drywall gypsum

• Thread starter oil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oil

oil

Has anyone ever used drywall gypsum as fertilizer? I have a tons of scrap that I want to compost. If it can be used does it need to be composted before use, or can I just crumble it up and top dress?

symbiote420

symbiote420

I used to use it religiously before MI went medical and all the stores opened up! I used to crush it up and add directly into my mix ......to tell you the truth my crops were better with less problems/deficiencies showing up, I've been making my way back to my old F.O.S. it's all about the $$$!

I've tried alot of what's considered the "best" nutrient lines out and none of them produce a better product and with ease like my old ways

Composted cow manure, chicken shiz, potting soil, perlite, bone meal, charcoal, Espoma Plant Tone 5-3-3, gypsum from drywall, and molasses!

symbiote420

symbiote420

I meant to say "making my way back to my old ways, so many nute companies are so F.O.S. it's all about the $$$!"

coloradochem

coloradochem

hey sym what kinda application rates have you used with the gyp.

K

kolah

It has asbestos in it. The older stuff and the new stuff. I would never use it to grow MMJ.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

It has asbestos in it. The older stuff and the new stuff. I would never use it to grow MMJ.

Been saying this for fucking years too people on pot/boomer boards. Theres a few other nastys in there you wouldnt want too slide down your food trap. Get a bag of gypsum (horticulture grade) youll have too look at a feed store or somewhere outside the concrete jungle, but one bag will last you FOREVER!!!!!

symbiote420

symbiote420

Wow! ....I never knew that and I used like 1 tbsp per gallon!
It's becoming very aware to me that there's a hidden danger in almost everything we use whether organic or not ....bone & blood meal .....heavy metals from liquid ferts .......damaging the earth by depleting bat caves and peat bogs ....I'm tweakin', seems we live, learn, and grow on.
I've used chalk before as well back in the daze, probably even worse huh?

symbiote420

symbiote420

Hey kolah you're post reminded me of that commercial where the mom says to her family "it's got radon in it!" lol great info bro, I had some boards around here I was about to crush up, I saw a bag of fast acting gypsum for 5 bucks at the hardware store!

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Hey kolah you're post reminded me of that commercial where the mom says to her family "it's got radon in it!" lol great info bro, I had some boards around here I was about to crush up, I saw a bag of fast acting gypsum for 5 bucks at the hardware store!
pellatized stuff rite

K

kolah

Wallboard aka drywall aka gypsum board aka sheet rock are all the same animal. As I said, the old stuff is laced with asbestos and so is the new shit. The US (supposedly) banned US factories from putting asbestos in their drywall and in their drywall mud (aka wall compound). BUT you can buy the shit in any US store because they ship it in from Mexico and Canada which still has asbestos added to it and it is sold here everywhere. I do not think there are any USA factories making the stuff anymore.

BTW if your house is tested and found to contain asbestos wallboard (or mud) it is considered a HazMat emergency and say goodbye to your nice little house that is now toxic and unsellable on the market. The same goes for that popcorn ceiling texture that was all the rage back in the 80's. All shit.

Here in CO most insurance claims have a strict policy and will send out an inspector to test for asbestos on the walls before doing any remodel or tear down work. It can not be in any school or daycare buildings either. What baffles my ass is that the US supposedly bans it but allows it to be imported here for sale and usage.

coloradochem

coloradochem

dry wall guy here. Murco products makes mud in the u.s. still. They have a factory here in southern colorado.
Now im not trying to arguing with you. but i have bid, managed and done alot of drywall in schools, colleges, military installations, day care centers, va hospitals, regular hospitals, insurance claims, new construction, remodels, etc etc. and have NEVER seen or heard of a test for asbestos in drywall board or mud. Now as far as board imported from other countries, I have seen alot of Chinese drywall. And have had to take down rock that was found to be from china, after it was hung. This is my experience, and if it is standard procedure to test for it. I would of known about it.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Wallboard aka drywall aka gypsum board aka sheet rock are all the same animal. As I said, the old stuff is laced with asbestos and so is the new shit. The US (supposedly) banned US factories from putting asbestos in their drywall and in their drywall mud (aka wall compound). BUT you can buy the shit in any US store because they ship it in from Mexico and Canada which still has asbestos added to it and it is sold here everywhere. I do not think there are any USA factories making the stuff anymore.

BTW if your house is tested and found to contain asbestos wallboard (or mud) it is considered a HazMat emergency and say goodbye to your nice little house that is now toxic and unsellable on the market. The same goes for that popcorn ceiling texture that was all the rage back in the 80's. All shit.

Here in CO most insurance claims have a strict policy and will send out an inspector to test for asbestos on the walls before doing any remodel or tear down work. It can not be in any school or daycare buildings either. What baffles my ass is that the US supposedly bans it but allows it to be imported here for sale and usage.

Oh fuck just wait till people realize whats in spray foam insulation......well it was on the home makeover show I saw on t.v. must be good right? lol. Face Palm.......

Whats even more fucked, the same company that began producing asbestos sold the company in bankruptcy for enough too pay off and clean 100's of thousands of homes and still had enough to start up......drum roll......the same company's selling us the same fucking products they did before the law suits and bans.....and came up with 3 kinds of spray foam insulation....

K

kolah

I know it to be factual as I experienced two incidents regarding the issue.

Last Fall I did a insurance job for a homeowner. His pipes froze up and blew water all over the place. His insurance covered it. I had to open up the walls to repair the plumbing but before I did any tear-down
the insurance adjuster had to hire an HazMat inspector to come and test all the involved walls for asbestos.
A guy came out and scratched off some samples and sent them off to be tested. While he was there I spoke with him in detail about the testing, asbestos, mud ingredients, liabilities, building codes, etc. He appeared as though he was schooled well and very knowledgable about the topic. Now read below:

In 2009, I had encounter with the BOCES school district here in CO as they were looking at purchasing a recently remodeled building for expansion. They agreed to purchase the building but by law (and to "keep the kids safe") they were forced to have the walls and piping checked for asbestos before making the purchase. Since it was just remodeled 6 months ago with new drywall no one seemed worried about it. Well, the test came back positive and the deal was off.

How do I know all this? It was MY building and I did the work. I had no fucking idea new drywall and mud could contain asbestos.

Needless to say I lost out on the sale.

I can probably dig up the name and tel number of the HazMat/asbestos guy and I believe it was State Farm Insurance who handled the water break coverage and demanded the testing. I didn't know about Murco so thanks for that info.

dry wall guy here. Murco products makes mud in the u.s. still. They have a factory here in southern colorado.
Now im not trying to arguing with you. but i have bid, managed and done alot of drywall in schools, colleges, military installations, day care centers, va hospitals, regular hospitals, insurance claims, new construction, remodels, etc etc. and have NEVER seen or heard of a test for asbestos in drywall board or mud. Now as far as board imported from other countries, I have seen alot of Chinese drywall. And have had to take down rock that was found to be from china, after it was hung. This is my experience, and if it is standard procedure to test for it. I would of known about it.

K

kolah

Chem, I'm not sure if or how much this varies from county to county. Is it possible maybe they are not enforcing it in your area?

Requirements for Contractors Doing Demolition or Renovation in Colorado

State and federal laws apply to any demolition, renovation, remodel, etc. - even a small or partial one. We want to make sure the law does not delay anyone in getting a permit. If you have more questions after you read this, please call Jannette Whitcomb, Environmental Health Program Coordinator, at 920-5069.

There are two main requirements:
  1. Hire a State Certified Asbestos Inspector to test for asbestos.
  2. If asbestos is found, hire a State Certified Asbestos Abatement Company to properly remove any asbestos.
[top]

Required Asbestos Inspection

In every building, before any remodel involving removing 160 sq ft (commercial) or 32 sq ft (residential) or more of material (excluding concrete, bricks, and steel), a state certified asbestos inspector must conduct an inspection.

This means if you're doing a demolition and it involves drywall, ceiling tile, ceiling panels, floor tile, coved baseboard, acoustic tile, carpet, plaster, stucco, roofing material, etc., it must be tested by an individual licensed to do asbestos testing before removal can occur. The asbestos test report is required before you can get a building permit.

Please be sure to allow enough time for the inspection, sample collection, sample analysis, and to have the report written.

If there is no asbestos found, the demolition can proceed.
[top]

K

kolah

a bit more on the topic below (and btw the inspector that tested my plumbing job walls charged State Farm 500 bucks. It took him a whole ten minutes and then we talked outside for about an hour, lol)

Inspection
In Colorado it is required that any building or part of a building that is to be renovated, demolished, or disturbed is inspected for asbestos by a certified asbestos inspector, which can be found easily online or in the phone book under "Asbestos Consulting and Testing" (1). In order to properly inspect a building according to Colorado law, an inspector must go through a variety of steps. First the inspector must visually inspect the area to determine the locations of any asbestos containing materials and touch these areas to determine whether or not the asbestos fibers are friable (1). For any highly concentrated areas of suspected friable asbestos, the inspector must collect samples (1). To do so according to Colorado regulations, he or she must take at least three samples from each suspected area that is over 1,000 cubic feet (1). Once the samples have been assessed, the inspector must then file an inspection report (1). If it is determined that the levels of asbestos concentration exceed certain levels, a certified asbestos remover must abate the asbestos before any renovations or demolitions can occur (1).
http://www.asbestos-abatement.com/state-resources/colorado.html

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
that shit also has small amounts of fiberglass f that

oil

oil

They do not make dry wall with asbestos anymore. My father worked cleaning up asbestos. People know its deadly now so its not used for any building materials that I know of.

oil

oil

Good to hear positive feedback. Looks like Ill have enough gypsum for the rest of my life.

K

kolah

Oil, they still sell tons of wallboard and mud with asbestos in it here in the states. It is what it is. :)

BTW, I have a General Contractor license in the state of CO... which IMO does not mean much as any dummy can get one but I do have 30+ years experience in home construction. I have to play by the rules or they take away my license. The ONLY reason I applied for the license it that it opens up opportunities to get insurance jobs. And the insurance companies prefer to deal with GC's.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

So he's the guy that sold me that shit cough, cough lol.. No kidding Kola especially the stuff out today, like all the shit from china, I think they must have took the glue out of those tents that off gassed and put it in the drywall lol..

I think this business week link is a reliable source also all the reports on ABC news and such.

http://www.businessweek.com/stories...siness-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

Top Bottom