Drying Room Conditions.

• Thread starter y0yoyoy0420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
y0yoyoy0420

y0yoyoy0420

Hi All,
I've been growing for sometime now and I just moved. At the last house, the conditions were great, but this new house, for some reason its more humid than the last. I am finishing off my first batch but the closet I am drying in is 60%+ humidity. Does anyone know what happens when dry your buds in a room with high humidity? Thanks.

y0yoyoy0

B

budseyeveiw

you need quite dry warm air id say. either vent it or do it some where else.

S

SSHZ

They will take longer to dry and this in turn can lead to mold. I would consider puting in a dehumidifier and lower humidity to around 40%. Also a fan lightly blowing in the room will help move moisture from the air directly around the drying buds....

O

organicfreak

i agree dryier the better look into dryingracks to...

y0yoyoy0420

y0yoyoy0420

I noticed before that dryin in high heat will make the trichomes burst. From the naked eye, the thc on the herb will look sorta fuzzy and creamy. Under microscope, the heads of the thc are mostly popped. This was exxamined before being put into jars. Never really dried in high humidity before, so im scared it might degrade the quality of my buds. Drying too fast loses its flavor and potency as well. I guess this is a trial and error for me, let you guys know if theres a big difference in drying rooms with 60% humdidity. will update in a week or two

jammie

jammie

its not the high humidity alone that causes mold, its the lack of good air circulation. i grew up in tobacco country and they use high heat and humidity to cure tobacco but also maintain air flow. those barns look like that for a reason

T

treehugger

Mold is a strong possibility.

and what is most interesting is that most of the mold remains hidden deep inside the bud where the eye doesn't see, but when lit, the musty odor arises and you begin wondering " should i be smoking this?"

To the OP, drying is a balance of temperature, humidity, and air volume - if one is whacked you can sometimes compensate with one of the others. In your case you could try raising the temps (no higher than 95f), which lowers the RH and increases evaporation. Increasing the air speed/volume is not as helpful and can sometimes have a negative effect on gland bling.

As mentioned, you never want to complete your initial dry* in under four days, or your green chlorophylls will not have enough time to breakdown and your finished goods will be ugly, harsh and taste like grass (the wrong kind!)

*pre-cure

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have found that, even with large volume (space) and good air movement that it's really the balance of conditions that can lead to mold, as well as the original overall health of the plant. The only time I find mold IN the buds is in those buds that have been attacked by caterpillars. I find their turds in the middle of it and then I know what's happened. That's why it is SO important, especially for outdoor growers, to be absolutely diligent about spraying for 'pillars. I didn't last year and my most purple girl got hit HARD. Nothing you do during drying and curing is going to make that crap go away.
its not the high humidity alone that causes mold, its the lack of good air circulation. i grew up in tobacco country and they use high heat and humidity to cure tobacco but also maintain air flow. those barns look like that for a reason
Just like hops drying barns, I learned a few years ago. Thanks Huell Howser, you took me to Sloughhouse and taught me more local history. :)

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

Im a grower from Florida I know about drying weed in high humidity, it sucks it takes a long time for the bud to cure. I moved to Colorado and bought a dehumidifier. The Dehumidifier I got was a GE 40 pint it pulls 40 pints once a day during flower to keep things nice and dry. they are only 150 bucks. good investment. back in Florida i used Damprid and fans i think damprid is like calcium carbonate look it up.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50...e=UTF8&qid=1471457936&sr=8-2&keywords=dry+rid

T

Tenmilestyle

You want your temp around 65 f and your humidity at 60 62 if you want your herb to taste its best but if you havnt been keeping an eye on your shit and you think you have chances of bud rot the then you will want too go alot lower on the humidity.

T

Tenmilestyle

20180413 014114
You want your temp around 65 f and your humidity at 60 62 if you want your herb to taste its best but if you havnt been keeping an eye on your shit and you think you have chances of bud rot the then you will want too go alot lower on the humidity.

T

Tenmilestyle

I think after 7 years he figured it out
I thought it was a bit late myself but then again i found this conversation by asking a simple question on the internet and thought others would also not knowing how too get tasty buds so here i am because id like too help others not do what i did my first time

Top Bottom