dust shroom or not???

• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
burn4me

burn4me

ive just about completed my veg room. sat inside looking for light leaks. only 1. my passive intake. i used a 4" vent such as ones for dryers with the flaps. its letting on quite a bit of light. my question.....
should i suck it up and invest in dust shroom? or is there a cheaper alternative? i mean im going to have to have an intake filter, right? please help

i know dust shroom will do i just want opinions on a cheaper way to do this if possible

Last edited:
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
yes dust schroom is good idea. Cheaper alternative is to buy a hepa filter from hardware store and attach to end of duct. Hardware store also sell carbon lined dust filters for AC units.
Can make a box and attach to the inlet.
design the box is a manner that blocks the light.
Using 2 boxes, one is larger and then there is smaller offset box that blocks the light.

Make sense? If not can try and find a photo.
More options:
painting the inside of the duct black also helps to prevent reflecting light.
use 2 elbows before the dust schroom or hepa filter.
forming a shape kinda like a "S"
That way the light does not make it around the bend.

Here are links with photos of how growmaster did it with a tent.
Can do the same to block light and filter intake.
10X10 SOG Tentgrow
10X10 SOG Tentgrow

Hope that helps. If not ask.

burn4me

burn4me

i did think about elbows but wont that cause drag on my fan with it, hepa filter, and my original carbon filter? its only a 190 cfm.
and thanks bro. growmasters box is perfect but im not much for construction. getting what i do have done in my room has been hell.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
i did think about elbows but wont that cause drag on my fan with it, hepa filter, and my original carbon filter? its only a 190 cfm.
and thanks bro. growmasters box is perfect but im not much for construction. getting what i do have done in my room has been hell.
Welcome. Sometimes take some work and frustration to get to where you need to be.

yes it will reduce flow. Light leaks are unacceptable

Sometimes have to make changes because of un-forseen problems.Which may include maybe getting a larger fan. Gotta test and see what happens. Then make adjustments.

If you are not construction saavy or have tools, Still should be able to make what growmaster did with cardboard and duct tape. Can also buy plastic sheet, and cut and form with duct tape.

burn4me

burn4me

i think i got it. duct tape will play a major role! thinking of a Filtrete 16" x 25" x 1" household furnace/heater filter 1050 microns rolled off into a tube shape then duct tape the holy hell outta it. should have plenty of filter to go through so it wont clog up as fast. 190 cfm might be just enough if kept high. i hope....thanks again any other comments or suggestions would be fine by me

waayne

waayne

I like to use these filters for intakes

They will custom make them any size you want,they are inexpensive,and the orange coating contains a
anti-microbial coating

dustlokroll.jpg

The Fiberbond DUSTLOK ROLLS or PADS feature all the benefits of the Dustlok media. pads are pre-cut to your size specifications

burn4me

burn4me

I like to use these filters for intakes

They will custom make them any size you want,they are inexpensive,and the orange coating contains a
anti-microbial coating

dustlokroll.jpg

The Fiberbond DUSTLOK ROLLS or PADS feature all the benefits of the Dustlok media. pads are pre-cut to your size specifications
by any chance would you happen to know how much drag that would put on my fan?
i couldnt find any ordering info? i got to call them to find prices and order? thanks for any info.

waayne

waayne

You will need to call Fiberbond,
They will make them any size you want
I bought 50 14"x14" panels a couple of years ago for a little over $50.00

I would guess they restrict my fans by about 20-25%

burn4me

burn4me

reasonable price. and is that reduction on top of the drag from carbon scrubber?

J

Jalisco Kid

Duct tape will give a give presents you don't need. The heat and humidity will slowly cause it to come apart.It does last for awhile giving you a false sense of security. JK

burn4me

burn4me

Duct tape will give a give presents you don't need. The heat and humidity will slowly cause it to come apart.It does last for awhile giving you a false sense of security. JK
even if its on the outside of my room? and i plan to have to change it out from time to time.

J

Jalisco Kid

It is a better environment then inside. I am guessing it is a short run to your tent. I would up grade your fan and install some sweeping 90* elbows. 300mph tape is a temp fix,works if you are a temp grower,I guess. JK

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Not all duct tape is equal.

do not get duct tape from the dollar store. buy a product built to last.

One example: 3m professional hvac duct tape is rated to 200f.

burn4me

burn4me

It is a better environment then inside. I am guessing it is a short run to your tent. I would up grade your fan and install some sweeping 90* elbows. 300mph tape is a temp fix,works if you are a temp grower,I guess. JK
this is a closet grow. and its only a veg section. i will be flowering in a 600w HPS grow tent.:) do you think my 190 cfm fan will do for a short while? at least a month or two to get funds for a bigger fan and shroom cap.the room is 3x5x8. i want to get this going to have a perpetual grow. it is my first grow though so im trying to be thorough in how i set up to be able to have as much control as possible. i thought light leak from intake was my only problem but now i may need to upgrade my fan. :banghead:
Not all duct tape is equal.

do not get duct tape from the dollar store. buy a product built to last.

One example: 3m professional hvac duct tape is rated to 200f.
i have 4 rolls of gorilla glue tape;)

Top Bottom