drying/curing methods with large quantities

• Thread starter Noworries
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Noworries

I am just curious, I normally cut all the buds off the branches, trim all the buds, put them in drying racks for 2-3 days, then brown bag them for 4-5 days then into jars, I've seen a few remarks about 5 gallon buckets and plastic containers for curing large quantities.

My question is could I skip the brown bag after 2-3 days in the racks, and go with a Rubbermaid container with holes in the lid instead? Mix them around daily etc

If not how do you guys go about drying after they've been in the racks for a few days?

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Rubbermaids, but I don't do holes in the lid. I fill them up halfwayish and then just open them up and toss them about a little bit once a day. Works great :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am just curious, I normally cut all the buds off the branches, trim all the buds, put them in drying racks for 2-3 days, then brown bag them for 4-5 days then into jars, I've seen a few remarks about 5 gallon buckets and plastic containers for curing large quantities.

My question is could I skip the brown bag after 2-3 days in the racks, and go with a Rubbermaid container with holes in the lid instead? Mix them around daily etc

If not how do you guys go about drying after they've been in the racks for a few days?
Hmm... well, you do things backward from how I do it. I take the entire plant, hang it upside down for a week to 10 days to dry. If I don't have time to trim it, it gets cured in that position and condition. Curing occurs in plastic bins if it hasn't occurred where the plant has been drying, and I do like Bluenote above and fill partially, then turn to help ensure no flat buds and no mold or other issues. Works like a charm. But otherwise, I really prefer to let the plant cure where it was hung, then broken down, trimmed, and vacuum-sealed at the perfect RH and cure stage.

If I have to, the whole plant gets broken down, but NOT de-boned, buds stay on the bone and with all fan leaves intact and in situ, and put into plastic bins which are marked with the strain and year. Curing for me needs a minimum of one month, really more like two months because I haven't smoked much that I like as much at 1mo as I do at 2mos. (I hope that made sense, longer cure is better in my world.)

What's just as important for me, because of how I do things (waiting for my favorite little troll to show up with one of my photos of trees hanging in my basement, dude's really hung up on the fiberglass insulation) is relative humidity and temperature during this time. RH must be in the 60%-65% range, whereas my drying must be at a lower RH. Temperature is generally in the 50s, sometimes lower.

No, I do not get fiberglass in my weed, no matter how much my little troll hollers about it. Yes, I do in fact own and use a microscope. I grow outdoors, I have a lot of things to look out for.

The reason for using the paper bags is to help stabilize conditions instead of allowing for rapid changes in relative humidity. Because my basement is essentially a giant humidor, I found that the bags are not necessary any more.

And glass jars? Breakable, and I've ruined more weed by trying to use that bullshit than anything else. The only thing that's ruined more weed for me was root aphids.

Blaze

Blaze

Brown bags draw the moisture out evenly and slowly meaning you don't have to mix them around. Rule #1 to growing quality: don't touch the buds. The brown bags can then be placed in Rubbermaids, if you like, to store. Two layers of at least 4 mil contractor bags tied nice and tight works too. In general it's not a good idea to have the buds come into direct contact with plastic if you can help it, it tends to affect the cure. Turkey bags in another container, like a rubbermaid, etc also works.

Ganjafarmer562

Ganjafarmer562

I agree with SeaMaiden on hanging them first. I have seem some videos of people who trim them right before they chop. Ive tried this with a few outdoor plants on my porch that I didnt care about it wasnt the worst thing in the world but I wouldn't do it. I am unable to cure for two months (on purpose) like seamaiden though, but I do agree that a nice long cure really helps. I hang everything in a controlled environment and have to start trimming after 5 days only because it takes a team two weeks to finish. I do use jars though, I just like them. They are cheap, like 12-15 bucks for a dozen. Just wash them out and burp them daily in the beginning.

IMG 2295
IMG 2294
IMG 2301
Chuck51

Chuck51

Lookin good thats a lot of trimming. I hang my plants for 4 days and remove all fan leafs then cut branches and hang them for 5 days then trim them into buds and put them in 5 gal buckets and right into curing for a month The smell is great and the taste is great. And i put in 1 lg humidity pack in each bucket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom