Dulce builds a compost pile

• Thread starter Dulce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dulce

So I was sitting around today, doing research on Compost & Manure Teas when it struck me.... I should go outside and build a Compost Pile RIGHT NOW!!! Seeing how it's a beautiful day right now, that's exactly what I did.

Now I'm not about to get into the benefits and uses for a compost pile, but if you are into Organic Gardening and growing, you'd be wise to do a bit of research here and on the web regarding the subject.

This thread is just to show how easy and practical it is for almost anybody to make one. Total work time- 45 mins.

Step 1- had some garden fence already available in my garage. It was 2ft x 15 ft. So I decided to cut two 7ft lengths so that I could stack the pieces and have a pile 4ft high.

Dulce builds a compost pile
Dulce builds a compost pile 2
D

Dulce

Next......

Step 2- I took the two lengths and fastened them together using zip ties.

Step 3- Took a thin piece of wire and cut into Four 4 inch lengths to secure the round shape.

PRESTO.....a compost pile :)

Moto 0041
Moto 0042
Moto 0043
Moto 0044
D

Dulce

Fill 'er up!!

Now for the good stuff.....filling it up.

I had a bucket with leaves and branches, a trash can full of lawn clippings, a stack of Junkmail, old fruit and veggies from the Fridge, and some old moldy oranges/leaves/weeds that I gathered from flower beds. So in it all went :)

Moto 0045
Moto 0048
Moto 0049
Moto 0051
Moto 0052
Moto 0050
D

Dulce

From what I've studied........

It is best to stack a compost pile in layers- usually with the bigger "chunks" on the bottom. This is to allow oxygen to penetrate the pile and supply the aerobic bacteria. So bush leaves and branches went first, followed by fruits and veggies, then shredded junk mail, followed by oranges and leaves from flower bed, and finally grass clippings. The grass clippings went last as it was the heaviest layer which served to compress the pile a bit and to help keep the heat and moister insulated.

Moto 0053
Moto 0054
Moto 0055
Moto 0056
Moto 0057
Moto 0059
D

Dulce

In between every layer I would spray my garden hose for just a few seconds to get everything wet before adding my new layer. I DID NOT SATURATE, just lightly wet. Once I had all my ingredients in, I gave one more spray and *drumroll*........... I was all done. Now time for Mother Nature to take over.

Again it literally only took me like 45 mins to get this going. IMO I think every marijuana grower that can should be making compost. Even if you run synthetics in a hydro system, the benefits of an aerated compost tea as a foliar spray alone make it worth your time :)

Peace and happy growing....

~D~

Moto 0061
Moto 0062
R

Rysam

I put everything in my pile, veggie scraps, lawn matter, that free newspaper that lives at the end of the driveway, hell i mow a 2 acre field with my lawnmower just to collect materials, post trim leaves and stems dont last long at all either. my big windrow pile is about 8x3x3 and just started a second pile while the first cooks.

the plants freaking love it as a base for their soil mix.

Giddeon

Giddeon

Dulce, I am fairly new to the composting crew and while I do not have a compost pile yet (been looking for best method for my needs), I do have a couple friends with a compost pile and while its cooking they stir the pile, just wondering if the stirring is good and second if so how do you stir your pile, does the cage allow for enough air so stirring is not needed???

D

Dulce

Cheyenne- Skunks are an issue sometimes around here, but my dogs usually keep them at bay. Thanks for stopping by :)

Rysam- Ha Ha!! The 3rd to last picture with the lawn clippings on the top of the pile also has that newspaper that lives at the end of the driveway in there :) Yes- everything is gonna go in and yes, plants LOVE a good compost mix.

Giddeon- The cage method I am using a great method for the first time composter. It takes very little space, keeps everything neatly inside and provides excellent aeration.
The method I am using is loosely based on a technique called a Thermophyllic (spelling?) Compost pile and with the air the cage provides, doesn't really need to be turned ever. However, to get everything to compost more evenly, I am gonna wait at least two weeks, until the pile really starts cooking. Then I simply untie the wire fasteners that hold the vertical seam of the cage together, pull the cage off from around the pile and set it right next to it. Re-fasten the cage and scoop the pile back into the cage- so that what was on top is now on the bottom and what was on the bottom is now on the top. I'll do this back and forth every couple of weeks as I keep adding stuff to the pile that way everything breaks down nice and evenly.
I'll add pics in a few weeks when I do my first turn.

~D~

Giddeon

Giddeon

Ah got ya I really like that the cage provides so much air to the pile I'm guessing that the decomposition is much faster because of that.

Giddeon

Giddeon

Dulce,
When using Compost tea as a foliar spray are there certain things you wanna put into your compost to ensure that your plants are getting the correct nutrients, and would you just start with a low dilution rate and build up to determine what the plants can handle?

Giddeon

Giddeon

Dulce,
When using Compost tea as a foliar spray are there certain things you wanna put into your compost to ensure that your plants are getting the correct nutrients, and would you just start with a low dilution rate and build up to determine what the plants can handle?

D

d_b

Hey Dulce,

A couple shovel scoops of plain ol' dirt will help as catalyst.

Like the cage.

D

Dulce

Giddeon- with Compost tea I've seen dilution rates of 1/5 tea to water all the way to full strength. I guess as with anything in this hobby, all variables such as strain, environment, etc,etc need to be taken into consideration. I am personally gonna start 50/50 and see where I can go from there.

d_B- Thanxs for the tip. Just added a layer of garden dirt right now. Thanks

~D~

Giddeon

Giddeon

How would you compare a compost foliar spray to like a store bought regimen like JACK uses?

D

Dulce

Hey Giddeon-
I am assuming you are speaking of JACKMAYOFFER's awesome threads. I went back and did a quick review over his threads and couldn't find his foliar schedule. That being said I'm sure it's top notch, but I am of the opinion that there is nothing that can compare to the fresh abundant beneficials that you can pull from fresh compost.
Also with fresh compost tea, I have yet to see anyone nuke a plant when using a reasonable amount, as opposed to the fear of overdosing I get when using ferts outta bottles. If anyone has nuked a plant using only compost tea I'd love to hear about it.

~D~

Giddeon

Giddeon

Hey Giddeon-
I am assuming you are speaking of JACKMAYOFFER's awesome threads. I went back and did a quick review over his threads and couldn't find his foliar schedule. That being said I'm sure it's top notch, but I am of the opinion that there is nothing that can compare to the fresh abundant beneficials that you can pull from fresh compost.
Also with fresh compost tea, I have yet to see anyone nuke a plant when using a reasonable amount, as opposed to the fear of overdosing I get when using ferts outta bottles. If anyone has nuked a plant using only compost tea I'd love to hear about it.

~D~
His foliar regimen is on page 25 post #248

hubcap

hubcap

this is way too late, but, if you bundle 2x4s together and stand them up in the middle of the composting pile, it allows more oxygen down into your lil critters and makes it a 'lil' easier to stir up by keeping the central mass broken up.

more people should be making and using these.

-cap

D

Dulce

Awww man- my emails on this thread have been getting sent to my spam folder!!!!!

Anyway.....

hubcap- great idea. I will go ahead and try your idea when I turn my pile in a couple days.

Giddeon- sorry bro I didn't get back to you sooner... probably too late now. But to answer your question: Jackmayoffer's foliar schedule seems like a high power nute boost that is balanced and timed to a specific point in the bloom phase for maximum effect. My reason for foliar feeding is primarily to build beneficials on the foliage to protect against molds, diseases and bugs. Nutrient delivery is secondary, as I do not use strong concentrations of the tea. Since i dilute about 50%, I can drench the plant without fear of burning it.

~D~

Top Bottom