Drying One Plant Odour Control

• Thread starter BrandyBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Whitesnake

Whitesnake

if your home all day burn a small fire in a pit when trimming or the first couple days you hang them ...

use oak and it will last. after its going good after a few hours put a few pieces on the fire that a soaked in water so they burn slowly.... if its on stone or rock that heat will keep the fire smoking for hours until u stoke it with some fresh wood.

or take a few days off / weekend.

great idea. one plant won't smell enough for your neighbors to smell it unless it's danker than the most epic chronic i've ever seen. the room you dry it in will probably smell like you smoked a bowl in it recently but that's about it

B

BrandyBud

Thanks everyone. It's getting chopped on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes :D

B

BrandyBud

So I'm going to chop her tonight or tomorrow. I know it's a bit early because of my holiday but would be interested to know your opinions on just how early, from these photos if possible. I don't think it's too bad, maybe just a few days.

Screenshot 20170814 080912
Screenshot 20170814 080946
GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

So I'm going to chop her tonight or tomorrow. I know it's a bit early because of my holiday but would be interested to know your opinions on just how early, from these photos if possible. I don't think it's too bad, maybe just a few days.

No man I would say u have over a week left in that plant do not chop if u don't have to

B

BrandyBud

No man I would say u have over a week left in that plant do not chop if u don't have to

Unfortunately I have to, as going away on Sunday on holiday. I know it's early but it's not the end of the world. Going to wait one more day but then need to get it dried :)

New2dagame

New2dagame

Hi, first post so please go easy on me :D

I am a week away from harvesting a small (less than 60cm) autoflower sour diesel that was grown speculatively in a pot in my garden, not expecting much, but has lots of nice small buds developing all over it.

I am planning to hang it to dry in my attic and have bought some ona gel to mask the smell. I am aware of the problems of the gel leaching onto the buds and wondered what is the best thing to do?

For such a small amount of weed, should some gel on the landing beneath the loft hatch (whose lid is quite a tight fit) be enough to stop any smell seeping out, or would a small cup of gel in the attic but at the other end from where my plant will be hanging be ok, to neutralise the smell in the attic without leaching onto the buds, as it will only be for a few days? I considered buying a tent to hang the buds in to create a barrier between the drying plant and the air with gel in it but imagine that without a fan it may be at risk of mold.

This may well be a one off grow so don't really want to start buying tents or fans unless I really have to, but I've got this far with my plant and want to harvest and dry it without being detected by my neighbours - who are shitty about smelling smoke let alone a grow. Also, would any smell leak into their attic? I don't think there are any holes but not sure just how invasive the smell will be.

Many thanks in advance! :)
Just dried two Blue Cheese plants in my basement . Smell stayed to that room . I think you will be fine with smell . Unless you plan on having a family dinner in the attic . Lol Put a fan below buds for airflow.
Make sure buds are not getting directly hit from fan air . After a day or two check odor, should b good . Happy Dry !!

B

BrandyBud

Just dried two Blue Cheese plants in my basement . Smell stayed to that room . I think you will be fine with smell . Unless you plan on having a family dinner in the attic . Lol Put a fan below buds for airflow.
Make sure buds are not getting directly hit from fan air . After a day or two check odor, should b good . Happy Dry !!

Thanks that's good to know!

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Unfortunately I have to, as going away on Sunday on holiday. I know it's early but it's not the end of the world. Going to wait one more day but then need to get it dried :)

U cant cut it down when u come back ??

B

BrandyBud

U cant cut it down when u come back ??

I'm away for two weeks so it would be past its sell by date I'm afraid. Plus it's outside and would have no water or care.Noob mistake of planning for ten weeks and it lasting twelve, clashing with my holiday. First time effort, I'll still be happy with it, and if the high is more cerebral/ uplifting by harvesting early then that's up my street :)

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

I'm away for two weeks so it would be past its sell by date I'm afraid. Plus it's outside and would have no water or care.Noob mistake of planning for ten weeks and it lasting twelve, clashing with my holiday.

Damn well then I guess u gotta do what u gotta do

B

BrandyBud

Hi! So I left her as long as possible, until last night, giving me three and a half days to dry her. I am very surprised, she didn't smell at all while trimming her and virtually nothing now she's hanging in the attic.

Please don't admonish me for a poor trim. I've left some sugar leaves on for now as I'll be vaping so not worried about harshness, and can dry trim if needed. I've just been up to check on her and everything is glistening :)

I shall let you know how things progress. Planning to sample her on Saturday before putting in a jar with a humidipak while I'm away on holiday. Thanks for everyone's advice so far, it's been invaluable :D

Screenshot 20170817 204708
Screenshot 20170816 222542
New2dagame

New2dagame

Bud looks great ! Wish you could let dry longer then 3.5 days . Specially those big colas . My bud took 4-7 days to dry . Hope it works out for you . Have a great vacation.

B

BrandyBud

Bud looks great ! Wish you could let dry longer then 3.5 days . Specially those big colas . My bud took 4-7 days to dry . Hope it works out for you . Have a great vacation.

I've just been up there. After 36 hours it's drying nicely. I'm confident another 48 should be ok. The photo is deceptive, it's really not that big.

Last edited:
Leew421

Leew421

Next time you harvest try doing something different. Next time cut the whole plant and then hang it. Leave everything in it except Dead leaves that are dried up. Second, when checking dryness try and snap a stem on the leaves instead a thing stem on a bud. The leaves stems take longer and are the last to dry. You want at least 6 days but more 7 and more depending on climate. Good job on the first grow

B

BrandyBud

Hi! I just want to close by repeating what I said in another thread - that on my return from holiday all the buds were fine and dried nicely in a jar/paper bag with humidipaks in. The buds smell good and I'm looking forward to trying them ASAP. I only got a paltry 7 grams in total but I'm happy for my first time and despite the less than ideal rushed harvest. Thank you to everyone for your help and I shall let you know how they vape and will try again next year with some good experience under my belt. Cheers :)

Top Bottom