Dual Tent, One Exhaust. No Time Or Money To Spare. Help!

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Quick stats:
Tent 1 - 2x2x4=16 cf
Tent 2 - 5x5x7=175 cf
Total 191 cf

Here's the issue. I have a hydro farm 165cfm 4" one filter that is clogged from excessive humidity and no pre filter. I don't have the dough to upgrade to 6". I hope to use the 4" system for a bit to get by. I plan to use a 4" inline booster somewhere in the mix. I also am constructing a DIY freestanding air scrubber to assist with the aroma.
Couple questions...
General advice on multi tent exhausting. Anybody ever refill one of these can filters? I have a bunch of activated charcoal already for diy scrubber. Read other forum, could be done. Read elsewhere it can't.
Best way to set this up? One tent to the next to the exterior of house? Pull each tent separately to a single plenum box to the exterior? I have a booster fan to make up for the lack of cfm. Not sure where to place it. I'm gonna draw something up and share soon. I kind of like the idea of a plenum box. I can house the fan and filter in it to help reduce noise. So let's brainstorm a bit and figure this shit out cuz I got 9 girls ready to spread their branches.

Monster762

Monster762

Quick stats:
Tent 1 - 2x2x4=16 cf
Tent 2 - 5x5x7=175 cf
Total 191 cf

Here's the issue. I have a hydro farm 165cfm 4" one filter that is clogged from excessive humidity and no pre filter. I don't have the dough to upgrade to 6". I hope to use the 4" system for a bit to get by. I plan to use a 4" inline booster somewhere in the mix. I also am constructing a DIY freestanding air scrubber to assist with the aroma.
Couple questions...
General advice on multi tent exhausting. Anybody ever refill one of these can filters? I have a bunch of activated charcoal already for diy scrubber. Read other forum, could be done. Read elsewhere it can't.
Best way to set this up? One tent to the next to the exterior of house? Pull each tent separately to a single plenum box to the exterior? I have a booster fan to make up for the lack of cfm. Not sure where to place it. I'm gonna draw something up and share soon. I kind of like the idea of a plenum box. I can house the fan and filter in it to help reduce noise. So let's brainstorm a bit and figure this shit out cuz I got 9 girls ready to spread their branches.
Your fan is good. Get rid of clogged filter. In exhaust tubing ,outside the tents where you send air out put paint strainer bag with moth balls in it. Strainer bag $2 Home Depot and moth balls available at dollar store. Beats the $100 carbon filter. It's ghetto but works. Just make sure it is on the out side of tents.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Your fan is good. Get rid of clogged filter. In exhaust tubing ,outside the tents where you send air out put paint strainer bag with moth balls in it. Strainer bag $2 Home Depot and moth balls available at dollar store. Beats the $100 carbon filter. It's ghetto but works. Just make sure it is on the out side of tents.
I read about moth balls. I might try that to get this going. I've got some girls waiting to move in. What do you think about flow of ventilation? I was hoping to just go from tent to tent and then outside. Figured leaving only one of the large cinch sock holes open for intake on the small tent. Connecting tents then exiting top of large tent. No other intake on large tent. Booster fan to help at intake, between tents or maybe inline just before exiting house? Not sure if even worth the hassle. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Monster762

Monster762

I read about moth balls. I might try that to get this going. I've got some girls waiting to move in. What do you think about flow of ventilation? I was hoping to just go from tent to tent and then outside. Figured leaving only one of the large cinch sock holes open for intake on the small tent. Connecting tents then exiting top of large tent. No other intake on large tent. Booster fan to help at intake, between tents or maybe inline just before exiting house? Not sure if even worth the hassle. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah that's how I would run airflow. What kind of lights? If you have a lower and upper hole going into second tent be better I think. I've never used tent. I use drywall and just built temporary mods to bedroom. Building one now. Deciding on 2 or 3 room rotation. Now if second tent is going to be flower tent be sure your joining holes don't leak light.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Just an update. Procrastinating, but getting the silencer box for the fan built today. I'll post some pics later. Gonna get a section of insulated ducting from tent to exterior to also help with noise. Planning to use the moth balls in the exhaust for now, but I hooked the hf fan to the filter and it seemed to draw air thru.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Be cautious using stuff like that in flower rooms. The flowrrs may absorb the moth ball scent.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Be cautious using stuff like that in flower rooms. The flowrrs may absorb the moth ball scent.
Outside of the tent should be ok? If I stuff a mesh sack full of moth balls in the exhaust before exiting the house. Not around the plants. This is gonna be back up plan if the 4" can filter doesn't scrub the air that well. Thinking filter is old. It's a borrowed rig. Was told only used for one run. I've been sold a grandma's car that was only driven to church before though. Lol.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If the grow draws any air where the moth ball air gets dumped, then your at risk of moth ball tasting herb.

Use a scrubber please.

brazel

brazel

Quick stats:
Tent 1 - 2x2x4=16 cf
Tent 2 - 5x5x7=175 cf
Total 191 cf

Couple questions...
You can daisy chain the tents with exhaust but you gotta have intakes for each tent otherwise your just pulling exhaust from one into the next. Booster fans are really weak but if you have one already put it in between the tents with the fan outside of your last tent.
Suspend your fan with bungees and have duct on the exhaust for quietness.
Of course you can repack a scrubber or make one, just make sure you have the correct carbon and mate it to your fan. Small scrubber big fan is no good, pulls air through too fast, big scrubber small fan not efficient.

brazel

brazel

You need fresh intake in every tent otherwise its spent air

brazel

brazel

Outside of the tent should be ok? If I stuff a mesh sack full of moth balls in the exhaust before exiting the house. Not around the plants. This is gonna be back up plan if the 4" can filter doesn't scrub the air that well. Thinking filter is old. It's a borrowed rig. Was told only used for one run. I've been sold a grandma's car that was only driven to church before though. Lol.
Why not use ona?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

If the grow draws any air where the moth ball air gets dumped, then your at risk of moth ball tasting herb.

Use a scrubber please.
as long as fan is running I should be good. No? Fan draws air thru connected smaller tent which draws from the room. If I use the moth balls, it will only be in exhaust duct just before exiting house. I only have small tent venting directly outside. Starting to smell outside due to the overgrown clones inside ready to come out and get transplanted and placed in larger tent for flower. I'm in the process of assembling it now. I do have a filter, but not sure if it's up to par. Gonna hook it all up and check the discharge from house. If I'm happy then won't proceed with moth balls. I do have a sack of activated Coco charcoal. Planned on making diy free standing scrubber for the room. Tends to get stinky when I'm gardening. Got a fan from an old air hockey table. Currently putting it together. I'll post a thread for soon. Figured any little bit helps. Not even sure if its cfm.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Why not use ona?
I've heard of ona. Also heard same thing about ona and off flavors. Moth balls are last resort. I'm gonna see if filter helps, then add activated charcoal in end of exhaust. All else fails, move on to the ona or moth balls.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

You can daisy chain the tents with exhaust but you gotta have intakes for each tent otherwise your just pulling exhaust from one into the next. Booster fans are really weak but if you have one already put it in between the tents with the fan outside of your last tent.
Suspend your fan with bungees and have duct on the exhaust for quietness.
Of course you can repack a scrubber or make one, just make sure you have the correct carbon and mate it to your fan. Small scrubber big fan is no good, pulls air through too fast, big scrubber small fan not efficient.
4" fan, 165 cfm, typical 4"can filter 12" long. I'll find a reference chart, but if you know off hand... Lol.

Monster762

Monster762

I agree. That's why I put the in the exhaust outside the room only right before it goes out the window of the house. Moth balls are poison and have a powerful smell. They cut the bud smell completely but you can not have them in the room. Only in the vent duct on exhaust end of fan blowing out window.

brazel

brazel

I've heard of ona. Also heard same thing about ona and off flavors. Moth balls are last resort. I'm gonna see if filter helps, then add activated charcoal in end of exhaust. All else fails, move on to the ona or moth balls.
I never experienced any flavors from the ona. I've only used the unscented ona

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Nice day in the garage. Blazed some Blue Dream and finished the exhaust fan silencer box. Half inch ply, lined with an "egg carton" foam pad. Holes situated and eyelets to hang from bungee cords. Should cut down on sound and vibration from fan. Once the insulated duct and filter are connected, I'm hoping a drastic reduction in noise level. I have a speed controller waiting in the event full rpm is a little much. Any questions or comments...

IMG 20171001 191316713
IMG 20171001 192549455
IMG 20171001 190544051
IMG 20171001 190603175
IMG 20171001 190617051
IMG 20171001 192535956

Latest posts

Top Bottom