Duct mufflers?

• Thread starter Radio_Dread
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Radio_Dread

Hey fellow farmers. just got myself a 6in duct muffler to try and lower the noise level on my 6in inline fan with out having to keep the speed low. i have a fan speed controler hooked up to the fan as well. i was just wondering what is the best wat to attach the muffler to the fan? tape im guessing? and to hold the muffler up i have a string tied to the ceiling holding it level. they are way lighter then expected.

C

CAPO

I've used only Gorilla Ducttape before and regretted it. I would recommend a zip tie or big metal clamp. You can choose to put the muffler at either end of the fan, I would suggest putting it between the filter and the fan.

R

Radio_Dread

really? so instead of having the muffler on the outside of the fan but it inside where the air is being pulled through it instead of being pushed?

S

sofakingg

cheap muffler

How about wrapping 1,or2 sleeping bags around the fan. I picked up a pair of sleeping bags for 30 bucks. Zipped em together,taped bag to fan, wrapped,taped end. You'll be amazed at the difference, for 30 bucks !

S

SkyHi

Yea i would have thought it was to quite down the exhausting stream?

Def attach it with aluminum tape. its like 20 bucks a roll but it holds well and is easily applied. I always use aluminum tape because any leaks in the seal and it whistles.

C

CAPO

Yea i would have thought it was to quite down the exhausting stream?

Def attach it with aluminum tape. its like 20 bucks a roll but it holds well and is easily applied. I always use aluminum tape because any leaks in the seal and it whistles.

That sounds like it would work better doesn't it with the muffler after the fan instead of in between filter and fan? You could attach it on the ground and see which you like better. One on both ends would be crazy quiet, but overkill. The whole idea comes from big vent hoods for kitchens. They first have the air pass through the muffler before it passes through the fan. So it makes perfect sense to place the muffler where the air is coming out. If you have insulated ducting I think it would matter less where you have it placed. Do me a favor and let me know which way works best for you.

R

Radio_Dread

well for a day it seems that infront of the exhuast fan. didnt make it as quite as i tho but i can run it at a higher speed. so i guess that wroks. one on each side would be killer tho.

Top Bottom