand little by little. As of late I’ve begun bucking down my plant matter in increments over a few days. This does two thing. Ensures that I do not break heads breaking down plant matter before fully dry. If the plant matter is wet the trichome heads are soft and prone to bursting while we work the material. This means less resin in the end period.
Bubble man posted up a new video yesterday on drysifting (3,4 month old material) using hand method. In it you can see where he forced the material and yes trichomes fell but when he begins to clean it it balls up. He was saying heat. It’s not true. If properly dried the trichome heads harden and will not burst easily. I work in 70f rooms.
This is also the reason for the gumming on the dvd case.

Breaking down your material in increments also let’s you have less contamination and easier cleaning as you can break down a bit and remove the stuff over worked and keep that from breaking down into smaller pieces while you work larger pieces. An example would be I grab whole buds not trimmed and rub them together softly to where I only break off the outer fan leaf (what I consider the first protective layer). I’ll softly rub the material together say two three times then separate that leaf from the buds. The buds are set to dry out a bit more while I work the sugar leaf that has been separated. Since it’s so dry it needs little rubbing to break down good and not need over working.
I continue this over the course of days. Any resistance or gumming tells me to stop and let dry more.

One more tip that maybe you or someone can use is drumming on your screens after you work your material. It helps getting the trichomes through those screens since they do get clogged up more than we know. What I do is grab a spoon and gently tap on my screen to dislodge anything that may be clogged. The whole thing relies on open holes to work.

Besides those I just say great work. Glad to see you having fun. I posted a thread myself not long ago but you know...not much action. Check it out for sure. I posted videos that maybe you’d be. Interested in.

respects.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
First I wanna say I love to see people dry sifting. It really has in a short time become a passion of mine.

If I may add a few suggestions. First I believe dryness to be a big factor that a lot of people do not understand and I myself am just starting to understand little by little. As of late I’ve begun bucking down my plant matter in increments over a few days. This does two thing. Ensures that I do not break heads breaking down plant matter before fully dry. If the plant matter is wet the trichome heads are soft and prone to bursting while we work the material. This means less resin in the end period.
Bubble man posted up a new video yesterday on drysifting (3,4 month old material) using hand method. In it you can see where he forced the material and yes trichomes fell but when he begins to clean it it balls up. He was saying heat. It’s not true. If properly dried the trichome heads harden and will not burst easily. I work in 70f rooms.

Breaking down your material in increments also let’s you have less contamination and easier cleaning as you can break down a bit and remove the stuff over worked and keep that from breaking down into smaller pieces while you work larger pieces. An example would be I grab whole buds not trimmed and rub them together softly to where I only break off the outer fan leaf (what I consider the first protective layer). I’ll softly rub the material together say two three times then separate that leaf from the buds. The buds are set to dry out a bit more while I work the sugar leaf that has been separated. Since it’s so dry it needs little rubbing to break down good and not need over working.
I continue this over the course of days. Any resistance or gumming tells me to stop and let dry more.

One more tip that maybe you or someone can use is drumming on your screens after you work your material. It helps getting the trichomes through those screens since they do get clogged up more than we know. What I do is grab a spoon and gently tap on my screen to dislodge anything that may be clogged. The whole thing relies on open holes to work.

Besides those I just say great work. Glad to see you having fun. I posted a thread myself not long ago but you know...not much action. Check it out for sure. I posted videos that maybe you’d be. Interested in.

respects.
i was wondering were you were!
glad to see you here and hopefully you’ll post some stuff on hash making!!
yep i absolutely agree 100% with everything you said..
i just can’t grow enough weed to make enough hash to last me to actually have weed, say 6 months plus curing.,
in those vids i was in no way trying to show off but to rather try to be like someone new..
hopefully the buds inspire someone than they can come to this thread for help and tips from us that have done it before..
anyhoo glad to see you here.,
where’s @extractoilminussixty think he’s a hash guy too?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i just can’t grow enough weed to make enough hash to last me to actually have weed, say 6 months plus curing.,
in those vids i was in no way trying to show off but to rather try to be like someone new..
hopefully the buds inspire someone than they can come to this thread for help and tips from us that have done it before..

respects.
what’s funny is i seen that bubbleman video with john using the latex glove/hand method earlier today, thought about it, but my resin was barely cured passed 2 months so i thought better not..

dextr0

dextr0

I will definitely post some stuff on how I work no problem. I’m working stuff now but like I said I like it to be dry. Even when I have just sifted stuff that needs cleaning if I go to clean and I notice it’s not attracting or it’s attracting contams also it usually means it’s still too wet so I’ll leave in the screen over night with fans going in room like here in this picture.

I totally understand on the drying for months. I myself have started drying from day one. It’s really dry here so I’m just leaving them be and within say 5 days they are ready to buck off the stems then allowed to dry for another 10 days. If needed a fan goes directly on it. The idea for me is plant material is irrelevant just like in bubble hash. I have not noticed a difference but people love to ague points they have no idea about so...I can only give the experiences I’m having from doing stuff.

I’m not taking anything as showing off or anything your sharing and I love it.

I too share but a lot of people take what I say offensively. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Can’t win them all.

0CBC0E44 737E 4070 9C84 D7058E699AE4

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I will definitely post some stuff on how I work no problem. I’m working stuff now but like I said I like it to be dry. Even when I have just sifted stuff that needs cleaning if I go to clean and I notice it’s not attracting or it’s attracting contams also it usually means it’s still too wet so I’ll leave in the screen over night with fans going in room like here in this picture.

I totally understand on the drying for months. I myself have started drying from day one. It’s really dry here so I’m just leaving them be and within say 5 days they are ready to buck off the stems then allowed to dry for another 10 days. If needed a fan goes directly on it. The idea for me is plant material is irrelevant just like in bubble hash. I have not noticed a difference but people love to ague points they have no idea about so...I can only give the experiences I’m having from doing stuff.

I’m not taking anything as showing off or anything your sharing and I love it.

I too share but a lot of people take what I say offensively. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Can’t win them all.

View attachment 1225924
it’s all acceptable here brother, no arguing from me!

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Looking forward to more techniques and videos! I picked up one of those princess auto tables as it went on sale today, thank you! I haven't had a chance to use my screens yet but I did make some dry ice hash about a week ago. I think it turned out well but who knows hahaha, I did learn not to do dry ice hash when its raining hahaha. I hope the kief is dried enough and didn't absorb too much moisture. It was easier than I thought but I think I definitely lost yield due to improper humidity levels and only using a 125 micron bag. The kief is sticky and balls up on its own but I haven't touched it since making it, the finger hash I got from breaking the buds was melty though so that's a good sign!

Top Bottom