Durban Poison x Hash Plant Experiment

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Hey guys, this is my first real breeding project. Got a 2.5'x5' foot breeding tent coming in. Had some airflow questions on that. Ventilation? Circulation? Negative Pressure? I have a large male Hash Plant, grow from seed acquired from Sensi Seed bank in Amsterdam. This male plant is in a single DWC bucket, and has been chopped down to one shoot. It just started releasing pollen today. It is in another area from my grow area, but I was wondering about pollen contamination on clothes, shoes, etc. I try to only go in there if I am done with my girls for the day, and then wash my clothes and take a shower immediately after. I have to be honest, I've never "budded" out a male plant before, its amazing to see how fast it matured, only took 2 weeks on a strain whose females mature in 40 days! The female I am crossing with is a Durban Poison phenotype that has some purple hues to it's buds. It was acquired as a clone, and is usually ready in about 60 days. The flavor is classic Durban, with purple bud leaf tips and pinkish hairs. Hash Plant has always been one of my favorite strains, fruity skunky flavor, couch-lock indica high, done in 40 days, like clockwork, and a decent yielder. I'm hoping to create a cross that will infuse some of the lemony and spicy tones of the Durban with the fruit and skunkiness of the Hash Plant into a plant that matures in hopefully 45-50 days, and yields decently. My high preference tends to be more in the indica range (knock you out), but I love the tastes of well grown sativas, especially Chem Dawg strains, Kushes, and true Hazes, such as Amnesia. Anyway, not sure to what to do, since the male has pollen now, and the female is far from ready. The male got about 1 week head start on the durban girl. So may I introduce....
:character0111:

....The ODD Couple....
picture.php

Male Hash Plant pollen sacks
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fallen Pollen (it rhymes)
picture.php

picture.php

I like my males to have a thick and long, uh, stalk....
picture.php

Durban Poison Female Hairs
picture.php

picture.php

What'd ya think? Anyone want some of the beans when their done?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

The pollen sacks are really popping now. Just covered the main shoot with a clear bag to start to collect the pollen. Will probably leave it on there for the next week. I want to keep and store some of the pollen so I can cross it with others.

The value of healthy Hash Plant pollen is that Hash Plant is so fruity, resinous, and blooms in 40 days. Crossing it with anything will infuse some fruit and shorten the flower cycle, since both flavor/aroma and flowering period are considered traits with "shared dominance".

I just want to give away most of the beans to see what people think! I want feedback. The result will probably be more Durban tasting, since the Durban has the stronger and spicier taste. I'm curious to see how the buds look. It will end up finishing in the 50-55 day range.

Its funny, I've never fully grown out a male. Its amazing how majestic and mystical it looks in bloom!

The male is really really smelly and is already building trichomes on its flowers, as well. I know thats not really the best scientific gauge for a good male, but its damn sexy!

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, I'm confused. So far, I've taken Jorge Cervantes, DJ Short, and Ed Rosenthal's breeding advice. They all say to cover your main shoot on your male with a clear plastic bag and seal it off around the branch on the bottom. I did this yesterday. When I checked on "him" tonight, the bag was all full of humidity and condensation. Won't this condensation make the pollen inviable? How am I supposed to really collect a good amount of pollen?

I ripped the bag open so the plant could breath. I did have a leaf or 2 in there with the shoot in the bag. The condensation is obviously coming from the plant transpiring, which, to my understanding comes from the leaves, not the flowers. If I cover just the top of the shoot without any leaves in it, will this eliminate the condensation? Or should I just not bother and just wait till the pollen is really falling hard, and just collect some in intervals with a brown paper bag?

winta

winta

looks good my dude! maybe you should clip the sacks and then store the pollen til the durban is ready then get out ya paint brush :) cant wait to see this one!

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

New pics!

Here is our male HP in full bloom!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then we cut him down, harvested the pollen, sprayed down the girls, and moved 'em to a bloom tent, still under the T5 with mixed warm and cool spectrum bulbs.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The seed pods are getting nice and full. I will let her go until the seeds almost drop. Not sure yet if I want her under the T5 some more, or stick her under 1000W HPS. Summer is coming, and its been getting hot, so heat is an issue for me...

L

luvinlife

looks like a very cool project! nice pics of the babymaking process! lol Gonna be lookin forward to seein what comes of them.....

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I smoked a durban X hashplant. they called it "cave" here in denver. Not much of a smell (a slight anise dusty smell), not much to look at, not much flavor but it was really stoney. I think it wasn't grown well when I smoked it, I'm sure yours will come out better.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I smoked a durban X hashplant. they called it "cave" here in denver. Not much of a smell (a slight anise dusty smell), not much to look at, not much flavor but it was really stoney. I think it wasn't grown well when I smoked it, I'm sure yours will come out better.

Hey Mr. Sputnik. Which dispensary was it from, do you know? I'm up in Boulder myself...

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Yea, It was Herbal Wellness. That was probably 8 months ago, although it seeems like they still have it around. I've got some of reeferman's supreme hashplant too (pictured). I usually collect my pollen into a ramken (creme brule dish), sift it with a screen onto a piece of tile, scrape it up and put it into a salsa container in the fridge for a few days to let the moisture out, and then I freeze it.

Weed 001
Weed 002
winta

winta

lookin real good there green mofo! the begining of fire wow amazing :)

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

The first seed dropped on my pollenated Durban just now...Happy Day....its a new born, and born on 4/20, it must be good!

B

BlueWater

Nice. Always cool to see people breeding and experimenting/learning.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, I'm not superstitious or anything, but I keep getting good omens from this project. My first seed dropped on 4/20, and yesterday, I went to check on 'em, and look! A seed must of dropped and germinated in the soil without notice!

picture.php

picture.php

I immediately transplanted it into a RR plug, and its doing great!

So this is the start of the Durban Poison x Hash Plant cross! Soon I will also have East Coast Sour Diesel x Hash Plant cross. My plan is to get to an f2 of a [DurbanxHP]x[ECSDxHP]....

K

Kennie_B

That is really cool! After you pollinated how long did it take the first seed to drop?

frostymcfailure

frostymcfailure

i know an interested medical patient who'd give your beans a test in california!

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Updated Pics

Does this look ready to harvest for seed? Or let it go longer? Trichs are ready....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What do you think?

Latest posts

Top Bottom