DTW vs. Recirculating in Coco, via top-fed drip

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pisces

Pisces

Is it because the runoff is collected again and reused?

Thats exactly the reason… and one of many why most people run DTW instead.
Way less variables to deal with and we know Exactly what our plants are getting and when.

Recirc works…you just have to be diligent with water changes.
Otherwise you'll keep fighting problems instead of just having a nice simple tech to attend to

Prestige

Prestige

Fk yea, that sums it up perfectly for me. Thanks, bro! Recirculating drip with Coco = Outta the question.

Man, I had it all planned out, bought all this shit.... So bummed. I was all happy for like 2 or 3 days like 'I know exactly what I'm gonna do and it's gonna be awesome!' And now its back to the drawing-board.

Prestige

Prestige

Real quick, Piscies; with your system you feed/water once a day (that's what turned me off about it), do you really see just as good of results as you did doing multiple feeds in coco?

Pisces

Pisces

What exactly turned you off about watering once a day?

With my system, I can mix nutes and water 18 large plants in about 5 minutes.

I'm Literally in & out of my room in 10 minutes….Once a week I prune which takes another 30 minutes.

This is by far the easiest system I have ever run….It has followed me to two locations and I'll be expanding here once again soon.

Good luck man.
Pisces.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

With my system, I can mix nutes and water 18 large plants in about 5 minutes.

I'm Literally in & out of my room in 10 minutes….Once a week I prune which takes another 30 minutes.

This is by far the easiest system I have ever run….It has followed me to two locations and I'll be expanding here once again soon.

Good luck man.
Pisces.
...yeah, my coco hempys carry about the same workload, ...i've never used the croutons myself but i've seen threads by folks i respect and i've seen some solid results, for me it came down to wanting to rid my op of stuff like rockwool and perlite, now i grow in coco, i clone in coco, shit, i play in coco, lol, i do NOT like going to the growshop.

so my grows have three ingredients, grorocks for the bottom reservoirs in my hempys, coco for up top as my main grow media and Jack's Pro Hydro, which is actually a 2 part so i'm wrong, there are 4 ingredients.

...those are the only products i buy and i don't buy them very often 'cause i re-use my coco and my grorocks and the Jack's is so economical that i'm still only about half way through my first 25lb bag and i bought that a bit more than 2 years ago so even with a recent expansion i expect i still have enough for another 2 years.

peace, bozo

Prestige

Prestige

Pisces.

So what turned me off about the one watering a day is that (in my mind) it kinda defeats the purpose of going hydro. Like everyone else says; I feel the real benefit of coco is letting my gurls get root-bound and watering it multiple times a day. I am hand-watering atm and cannot feed as many times as I would like, one of the many reasons I decided to go with automated drippers.

Prestige

Prestige

For those of you who have tried both RW and Coco; does RW really drain and dry faster?

Prestige

Prestige

Also, I wanted to let you guys know that I have settled on Coco, DTW with automated drippers. I am buying a second pump and gonna use it to empty my waste-catch. 40 gallon res and 40 gallon waste-catch. Anyone have any idea as to how often ill have to empty this thing out?

Prestige

Prestige

I've been checking-out your guys' grows, painfully beautiful, seriously. I'm so jealous. I just can't wait.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Prestige the reason you dont want to use coco for recirculating is because like piscis said coco binds to CaMg and K. And also lets say your plant uses more P than K one day or uses a ton of N one day. Whenever that runoff with depleted nutrients drains to your rez your whole NPK solution will be off balance which will not show on your tds meter but will show in your plants in the form of deficencies and nutrient lock out, which will screw with yout ph drastically also. Dont run rockwool that stuff wont get you close to the yield and quality coco will, and coco is reusable for years. Just feed from a drum to your top feed line and let the water drain into the rez under your table. Get a pump and a garden hose and pump the runoff to the toilet whenever it gets half full. DTW coco is so easy, you waste more on nutrients every run, but it pays you back ten fold in the end.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

If your not a commercial op, id just use a $10 water wand hooked to a pump in a 55g drum. Once your roots have filled in the pots, water till run off once a day and drain rez under tables manually with pump and hose. also testing your runoff will help you dial feedings. Lets say you feed your plants 1000ppms at 5.9 ph, and the runoff is reading 1200 ppms at 6.2 ph. This means your plants are eatting more water than nutrients, so your next feed youd want to feed 800ppms at 5.7 ph to get your pots in range. And vice versa if the ppms come out lower you should raise your ppms. If you need any help PM me bro.

Prestige

Prestige

Will do, thanks broski! It's like medium-sized commercial, I'm trying to expand, but it is a lot harder than you guys make it look; so many variables and planning.

I tried to help with what advice I had in your other post.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I have gone to 60/40 coco/hydroton DTW with drip spikes I water 3 PH water to 1 feed Jacks Pro... I am just a small time new grower but this has a much larger potential, anyhow so far So good.
Much respect Farmers

SAM 1467
S

Seed Buyer

I have run recirculating Ebb & Flow tables for year with coco and GH Nova or H&G Aqua Flakes with zero problems. I have discussed this in length with Gary, one of the heads of Canna US, who advised against it favoring drain to waste but I had nill issues.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

I have run recirculating Ebb & Flow tables for year with coco and GH Nova or H&G Aqua Flakes with zero problems. I have discussed this in length with Gary, one of the heads of Canna US, who advised against it favoring drain to waste but I had nill issues.

please..share your recipe and how you accomplished this feat..
respect

Latest posts

Top Bottom