Dry Trim Or Wet Trim ?????

• Thread starter Weedseed420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

how do u trim wet or dry

• Total voters
xavier7995

xavier7995

I always worried when hanging whole plants with all the leaves still on that it creates an environment really conducive to mold and mildew. I just am not confident in my drying areas having adequate ventilation/airflow without it being so much that it significantly speeds up drying.

DAMN YOU COLORADO AND YOUR ARID CONDITIONS!!!!!

Dunge

Dunge

I hang entire plants in my veg space.
The lights are on 24/7 but they are mostly used up by the plants and the hanging plants are only lit by reflected light.
The temp and humidity seem perfect for drying in about ten days.
In this time I take off fan leaves as I can get around to it.

stonestacker

stonestacker

I've done both, I prefer dry. I don't end up with as much finger hash dry.
I can chop the whole room and start cleaning and reloading. Let the branches dry trim at my convenience. If I think things are getting to dry. I either hang them in trash bags or buck into totes. works great for me and I get up and running again faster. Bag appeal, smell, and taste are much better than wet trim.

RG420

RG420

I've done both, I prefer dry. I don't end up with as much finger hash dry.
I can chop the whole room and start cleaning and reloading. Let the branches dry trim at my convenience. If I think things are getting to dry. I either hang them in trash bags or buck into totes. works great for me and I get up and running again faster. Bag appeal, smell, and taste are much better than wet trim.

I'm going to try this method just need to find somewhere to hang the whole plants?! Defo looks like dry trim is way to go!! :)

Myco

Myco

Dry trim ftw. For a multitude of reasons.

One really good reason is time management as another poster mentioned. Dry trimming you're not pressed to get it all done in one shot.

With dry trimming you're shaping the flowers to their "final form". Not that wet trimming can't give you a pretty looking flower; but when I blast through wet trimming, I'll always notice missed leaf here and there and I'll end up manicuring some flowers a second time - fuck that. I know most people don't give a shit about a bit of leaf here and there, but I tend to.

Seems as though with dry trimming you're skipping or greatly reducing that period of grassy/chlorophyll smell. As if cutting into fresh leaf releases an extra, unattractive aroma. It goes away of course, but I feel ultimately the end product as more aroma and flavor when dry trimming. Maybe it's just me, idk.

Leaving leaf on during drying slows the drying process, ultimately leading to a better, and more consistent texture and quality.

To anybody out there that's cutting plants down into individual branches and wet trimming... while it can give you decent results, it won't give you the best results.

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

I first cut the bigger fan leaves then I cut separate branches, put them on the drying rack and do the rest when dried, just before putting them into the curing jars.

L

Larrytreez

Sorry for digging up bones, but im just trying to see what everyone has been doing. I really dont have room to dry the five plants, not to mention time it takes to dry trim. I was going to get bowl trimmer, trim wet and dry on racks. What has others done? Last year i didnt have much and i dry trimmed and mostly smelled like grass, but im learning.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ahaha. Im not sure i have the room to dry trim.
remove fan leaves with an exposed stem to snip off.. leave the other leaves, and be careful doing it, calmly..
hay?
well you need to be able to control the temp and humidity 24/7..
the whole time drying is done in the dark!..
generally temp 60/65 humidity 60/65
should take 10 or so days before ready for dry trimming and jarring..
have a fan on low not pointing anywhere near the buds (airflow in room)

memnoch

memnoch

After trying both. I like dry trimming better. I didn't get that hay or grass smell and taste like I did with wet. Wet trimming is easier though.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I usually harvest one plant at a time, so I use a tent with drying racks. A tent makes it easy to control the drying environment. It's dark inside and I use controllers for temperature and humidity. I cut off the stems at the bottom of the buds and dry them on the racks. When they're ready, I cut the buds off the stems. The tent's humidity sensor gives a good indication of when the buds are ready.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
yeah rqs has some really good blogs article on many topics.
I found when the plants are dried just right instead of cutting the sugar leaves I’m able to cinch them with the trimming blades and twist the scissors and it actually pulls more of the sugar leaf out of the bud than just directly trimming them flush with the bud surface. I also don’t remove all the buds at once fromt the plant

I found I prefer to hang the whole plant, and as the interior of the plant takes a bit longer to dry when whole, I spin the plant while hanging and remove the outer branches first, and trim, usually by the time my hand is cramping I’m hitting buds that a shade more moist than the outside buds (usually about a day) I take a break for a day come back and finish the trim on the interior buds, kinda helps break up the process as well lol

This is my go to for checking moisture content, when I stick the prongs into the center of a bud when it reads between 12-14% is when I begin the trim, my cure jars rarely spike over 62% and usually settle at 58-60% after the initial 2-3 weeks

Basically took the guessing out of the equation.

IMG 9197
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Also just to throw it out there, these were recommended to me by someone very trustworthy here on the farm and it’s one purchase I absolutely do not regret, will never buy fiskars or any other brand again after trimming with these, the feel on the hand itself after long use is worth the buy

Chikamasa TP-500SR Ultra-Light Japanese Trimming Scissors Stainless Steel Curved Blades https://a.co/d/iRKftrz
i just stick to some of the cheapest one that fit inside the hand with a ring for a finger.

as you can see slightly covered in hash, it's been 6 years or so they serve me well.

P1030683

Top Bottom