drying males in a room next to females(please read)

• Thread starter wtjames
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wtjames

my dad was helping with my grow,however he decided to keep the males,and dry them with pollen sacks hanging...and the reason was he thought smoking males would be great...in a room that i use to pull fresh air out of for females,now im pulling hermies out on a daily basis..can i get anybodys opinion on how dumb it was to do that...or am i just crazy...this is my first grow and i have almost lost it all..if you are reading this please leave a reply with your thoughts...thanks

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

It sucks to cull a beautiful male plant, but it's the safest option to prevent seeds in your meds. The male plants will not cause females to hermaphrodite though. They will just cause them to produce seed. Likely your hermie plants were destined to herm anyhow. Bagseed grow? Seeds produced from herms are more likely to herm themselves. Good Luck. I'd probably finish this grow, removing as many of the male flowers as possible on the herm plants. Seeded bud is still bud- and can get ya thru in dry times. But you've also learned something to apply to future grows. Peace

L

Lost

Huge mistake. Like gigantic. My thoughts are thus..

Imagine the Titanic slowly slipping under cold water.. Thats your grow :(

We all make mistakes. Next time, kill the males. You cannot smoke them (you can but you might as well smoke a bannana peel...) 99% of pot farmers get rid the males like they are woman that won't suck dick...

W

wtjames

I spent alot of money on the genetics..so yeah it truly sucks..and your sure that male pollen sacks won't turn my females into hermies? I thought if a female was pollinated that is just what happens,but I'm def inexperienced..but i do know trying to smoke male leaves is just dumb..i will be doing my next grow all alone..so i can control my environment ..please keep the comments coming..thanks

L

Lost

If a male is near a female, it will pollenate the female, giving you seeds fucking up your run. Hermie is something totally different. A hermie is when a female for numerous reasons, usually environmental or genetic, produces male sacs in order to self fertilize.

What you have are fertilized females. You can grow them out but it will be seeded and the weed will be of poor quality (when a female is fertilized, it puts the energy into producing seeds, not tricomes..)

Just to add, get the males out of there. Asap!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've done a little bit of chucking, just a little, and besides a loss of yield, I have never once noticed a loss of potency in the seeded buds. No loss of trichomes or anything like that.

I'm wondering why the OP is now calling the girls hermies, I want to see a photo of what he's looking at. Or three. Three photos would be nice.

L

Lost

Seamaiden - I have done a little breeding and if the plant is totally seeded, the weed is crap. I have had some seeded Cush that was good, but generally in my experience, its trash if its seeded. Well, I'm not smoking it at that point!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm terrible, I'll smoke it. Not the seeds, of course, I want those! I still want to see pix, too.

H

HappyGrower

my dad was helping with my grow,however he decided to keep the males,and dry them with pollen sacks

Like everyone else is saying, I would KILL OFF All Males. The only way i would let a Male run its course, then dry it for the pollen would be at Friends House. No where even close to the Females......Well you just got your 1st growing lesson when dealing with males.

Whats the strain that you are having the problem with?

Chat soon, Happy Grower :hunter:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't had to be anywhere nearly that diligent, and a friend who breeds (some great X's, too) does the same as I do--males are on one side of the house, females on the other. This year I let a male be on the same side of the house, got a very few seeds. I wanted to do the full pollination on one of the girls but family stuff started happening and then he dried up & died before I could even collect flowers. :(

I've never fully seeded a girl, btw. Figure that might play into it, might be worth mentioning.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
pollen would not cause your plants to hermy bro

W

wtjames

Thanks for all the replys..the seeds were from cannacopia..cheap seeds..bubbas kushxdeep chunk...i thought it was a good deal for my first grow,i figured if i killed them all from no experience then i wouldn't have lost much except time,i do have anoter table of sannies madonna f1 that seems to be doing great

B

bdakind

Have you had any heat issues. New growers usually underestimate the heat load and temp on the canopy. I've seen a couple hot days turn some plants hermie.

W

wtjames

I keep the 100 sf room cooled with a 12,000 btu air conditioner..keep it at 70-72 degrees and a dehumidifier at 55% i have 2 4x4 tables with hortilux 1000w hps bulbs that are 6" air cooled and the reflectors or 12" or so from the plant tops

D

doBpop

Hi all.

This is the dad and I would have replied LONG before now but I only just now saw this. I hope this thread didn't bias any of you into not posting on the other thread. (i think this may be a zinc def? any ideas)

First off we DID kill all the males.
We only wanted females.

We pulled out 39 (thirty nine) male plants that we could sex and left about 5-6 that were showing no sex at all. I kept three 3 (three) of the most immature males there were and hung them to dry out. (ALL of the other males that we trashed had MUCH bigger balls than these)

NONE of the three were even close to maturity.

Since they stop growth when they are cut from the root, they are still the exact same condition (tiny, immature and unopened) as they were when I hung them up as you can clearly see in the images I just made. The screws are 1 1/4 inch long for size comparison.

I then later pulled out a herm early AM on the 22nd, one on the 24th, one on the 25th all in early AM and FOUR on the 26th after 7pm ONE of which had busted balls on it.

Most of these were already thought to be females with LOTS of calyx with hairs and then they grew balls. ( 7 herms)

Didn't think to take any pics of them but will if find any more.

None since. (thank God)

So far that is a total of 46 (forty six) males and herms pulled out of 96 original.

More room info:
6.5' x 11.5' x 8'
75 sq feet
600 cubic feet
hi/lo shows 78/60% and 69/40% (temp/RH) since last reset on the 22nd
22nd day into 12/12
Dehumidifier was only installed on 16th - (5 days ago) up til then was like 60%-85% RH.

All I can think of ATM.

Thanks to all for postiing/helping.
.​

DSC01155
DSC01156
DSC01158
DSC01160
DSC01161
DSC01163
DSC01164
DSC01165
DSC01166
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Spritz with water to kill whatever pollen there is, that's your best bet to prevent seeding of the stock now.

D

doBpop

I sprayed them originally the one time after getting out the male herm with busted balls. Haven't sprayed again.

Should we be? (kinda worried about mold)​

D

doBpop

Here's one I just pulled out.

I'm having trouble making closeups even through magnifying glass. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .....

Isn't that busted balls?

This was a healthy female. (until now)

Was right in front and missed it again. crap.

35" tall.

bubba kush x deep chunk

WHY are we getting do many herms?
Is this 'normal'? This makes EIGHT so far in six days.

Thanks again everyone.

DSC01168
DSC01184
DSC01181
DSC01180
DSC01183
DSC01185
DSC01186
DSC01189
E

ent

I think it's genetics. Your unculled males would not cause your females to herm. Unless it is stress.

6.5' x 11.5' x 8'
75 sq feet
600 cubic feet
hi/lo shows 78/60% and 69/40% (temp/RH) since last reset on the 22nd
22nd day into 12/12
Dehumidifier was only installed on 16th - (5 days ago) up til then was like 60%-85% RH.

Based on that ^^ and your photos, it doesn't look like any obvious stress. If you have plants that have shown female and are throwing just a couple sacs at the nodes, i would pluck the sacs but keep a very keen eye on that plant for the next couple days/weeks. Any signs of nanners or sacs continuing then I would cull it.

To answer your other question, this is not normal.

D

doBpop

I think it's genetics. Your unculled males would not cause your females to herm. Unless it is stress.
We've culled all the males - there are none "unculled".
Based on that ^^ and your photos, it doesn't look like any obvious stress. If you have plants that have shown female and are throwing just a couple sacs at the nodes, i would pluck the sacs but keep a very keen eye on that plant for the next couple days/weeks. Any signs of nanners or sacs continuing then I would cull it.
This is the second one found with busted balls in two days. Arrggghhhhh .....

This may be a crazy question but there is no other way to interprete what I found (in the pics) other than busted balls right? (opened male pollen sacs)
How am I missing them for so long that they bust?

To answer your other question, this is not normal.
I was afraid of that.

Thanks to you and everyone for the help!​

Top Bottom