Drying - Cardboard Box, eventually Plywood

• Thread starter Gashuffer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Ok folks. I posted this same question in my grow diary, but I’m looking for broader feedback after thinking it a bit.

before I go into it, I do want to ask up front if others have had success with easier methods for drying. one key for me is the smell containment inside my home.

Onto my idea!

I have a grow going where the flowering stages of the plants are offset. I only have one tent and was thinking of just drying the first plants buds above the light in an open paper bag. But.......

i’m questioning if drying my buds in my tent is truly the right idea. Especially since I have 2+ weeks to go in my second plant. Everything I’ve read says temps need to be in the 60s, not in the 70s like my tent. also the humidity should be 50ish, not 35-40 in my tent. Also, air flow in my tent will still be pretty fast, which is a third negative to drying too quickly.

So for the hell of it i found a few cardboard boxes and taped them together. It’s about 26”x28”x36”.

What are your thoughts on the below approach? I was thinking of buying a humidity controller to turn the fan on/off for 45-55 RH, and leave it at that.

I’ve had a sensor there for the past few days and this area in my basement has a stable temp of 61F and 45RH. So I figure as long as I can capture the smell, keep the temp stable and control the humidity, I should be golden.

Describing the box in words, it’s got an exhaust fan hooked up to a humidity controller and a carbon filter at the top of the box. There’s an inlet at the bottom of the box. There’s a single rod running width wise with hangers to hang buds. Finally, there’s a hatch cut into the face of the box for access. Nothing crazy.

see pic below for a visual. If this works well enough, I’ll fill the space a bit better with a custom sized plywood box.

9EA156C2-928B-4E3E-9C67-5DF0C0CABBDD.jpeg

Shotyoung

Shotyoung

I think I would want more control on the intake so that no air is directly hitting the buds. sounds concept though, let us know how it works out for you.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

I think I would want more control on the intake so that no air is directly hitting the buds. sounds concept though, let us know how it works out for you.

fair enough. I could put a baffle along the bottom. Forcing the intake air around the inside perimeter of the box. Almost like a false floor with a gap around the edge.

the fan would only be running when dropping the humidity from 55 to 45. So ideally not very frequently.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Being a cool humid basement perhaps some kind of filter over a passive intake would be sufficient to break up the airflow a bit while also making sure the buds arent collecting anything odd 💁

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Being a cool humid basement perhaps some kind of filter over a passive intake would be sufficient to break up the airflow a bit while also making sure the buds arent collecting anything odd 💁

good point. I could create a bump out in the bottom to get more surface area and cover it with a sock or old tshirt. Might help the velocity stay low thru the inlet.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Ok folks, I have my prototype that I’ll be using to dry this first set of buds. I’ll have months to build my plywood box before my next grow is thru flower.

Here’s my diy filter housing. Just a plastic container from my recycling. It turns out my socks aren’t big enough to fit over it so I’ll end up using a cotton shirt that you’ll see below.

2BA2E620 A6D0 442D B33B B82FDBEADA5B

Now onto the box.

Here is where it’s mounted. Sort of suspended up in a doorway to a small sump pump closet.

7075100E FA88 46D8 BE13 5032D5FAFD2C

Here you can see the width and depth and my tshirt covered filter housing.

8F1D7D8B 4CE2 4BFC 90A4 02A01481EAF0

I’ve got my basement dehumidifier here set at 45RH, so it should help keep my inlet air pretty stable.

EEC15A4D 0592 4288 A869 BB46DA8D2CCC

Interior shots:

Carbon filter and hangers.

BEE6FFE8 5CB2 4366 A04F 648EE7E326BE

Inside shot of filter housing. It’s hard to feel how light the airflow is since you have to have the hatch open to feel and that breaks the flow.

I do expect the exhaust fan to only run part of the time. But we shall see how it goes. I just really hope the smell gets captured.

Camera pointed at a hygrometer for remote checking.

3453FCB8 C2FE 4D61 83C0 0A1B17EC51F9

CF58E931 4726 4111 B662 2725016FE0D2
Top Bottom