Drying on the Plant... Anyone Try This?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
As I get older and lazier, I find that when I harvest buds, it gets to be a pain in the ass trying to get a lot of them and I often just leave them on the plant, which usually dies off from lack of watering. I had one that I overlooked and while it died, the buds were actually pretty good with all of the chlorophyll gone, a gold-ish color, and a strong hash taste while keeping some of the original tastes as well. It was surprisingly smooth as well and did the trick. Just pluck them from the branch and crumble into a bowl... like eating an apple off of the tree.
Anyone else do this?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

As I get older and lazier, I find that when I harvest buds, it gets to be a pain in the ass trying to get a lot of them and I often just leave them on the plant, which usually dies off from lack of watering. I had one that I overlooked and while it died, the buds were actually pretty good with all of the chlorophyll gone, a gold-ish color, and a strong hash taste while keeping some of the original tastes as well. It was surprisingly smooth as well and did the trick. Just pluck them from the branch and crumble into a bowl... like eating an apple off of the tree.
Anyone else do this?

The Jungle Boys show this in their promo video. They are pretty hyped up in the industry so i thought i would mention they do this to their commercial size crops.

I have never tried. I have always needed the space for the next plant in line.

Dr.B

Dr.B

I've always hung whole plants. I only cut individuals when they are touching their neighbors. Never quite done it that way though. Now I'm curious...

quirk

quirk

Anyone else do this?

Every grow I trim and dry in the pot. Auto grower.

IMG 20200520 175328059
IMG 20200528 113622991
IMG 20200529 202309530
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Anyone else do this?
matter of fact this last grow,when i got to 2 weeks before harvest i dropped my ppm value all the way back down to seedling stage,last 4 days i feed with 250 ml of calmag only,so i harvest and and just hung them in the tent with exhaust and fan for 9 days,took a bud and smoke it surprisinly it was smooth as shit and dry enough to almost crumble,had that just right to break up and roll a joint ,so dry and cure all in one shot,been smoking just fine

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
matter of fact this last grow,when i got to 2 weeks before harvest i dropped my ppm value all the way back down to seedling stage,last 4 days i feed with 250 ml of calmag only,so i harvest and and just hung them in the tent with exhaust and fan for 9 days,took a bud and smoke it surprisinly it was smooth as shit and dry enough to almost crumble,had that just right to break up and roll a joint ,so dry and cure all in one shot,been smoking just fine
I'm not sure if the continued light from the HID contributed to the color or smoothness or not, although I have left buds on plants and came back a year or two later with the pants being in the total darkness and about 65F... the buds were almost blond in color, crystal covered, and still very pungent when crumbled. While it wasn't my preferred buds, it did the job until things got regular again.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm not sure if the continued light from the HID contributed to the color or smoothness or not, although I have left buds on plants and came back a year or two later with the pants being in the total darkness and about 65F... the buds were almost blond in color, crystal covered, and still very pungent when crumbled. While it wasn't my preferred buds, it did the job until things got regular again.
now see that what im talking about ,the folks these days werent around when it was a real chore to find smoke,they talk about thrashing roaches ,shit man them emergency smoke or in my case the hard core real pain day medicne,i been there bro and know exactlly what you saying hahaha,hell ive smoked damn seeds i wish i had these days,be a gold mine haahah

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I did exactly this a few months ago. I had what I thought was a failed crop. It was just two plants but I needed the room so I relocated them to a tent I’m no longer using. I was lazy and didn’t chop them and dispose of them like I normally do. Anyhow I let them sit in there with no light or water for about a month. I went in and was going to clean the space out and seen they were dry. I was curious so I brought one out into the light where I could inspect it better. Lo and behold they looked fantastic. I snipped off a nug and pulled the leaves off, stuck it in a bong and took a few rips. I was shocked. The quality of it was fantastic.

I have been meaning to repeat this process but I’m currently growing scrog and so the plants can’t support their own weight when removed from the wire grid I have setup in my rack. If I ever go back to growing how I was I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Mind you it does take a while for the plant to die and dry itself but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t better than anything else I’ve dried and cured. And that was with plants I thought were garbage.

shaganja

shaganja

Anyone else do this?
I give plants to my father in law for the summer. His greenhouse is in the drain field. Always gets huge plants. He got tired of trimming last year, and left a plant he didnt care for in his shed. Its brown, gold now. I took a bud from him, to check it out, and it was soooooo greasy, sticky! And it wasnt trimmed at all, so it was perfect inside! Shiny as hell!

shaganja

shaganja

I give plants to my father in law for the summer. His greenhouse is in the drain field. Always gets huge plants. He got tired of trimming last year, and left a plant he didnt care for in his shed. Its brown, gold now. I took a bud from him, to check it out, and it was soooooo greasy, sticky! And it wasnt trimmed at all, so it was perfect inside! Shiny as hell!
Oh, yeah, it tasted great!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hang em high, 65-68f at 55% humidity View attachment 998050

I have to say the best tasting weed i have smoked was an old man with an old NYPD cut growing massive trees outside in michigan style enclosure and hung them upside down in the barn like yours but with all leaves on for months until dry.

Sadly the old man is doing it “to get the thc to flow down from the roots and branches to the buds”

Its obviously the long slow drying.

But leaving a rooted plant to die sounds like a good invitation for pests and mold.

Reactions: Ina
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I have to say the best tasting weed i have smoked was an old man with an old NYPD cut growing massive trees outside in michigan style enclosure and hung them upside down in the barn like yours but with all leaves on for months until dry.

Sadly the old man is doing it “to get the thc to flow down from the roots and branches to the buds”

Its obviously the long slow drying.

But leaving a rooted plant to die sounds like a good invitation for pests and mold.
Takes 12-18 days to properly start the curing process. Once these are to the point of heavy branch snapping buds are removed and placed in shallow 10x20 plastic containers left on the floor with the lids cracked appropriately 2 inches.
They’ll sit for another 4-5 days flipping buds once a day. Then turkey bagged and hand dry trimmed.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I’d like to share this interesting article. Found it as I continue to research drying and curing. I’d like to highlight the part about the commercial growers. Baffling. I do, however, Believe there are commercial growers who really care about the quality of smoke they produce.
Burnz

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’d like to share this interesting article. Found it as I continue to research drying and curing. I’d like to highlight the part about the commercial growers. Baffling. I do, however, Believe there are commercial growers who really care about the quality of smoke they produce.
Burnz

Im sure they all care right up until their money is at risk.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Im sure they all care right up until their money is at risk.
Agreed. I had the opportunity to tour a immaculate facility, experience of a lifetime. Back in 2006 though. Product hasn’t changed much since I first smoked it back then. Still smoke their product to this day. Just thought it was an interesting read.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When the plants were abandoned, they were already dying and partially dried. The Rh in the room was 30% or less and cool. I didn't have the ventilation running but there wasn't a massive amount of stuff on the plants to worry too much. When they dry standing upright, the buds don't fold over themselves and get a lot better ventilation. I agree that it could be risky, but after a grow, if I don't restart right away, I always leave the remains jusr sitting there and never had any problems with bugs or mold/mildew... other than a spider or two. The finished buds look like light colored tobacco, but are very fragile and crumble very easily. Great for plucking and bonging, lousy for trying to pick and preserve it because it is so fragile that it disintegrates too easily.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

When the plants were abandoned, they were already dying and partially dried. The Rh in the room was 30% or less and cool. I didn't have the ventilation running but there wasn't a massive amount of stuff on the plants to worry too much. When they dry standing upright, the buds don't fold over themselves and get a lot better ventilation. I agree that it could be risky, but after a grow, if I don't restart right away, I always leave the remains jusr sitting there and never had any problems with bugs or mold/mildew... other than a spider or two. The finished buds look like light colored tobacco, but are very fragile and crumble very easily. Great for plucking and bonging, lousy for trying to pick and preserve it because it is so fragile that it disintegrates too easily.

Pretty low humidity. I wonder the quality if it was 55-60%? But then mold would be more likely with no ventilation.

Worth putting a humidifier and fan in there when you do this?

shaganja

shaganja

Maybe in the future of sales, organic cannabis will be on the branch like the organic tomatoes in the supermarket.

Top Bottom