Dumb question about when to pot

• Thread starter MGRox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

If anyone has seen my couple posts, I'm new to learning info online but have done the MG thing for a while. Most of what I did over the years was just "wing it". though I'm trying to get caught up on the right way to do things. Since I'm still not having any luck with my DTW and reading more I had a, sort of, dumb question.

Ok, in my past years, I always veg'ed with 6 oz cups for 4-6 weeks and then put those into 8" round (appx 1 gal) pots right when they went into blooming. My thoughts, back then, was that I had plenty of space for rooting while it flowered.

Recently I'm using the 1 liter airpots for veg and 3 liter pots for bloom, but have been still just "up-potting" when I put them into bloom.

However, from reading threads, I've seen some put a rooted cut straight into 5 gallon buckets and such.

So, should there be any room left for root growth when you go into bloom; or should it be pretty fully rooted?

thanks to any information that can be provided.

2hotmomma88

2hotmomma88

Im one of those wing it people too lol I guess it would depend on how big u want ur girls to get. I do know one thing it's hard af to repot a 5 gallon mini tree lol. Im thinking of taking my 1 litter and putting them into 10 gallon grow bags this time.

m8ty

m8ty

Yes a 6 ounce ounce cup is good for cracking seeds but don't keep them in that cup for six weeks, transplant them into a two liter container after they grow their set of true leaf's and transplant when the grow medium is dry.

Ambre

Ambre

I use cups, too, but I use the 16-oz size and I transplant into larger containers as soon as I see the first root come out the holes in the bottom. Leaving them in tiny containers for weeks is not good for them - they get rootbound, lower growth usually dies off, and you don't achieve their full potential.

The size of container needed for flowering is determined by your grow style. If you are growing SOG, you generally use small containers (maybe 1/2 gal). For larger (SCROG or LST) plants, you might want 1-4 gallon pots. For trees, you might want 8-10 gal pots. I usually use 1-3 gal pots (E&F LST is my normal method).

Anyway, I repot when I see roots coming out the bottom of the container.

indicabush

indicabush

Transplanting is one those touchy subjects, but it really depends on lighting and variety of cannabis being grown. Some growers will transplant 3 times others twice and I've known some not to transplant at all. Frankly I grow Indica which is primarily a short plant, so I use 16 oz solo cups for the first 2 weeks. Then transplant into 2 gallon grow bags for the duration of the growth. Lights for my grow are full spectrum LED's and I'm always satisfied with the outcome.

MGRox

MGRox

thanks to all the help, advice and tips!! That does help me got get an idea of when to re-pot and how long to leave a plant in one size.

Just to make sure I'm not getting this wrong though;

So, most people have the plant in its' final pot for a couple weeks before flower right? I'm trying to get an idea of optimal root mass at the point of flower for a given pot size. E.G, since I do the 1 gallons final; I want it to be decently rooted into this larger pot before flower? I had always been paranoid of not having enough root space during flower, but I wonder if having too little root mass for the pot size is worse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom