drying and curing for dummies?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I am in the process of making up one of these. I'll make them out of scrap wood and old window screening. They are a real space-saver too as I have very little room in my tipi. :) I guess you could buy them but would te they are way overpriced. I've seen some similar round ones that hang in sections as well. $$$$$.
000 0279

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

Its all about the slow dry.

I dont agree with letting them dry tell the stem snaps. That may work for small stems.
A big stem will be completly dry (and snap) long after the buds on it have dried to a crisp..
By the time the stem will snap your bud will be almost bone dry?

I hang mine in the shed for a few days. 3-5 depending on temps.
Before any part gets dry feeling; I cut the colas into buds an loosly pack em into jars WITH THE LID PARTIALY open or you risk mold ! Open a mix daily to evenly dry.
After a 4-5 days of that then you can close the jars ans start the final dry an cure.

There are Humidity packs availabe that will keep your humidty at a constant for a 1 step dry cure. I hear it does a perfect job.
Ebay sells the packs, 62% is the one to get.
I want to try them.....

K

kolah

Once in mason jars I put a small piece of paper (approx 2" x 3") in there to absorb any moisture.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I am in the process of making up one of these. I'll make them out of scrap wood and old window screening. They are a real space-saver too as I have very little room in my tipi. :) I guess you could buy them but would te they are way overpriced. I've seen some similar round ones that hang in sections as well. $$$$$.
View attachment 257988
Thats a great idea Kolah. I used a Big window screen(3ftX5ft) on buckets a few times ;)

Now I use those round thingys..bout 35 bucks at the hydro store
My Trim area
Trim room

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Ken, does that window face anybody, or just of into the distance? I personally would have at least a curtain in front of it, who knows who will peek in and see a ceiling full of buds.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ken, does that window face anybody, or just of into the distance? I personally would have at least a curtain in front of it, who knows who will peek in and see a ceiling full of buds.
LOL...Thanks for your concern...but we live up in the hills and there is a 11ft tall monster plant right outside that window :) (trash trailer plant)
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...by-the-trash-trailer.48043/page-3#post-926736

and a couple Dogs..

No bodys gonna be looking in that window..I trim half the night out there too. :)

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

mikeb437

mikeb437

Lemme ask.. The branches i have been cutting off are small and only 1 branch at a time. If i cut down the entire plant and place in a box to hang it should take longer with the fact that there is more plant material ( moisture) right? Maybe thats why the branches ive been cutting off dry so quickly..?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Lemme ask.. The branches i have been cutting off are small and only 1 branch at a time. If i cut down the entire plant and place in a box to hang it should take longer with the fact that there is more plant material ( moisture) right? Maybe thats why the branches ive been cutting off dry so quickly..?
Yep

mikeb437

mikeb437

finally went to the storage place and bought a nice box! added string to the top and there ya go! dont know if i should add more vent holes or just use the handle holes for ventilation. checked the plant today and im seeing all cloudy with a few amber trichs here n there so its gotta be close

Drybox
Drybox1

mikeb437

mikeb437

Pick1
Pick2
Pick3
Pick4
Pick5
Pick6
harvest day!!! chopped the plant down today. brought home and pulled off all the fan leaves. then i trimmed around the buds a bit to get some of that sweet leaf! there is alot of weed here!!!! i then stuck the branches into the drying box i made. i had too much weed and i filled the big box i bought so i put a few branches into the small box i made last week. the garage reeks of skunk!! THERE ARE SMALL HOLES ON THE SIDE OF THE BOX,, DO I NEED TO MAKE BIGGER OR DO I NEED TO CLOSE THE TOP OF THE BOX? PLEASE GIVE ADVICE AND COMMENTS!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Nice work Mike...yeah a few more holes might be good...
what's the temp and humility in the garage?

mikeb437

mikeb437

Temps outside are mid 60's during the day and upper 40's at night. Its fairly dry outside as well but theres some rain coming this weekend. The temp inside the garage right now is 66 degrees with 35% humidity. I bought a caliber3 digital humidity gauge online so ill stick that in the garage for more accurate results. Ever see one of those ken? THey say its nice to use during the curing stage so i bought one,,,

Top Bottom