DTW vs Recirculating for coco trees/ bushes

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtrees

Ive been doing coco bushes for awhile and a few trees (bushes being around #1 and trees being around #2) and ive always done DTW but im super sick of feeling like im wasting newts not to mention having to mix newts twice a week sometimes...

I know everyone who does RDWC is recirculating for trees but most trees I see with coco are DTW even if they are mostly perlite where u have to water even more than once a day.

I usually do 1:1 coco perlite or around there so I water once a day and things are easy and work well but I feel like I waste a ton of water trying to get 20% run off...which usually turns into 30% run off to avoid salt build ups and avoid dry spots in those giant 20g pots

So does any one recirculate nutes for there coco trees? I know the ladies would like the same nutes each water but Id rather be a little more water conscious if ill get the same results from recirculating. Anyone see any issues by recirculating for giant plants in coco? Im hoping to switch it up this next go... thanks everyone

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I've thought about this myself. Currently I'm running DTW, and I got things dialed in where I only have about 3 gallons of runoff a day. I use drip clean from House and Garden and I haven't flushed at all for the last 3 weeks.....and have no issues with salt build up.

I had a buddy who does ebb and flow tell me that I was hurting myself running dtw....but when we did the math he actually wastes a lot more than I do by doing weekly rez changes.

Not sure if you have seen the new uc earth setups yet. I think Texas Kid just started a thread with them. They seem to run on the recirculating idea. But I haven't seen it fully in action yet.

B

bakershredhead

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm going to convert my ebb tables to coco on a drip and was wondering about reusing the nutes. I thought I had read somewhere it wasn't a good idea to recirculate the nutes with coco. I tried the flood and drain with coco and smart pots and the plants didn't like it so went back to top feed drain to waste.

M

mrdizzle

DTW, like celtic said you can dial in your feeding so your not dumping a ton of nutes.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

+1 for DTW! Incorporate a cycle timer and you will see better yields too! Goodluck

K

kushtrees

even if watering multiple times a day DTW?

IMO (and I havent tried this yet) It seems like having an airier medium (more hydrotron perlite etc) which would allow you to water more say 4+ times a day would be a larger benefit than DTW.

More oxygen>more stable nute EC?

I just dont see how DTW watering like 5-6 times a day is economical or good for the environment... Also seems like unless your getting a solid amount of run off/ feeding with plain water every couple days your asking for salt build ups. When I was using blumats (no run off) in 15g pots the media stayed a great moisture but I got salt build ups by week like 6 granted I only tried these like twice...

Ima be trying recirculating this time around with 4:1 hydrotron or perlite to coco hopefully Ill have enough time to do a log if im lucky what with school and all

D

Donkdbz

My last run was 70-80% perlite the rest coco. Was going through 20-30gallons a water a day. Top feed drain to very little waste. I would have around 1-3 gallons of runoff somedays none. If salts seem to start building up just top res with RO and run 1/4 to 1/2 str nutes for 3-4 days.

I also fed 10 times a day

K

kushtrees

Donkbdz I was just about to pm you about this very thing as I saw your last grow and was very impressed, beautiful trees.

What EC are you running nutes at? I usually stay below 2.2 but doing what you did I would try for lower I feel like... how often did you find you needed to dilute nutrients? once a week or more?

btw I assume you were watering once or twice at night as well...?

thanks for all the info everyone this is a huge help!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I use a cycle timer to water 12 times per lights on cycle. My medium always stays wet and every time the pump kicks on I have a bit of run off. My setup is very similar to Donkbudz with vert trees but I use 27 gallon tough boxes hempy style. Also I use 75 % perlite and the rest coco and the bottom I fill with hydroton untill it is over the drain fitting. I feed daily and I throw in a flush every 2 weeks or so with about 50% strength nutes. I feel DTW is far more economical because I actually use less nutes then I did with recirc not to mention my yields are far superior. I use my run off for my veggie garden and they are loving life! For 6 trees I use about 20-25 gallons per day in 27 gallon containers.

D

Donkdbz

I ran 1.9-2.0 ec. I did not keep track of how often I would dilute. guessing once a week. No water at night. I set my cycle timer so last feed was around 10mins before lights out. a few times I went in a few hours before lights on and dug the perlite back and the coco was still moist.

K

kushtrees

This thread has been awesomely helpful! I'm definitely going to try DTW on a cycle timer now. Seems to be the overall best way to do it, thanks everyone here

+rep to u all

Jack Stackman

Jack Stackman

B.S. runs his with very lil run off. Like MrDizzle said, if u get ur system dialed in right, u wont need to flush or have a lot of run off when feeding... U add that timer/ auto feed and it'll be smooth sailin...

...Jay Es... :smiley_joint:

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
What kind of short cycle timer? CAP?

G

Gaval

Digital timers the best set a stop watch when u start feeding and get a moisture meter from ur grow shop u can get it down to seconds

Top Bottom