Dutch Treat (or Likely Dutch Treat Haze)

• Thread starter StickyBiz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StickyBiz

StickyBiz

About a year ago I heard of this local cut that produce in the mid 25% THC. Last fall, I needed some clones and spent a couple weeks looking. When I found a clone grower out of Tacoma WA area with some extra Dutch Treat and Jack Herer I arranged for a meet up in Lakewood to get them. The man said the DT was his highest THC plant, said someone was getting in the 25% THC range. I got the Dutch Treat and Jack Herer from him. (I lost his number when my weed phone feel in the drink.) So I had these clones, then it turned out I didn't really need them. But I kept them anyway through the winter as I kept researching along on the Dutch Treat local stuff and there is tested product out Analytical 360 this year that has the dried flowers well over 25% and even low 30% THC. Go ahead and google the Analytical 360 Dutch Treat and you'll see what I am talking about.

It was time to grow a few out. I kept a mom of each, and put four DT and one JH into flower. All total there are seven plants under 3600 watts. The other two are Sensi Star and Original Amnesia.

It's at day 21 into observed flowering and the DT has stretched crazy. A one foot well branched plant is now at five foot above the pot. The color is light green, obviously a sativa dominate plant and frankly shows no sign of slowing down. There is another three feet to work with above but holy cow that's just crazy tall. Given what I am observing, it really appears this cut is a Dutch Treat Haze.

If you have some information on this cut, please share it. If I get a successful finish on this plant she will get tested.

Last edited:
Punisher24

Punisher24

It sounds like the same cut I have. It stretches crazy, but does produce well . She can be a heavy feeder as well. From what I understand it's 80% Indica and 20% Sativa. I have been growing this strain for awhile now and usually run her to around 65 days but recently pushed to 70. She does look Sativa when growing but when smoking it's an initial uppity high and then a nice relaxation after that lasts. Def one that stays in the stable. Just make sure you have the room to grow her ;).

Punisher24

Punisher24

Some info I found on another forum..

Here's what I know directly from the source...
The original seed breeder is from Jordan of the Islands seed company off Vancouver Island. They have produced some major strains in recent past (Gods Bud, God's Treat "dutch x gods", the original BC Big Bud, etc..) Most websites that talk about Jordan of the Islands have the following description...

The Dutch Treat seeds were smuggled into Bellingham and passed around to a few friends about 4-5 years ago. It is a 8-9 week strain and grows like a Sativa, thin leaves and a super viney plant that needs lots of supports to grow. It even falls over with no buds on it so prepare to net it up if you grow this strain. It can also benefit from adding Silica based nutrients to help make it more sturdy. Newbie growers might be discouraged at first until they learn how to tame this plant and get it under control. It starts out slow, but the last two weeks of bud time will really swell and explode in crystals.

The Dutch Treat #5 plant is named simply because the #5 clone was picked as one of the best of 10 seeds. People rave about the all around good characteristics of this plant, it grows fast, and produces huge weight and is super easy to trim it as there is mostly just bud with very little leaf material. It is one of the frostiest plants i have ever seen in my 25 years of smoking. Some friends have gotten over 3lb per 1000 watt light but on average you will easily get 1.5 per 1000 watt if you veg the plant for at least two months.

Dutch Treat #5 has been through two THC testing facilities, one test produced 24% THC and the other was 18%, so on average you can expect around 20%. It took third place in a recent San Francisco Cannabis Cup and has won many local competitions in recent past years. Today, many people are starting to cross bread this version of Dutch Treat with other popular strains. So far, it has been crossed with a Hawaiian sativa and called (HD) "High Definition", it was crossed with Sour Diesel plant and called "Diesel Treat" and it was crossed with The Cough, A.K.A Electric Haze (Northern Lights #5 x Haze #1) which is being called "Electric Treat".

Most people's comments are that they have never seen anything like the Dutch Treat. There are older strains that are called Dutch Treat that look nothing like this plant. Perhaps this specific plant was mislabeled at the seed company or it is a unique West Coast hybrid of older Dutch Treat. We'll have to ask "Jordan of the islands" for a true history of the genetics of this plant since he describes the plant as a short stalky plant which is nothing of the sort. Because of the name confusion to older varieties of Dutch Treat, some people call this strain '"Dutch Crunch" or "Dutch Dragon". Because it started in the NW area, there are plenty of dispensaries that carry it locally, but in California, there is a high demand for this variety and it commands a premium in some areas.

I would agree with some of the comments here that it has a bit of fuel like smell but most people I hear claim it to have a kind of nutty citrus skunk smell. For a plant that looks so much like a Sativa plant, its smoke seems more hard hitting like an Indica. Usually you are stoned for a good two hours with this stuff and it really hits you hard in the head after a few tokes. Once a smoker gets a hold of this strain, they will request it over and over and over as I have seen so many friends claim it to be their all time favorite.

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

Thanks Punisher24! It sounds like the same cut. At day 21, the largest plant is using 1.2 gallons of feeding per day. I hand water and she has been sucking down that much for a week now. She has the size to be a 2lb producer. She started topped and pruned down to one foot as she had vegged several months. Her stem was maybe pencil thick, right now it is 1 3/4 diameter.

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

20150516 214833
20150516 214846

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

Since this is a grow thread, I need to post how these DT are raised. Clones get well established in 3.5 " squares and then are moved up to 3 gallon narrow and tall pots where they are pruned/topped/trained. Potting mix is Sunshine #4 with high aggregate. They get vegged under 400hps vertical. Water is from the well, soft and 6.8ph. Feed is in every watering and it's 50ml of Dyna Grow 7-9-5 into 5 gallons water along with 1/2 tsp of Hygrozyme. I hand water and amount is based on what the plant uses. The feeding doesn't change until the start of 4th week of flower. When the plants get moved into the flower room, the 3 gallon pots are nested into 7 gallon pots full of the potting mix. Watering always goes into the 3 gallon pot. The drain holes in the 3 gallon pot are enlarged, plus a center hole, and the roots chase the water down into the 7 gallon pot. Air gets pulled down well into the lower pot as there is a 3 inch circle of exposed dry potting mix around the nested 3 gallon pot--it's like a vent on a plumbing system. At week 4, the 7-9-5 gets lowered to 40ml, 15ml cal/mag is added as well as 4tbsp of pulverized bat guano to the 5 gallons of water. Water daily in flower. The 7-9-5 gets lowered each week and is gone by 8th week. Lighting is 1 horizontal 1000 up high, 2 vertical 1000 and 1 vertical 600. Air flow is high, 1 24inch polar air fan exhaust up high and 1 4inch inline duct fan pulling through a carbon can. There is a box fan at floor to stir it up. Ceiling height is 10 foot.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

There's also a Hawaiian Dutch that is going around that area also.
The HD I spread around that area stretches like crazy. No scrog can hold her down. She will push them around like nothing. Sounds like you might have the HD.
Did you pick it up off from someone on NWgrowlink?

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

When I was asking around for the local DT I heard about the man I got the clones from. I was told to look for him on CL as when he had extra that's where he went but other than that his stuff was hard to get as he had full repeat business. When we met up, we talked shop for a good half hour and he truly knew his trade. I can find him again but that won't answer my question as he called the strain Dutch Treat and he got it as a clone. I don't doubt it's the plant that is loading up the dispensaries with 25-32% THC bud. I just don't think it is a 80-20 indica f1 hybrid. Looking at the terpene results on Analytical 360 I see nothing but sativa. As noted before the breeder, Jordan of the Islands, says the Dutch Treat is a typical indica, squat bush plant. So, my best guess is either it is Dutch Treat f2 or more with selection on a rare sativa pheno or it's a cross with a hybrid of the same breeding as DT but showing the sativa as the final strain expression.
It looks to me like the same plant as Punisher24's.

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

Those are tonight's pics, headed into week 5, day 30. The second collage is the other girls in with the DT.

Scent report: DT is light fuel, JH is spices, OA is heavy fuel, SS is floral/bubblegum

Last edited:
StickyBiz

StickyBiz

This story is going to have an epilogue. When I trimmed these up I found a couple nanners and three seeds, so I popped them. There were other strains in the room but only these three seeds that were deep inside on lower nugs and the nanners were on the nugs with seeds, so best guess is these are selfies. The three are headed into flower now, they show a much more indica style growth, took cuts of each and they rooted good.

str8smokn

str8smokn

This story is going to have an epilogue. When I trimmed these up I found a couple nanners and three seeds, so I popped them. There were other strains in the room but only these three seeds that were deep inside on lower nugs and the nanners were on the nugs with seeds, so best guess is these are selfies. The three are headed into flower now, they show a much more indica style growth, took cuts of each and they rooted good.

I thought plants that selfed -themselves ,the seeds would be hermies. I took it as any other plants in the room that were pollenated would produce female seeds .
I'm not sure,it's kind of grey on here.different answers.
Good luck with them though.
STR8

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

STR8,
I hand water and these seeds were down in the "splash" zone. I take that as a possible stressor that caused the female pollen nanners. In two subsequent runs of this plant there hasn't been any signs of female pollen or seeds. From what I can gather from reading up on the topic is all cannabis has the ability to self pollinate. The ones we call hermies just don't need the stress to do it. My guess is a plant from a true selfie seed might have a stronger ability to self but I also think probably every plant at some spot in their history came thru a selfie seed. Anyway, I popped these to just see what would be shown, I really don't think there will be anything super special but one doesn't kgnow unless they give them a chance! (Then of course after smoking her and drinking some wine I start thinking the Ganja God dropped them off because she knew I would pop them and check them out ;) )

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

FidelCastro,

I think the smoke is balanced between Indica and Sativa. There isn't couch lock and there is enough uplift to call it an afternoon to evening smoke. People ask for it again, in fact get rather demanding about it, and they really don't know the analytics of the Dutch Treat.

Top Bottom