Drywall/Insulate interior walls in commercial space?

• Thread starter max_well
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

max_well

Hey yall
I'm building a sealed room into a ~22 ft. wide industrial space by walling off 14' in from the back wall. This room will be a closed environment grow utilizing mini splits for cooling purposes. The existing 3 walls are all interior walls built in to a large warehouse space that is partitioned and have drywall on top of 2"x4" construction with no insulation between studs. I'm wondering if it will be worthwhile to frame , insulate, and drywall on top of these existing walls. Alternatively I would just make sure these walls are well sealed and cover them with some reflectix type of insulation that can be taped tightly at the seams. I found a product called 'prodex' mentioned in this forum that looks to be a good deal right for my application: http://www.insulation4less.com/
Anyone have insight about this approach to insulation of whether the extra work and cost of doubling the wall provide any functional or security benefit?
thanks
Max

W

weedfarm

Are any of the existing walls shared with neighbors? If so, I would really consider building additional walls. A small 3-6 inch gap between the new wall and the existing wall will keep sound, smell, etc at bay

Are the studs metal?

I assume you are going to run joists for the ceiling to mount drywall or plywood to. Those joists need something to sit on. You may be able to run a a board along the wall. I think the proper way is to remove the drywall and tie into the studs directly.. Not something I would want to do if sharing the wall with a neighbor

If there are no neighbors, I may just use the existing wall if interior. If exterior, I would probably insulate if temps get extreme in your area

N

NRG

I am looking a building a room, and came across this, just sitting down for the show, and hoping to learn something.

hiboy

hiboy

Weedfarm wrapped it up pretty good. For temperature reasons insulation helps. Its also good for security/privacy issues. I have a room in a normal house right next to the other room, and built a wall with soundboard, insulation and drywall spaced a couple inches off the existing interior wall and you cant hear a thing. THe vortex fan is right near it and nothing.

G

gudkarma

i built my room in a detached garage.

while i could have easily gone with a tent, i decided a room would help with control over the environment away from central heat.

i went with 2x3 studs, & because i restore cars (no extra build a lab work room), i built the entire structure in modular sections.

for the roof i used, believe it or not, 1x3 "woven" together kinda like a boat skeleton... i went with 2" tuff foam up top.

my slice of heaven is 10' x 7.5' x 8'

i'd ask the OP why couldn't you just build out of a corner - and have two walls established? i built out a corner so i constructed just two walls, a full sized door, roof, and ducting system.

imo, insulation is the key. add vapor barrier and that's key double.

i went : particle board on the outside => 6 mil clear plastic => 2x3 studs => r15 paper faced insulation => panda plastic for the interior walls

broham, you'll spend on insulation but save $ down the line with better overall efficiency (& reduced noise outside of room too).

my night time (no lights on) grow room temps hover around 60-62 degrees with only a 700w space heater and the exhaust running half speed! to control humidity (vs. a de-heuy).

this morning the humidity in my garage was 80%
my room (inside the same space) 45%

during 'lights on' i dont even use/need a heater ...and there's straight up snow on the ground ...it's butt ass cold as hell outside.

insulation also requires the proper spacing of studs (to make install of insul. fast & easy)... dont forget.

finally, for what i spent on my entire structure (screws to caulk to you name it) was a half the cost of a similar size, shitty, ebay tent.

M

max_well

THanks for the helpful feedback.
Good suggestions Weedfarm. Yes this space has neighbors on the other sides of the walls .. but there is a layer of drywall and soundboard on each side of the exisiting framing, so noise is not a huge concern. Good insight about the ceiling joists, and as you point out, running a ledger board on top of the framing for the back wall might not be sufficient to support a ceiling as well as a room above for a 2nd story veg space. .. Maybe new framing /drywall on the back wall will be enough and we can avoid doubling the side walls. I'll try to get some photos up as it develops.
Max

W

weedfarm

22x14?

Plan on a couple posts in the room to support the ceiling. We had a 20x20 room framed from scratch and we were sure we built a good ceiling 2x8 tripled up with OSB for the center joist, etc. After we put the ballasts up there, the ceiling sagged and we had to throw up a couple 4x4 posts

H

highcymbaline

I want to insulate this shop

I'm wondering if I really need to and what the best way to go about it would be since I don't own the property.

It's about 50x65 feet and has a woodburning stove. I have no clue about insulation, was thinking about putting up some of those big silver sheets, but am not sure if it would do much good not being drywalled over. Am also worried about growing mold behind the insulation possibly. It gets to about 20 degrees at night in the winter. Was also thinking if I split up my light cycle so that some were running while the other ones were off that it might be enough to heat the place...is it a lost cause or anyone have suggestions? thanks :)

Top Bottom