drying room ?air flow ? temp ? help me !

• Thread starter charlesweedmore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

charlesweedmore

hello all forum folks :hubba:
i will hang up my plants to dry for 5- 10 days as every grower does .i am try to find a suitable place to dry them .i have a grow tent and can i hang the plants in my homebox ? should i keep the fans turn on or off ? i have 2 fans.
active intake fan is 350m3/h and exhaust fan is 660m3/h .
how much air flow is need for drying ? i mean if i should keep my speeed contoller @ minimum level while drying ?

and during hanging phase, is 28C temp a trouble ?

of course i will turn off the HPS while drying the crop.

and about temp,i cant do anything about temp in the room where homebox in it . temp and humidity are very high here. i can drop RH to 55% with a dehuey but this time temp peaks above 30C .

i can dry the crop in a different room with an AC unit to keep temp low, but this time i will have to dry them in a closed closet or a cardboard box without ventilation fans.i dont know if it is ok. can i dry them in a closed closet or a cardboard box without any air flow or just with oscillating fans ?

C

charlesweedmore

i cant decide where i should put the fan as well .i painted 3 different models. could you tell me,which is better ,picture 1,2 or 3 ?

Adsz
Y
Z
R

randalika

well the fans should be at minimum level so the buds are not drying too fast. it should take almost 1-2week to dry the buds (depending on the size and density). temps should be around 18-25°C. humidity about 50-60%, can also be higher if u cater for good air circulation.

because the room air absorbs more water vapor cause of the drying of the buds, u have to cater for fresh and dry (and circulating) air. higher humidity means a longer drying process but also a higher risk for mold. the relative humidity is in direct proportion to temperature. warm air can absorb much more moisture than cold. is it too cold, the humidity condenses on surfaces and leads to wet! the temp should not decrease imho +15 °C, because the risk for mold then can significantly increase through condensation.
all three factors (temp, humidity and time) are directly linked. changes to one of them also affect the others! e.g. warmer=>dry=>faster =>the final product suffers much in taste and effect.

for my part i try to dry slow and sparing - the slower u dry ur weed the better it will be :)

F

FastForward

Air movement is good, just keep it low - fresh air is nice - I use a fan speed controller to turn an RVK100 (low power, 4") down to the minimum speed, with passive in. Try to keep temps around 18-20. That's about it.....read DJS's article about curing...but hang for a week whole (or with fans removed), brown bag for 3-4 days, then jar.

I used to have major issues drying weed, but the minute I put the fan speed controller on everything sorted itself out. Too much air acts as a speed dryer.....air can be bad...but too little is also nasty.....a very gentle flow works well I find. Now, within 2 months of that fan speed controller I can happily say my buds are primo :)

EDIT: Picture 3, one passive inlet, and a fan speed controller on your fan.....bob's yer auntie and life is loved :)

J

Jalisco Kid

I would put it in the room with a/c. Use just enough air movement that if you put some incense in the passive you could follow it out the exhaust. Try to go 10 days at least. I use 75*F and the first day 70%rh and go down to 45% by day 10. Suerte JK
Use a clean needle to probe your buds to make sure no grey mold shows up. I am amazed how much herb is ruined during this stage

R

randalika

why werd?
it is common knowledge that weed that got too fast dried smells and taste like shit hay cause simply put the microorganisms couldnt reduce all the chlorophyll in the buds. so one should try to dry the buds as slow as possible within a min temp of 15°C (cause of the mold) and maximal possible rel. humidity of 70% (depending on size and density of the buds).
as already said it should at least last about 10-14days to pre-dry ur buds, curing afterwards in ziplocs or preserving jars.

so please tell me ... why is that werd? :)

edit: nevertheless i would prefer pic3 :smiley_joint:

C

couchlock

great info.:nerd
How dry do you let your buds get before you put them in jars?

A

addicted

great info.:nerd
How dry do you let your buds get before you put them in jars?

Now that is the real trick :)... I do the tried and true method of stem snap. I check the stems for firmness. Ideally you want this to be right before the stem will actually 'snap' for you. Sooooo, just a little bit of moisture still left inside :cash:cash:cash

S

sfzoo

I'm not sure as to what the paper bag does. I've heard it 'sweats' the buds, but what does that mean, and how does it differ from hang drying?

S

supasticky

I've used a cardboard box also. All you need is for the fan to be pointing at the boxes and have two holes on each side for the air to go through. I try to let the buds do their thing themselves and the fan is only there to get out excess water in the air and keep the temp down. Having it hot isn't that bad unless it is ridiculously hot. What you don't want is a lot of light and a lot of humidity. Keep it in a closet with the door open so the fan can blow in and don't let sunlight hit the boxes.

-Supa

M

MediVapeMan

It's very simple. Dry buds in a dark place with a RH as close to 50% as possible and a temp as close to 75f as possible with as little air flow as possible until the stems snap (usually 7-10 days for me). When the stems snap jar them to cure. Let them breath every day for 10-15 minutes for the first week they are in jars. Never store your buds in anything plastic to dry or cure. The end.

R

redog

Question to Jalisco Kid

Use a clean needle to probe your buds to make sure no grey mold shows up. I am amazed how much herb is ruined during this stage

What do you do when you find gray mold at this stage?

Doing my first grow this year and I pulled a couple of nugs off early.Put them in an open mason jar and a week later one of the buds looked like it had spider webs all over it.
I'm bumming.All this effort only to find out I have to "rube" some kind of dark space with airflow.

S

supasticky

damn...

What do you do when you find gray mold at this stage?

You throw it away. I'm really sorry man I know how that feels, but at least you got the experience. Next time look up curing and try again. If you haven't cut down everything then you still have a chance and in that case look up curing(or just read this thread) and do it right.

-Supa

:character0004:

M

MediVapeMan

Yeah, toss that moldy bud. Smoking moldy bud can cause a serious lung infection or worse. Sounds like it was only a couple buds you plucked early. Make sure the rest dries thoroughly before jarring it. After it passes the snap test put it in brown paper bags or cardboard boxes for 24 hrs, then cut it off the stalks and jar it. Then once you jar it you have to let it breath every day. Open the jars, stir the buds as much as possible without damaging them and then let it sit with the top off for 10-15 min. Do this once or twice a day for at least a week before bagging it. This has always worked for me.

M

mrdizzle

I bought a 4x8 darkroom from jardin, put a small mountain air filter in it and a 6inch vortext. I put the thing up in my bed room for a week, amazing filter zero smell. shut my bedroom room and keep the fan running 24/7. I turn a dehum on the lowest setting and put it in my room as well. after about 7day i put them in a big plastic ikea container, and close it, tossing them every couple days.

I realized that early on, I was bagging them too early when they were still too wet, my bud never developed aroma. I would feel the buds were a little crispy so i would get nervous and think i was going to lose all this weight and bag them. but the fact is even a crunchy bone dry bud still has alot of moisture in the stem. also bagging up nugs that are too moist makes the crystals look matted down from being dry then wet then dry

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Slow and low!!! 60-65 deg and 50-60% humidity. 9-14 days hanging, 3-5 shoebox or paper bag, 2-3 weeks jar.....

Make sure they are dry before the jar!!!!

Top Bottom