Dwc- Beneficial Bacteria Or Sterile System???

• Thread starter LacesOutDan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LacesOutDan

So everything is coming along nicely with my 5gal dwc setup, got my water temps down and added a little h2O2 to the system and all is well,(no nutrients at all only h2O and a little H2O2.) but now that the roots are starting to come out of the net pots, the leaves are starting to turn yellow(nutrient deficiency I'm guessing) I'm torn on wether I should introduce beneficial bacteria or leave just keep the system sterile when i add nutes. Please correct me if any of this is wrong;

From what i have learned about a sterile system is that its more work and uses more nutrients since you have to change out your solution more often, need to test more often, make sure everything is totally sterile EVERY TIME, just more work in general.

From what I have gathered so far, it seems like the greatest benefit of bennies is the fact that the system is "stable" and you don't have to change your solution as much or maybe not at all (?)

Using bennies-
Is there any advantage as far as potency or quality of the bud??
Is there any advantage as far as the overall health of the plant??

Things to keep in mind;
1- Im a complete newb to hydroponic, first try
2- Using bagseed for my first run, just to see if i can keep em alive and tell when they need what.
3- I am currently running a STERILE system and have NO nutrients in the system. H2O and H2O2.

V

vek11

Benes are not needed in a dwc environment but can be used to create an environment conducive of good and the bad aerobic anaerobic! If your able to maintain 64° to 68° your soup will stay very stable!

CannaTech

CannaTech

Do not waste your time and money trying to maintain a sterile environment. Running bennies is about the only way to go now-adays.
Get some bennie packs from here: http://ogbiowar.com/
Read this: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...he-nute-pack-root-pack-and-foliar-pack.60619/

Also, Are you running RO or Tap water??????????????
a Chiller?
AIR PUMP!?!?
Nutes?

Saying that bennies are not needed in DWC is like saying bennies are not needed at all...You can live without bennies when you are using a chiller and not using things like molasses but why would you?
Even with proper res temps, pytherium is not impossible to get, although very unlikely.
When trying to run a sterile setup, your goals are to keep organic components out of your res that could break down and breed anaerobic bacteria when not supplied with enough DO. Well, eventually things happen, chunks of root break off and get stuck and breed bacteria.
H2o2 breaks down in about 2-3 days so has to be re-introduced to the res at regular rates. Even then the H202 does not sterilize the res 100% after an infection. It can control an outbreak, but it will not solve your problem. You will spend much of your time battling the res trying to keep it sterile.
It took me several years to move from a "sterile" res to a bennie res. The final straw was fighting Rot last year. brand new built system I started against my better judgement without a chiller. Temps sat at like 72-75 with lights on. well sure enough shit happened rot developed in some young plants probably about 5-7 weeks old from cut I tried 5 different products to get rid of it with little to no success. Then I said fuck it and brewed a vermi tea which only contained about 1/50th of the shit that CAP puts in his spore packs. Needless to say problem solved.

So.. Yeah, Bennies are not needed in an DWC, but why not? brewing teas is a hell of a lot easier than treating and cleaning a res repeatedly. Most here will tell you the same.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/root-rot.72693/#post-1451047
Read that and read my demeanor then, now look at what I am doing, telling you to use bennies.....In other words do as i say not as i did! ;)

UCROOTS Actinovate and other products work, but trying to kill a active colony of bacteria that has no competition is a lose lose battle. Brew the teas, It will give you a happier plant and a you will typically encounter less issues.(That being said I had several years of successful sterile DWC/RDWC runs.) Also, if you do not have a chiller its the ONLY way to go.

L

LacesOutDan

Do not waste your time and money trying to maintain a sterile environment. Running bennies is about the only way to go now-adays.
Get some bennie packs from here: http://ogbiowar.com/
Read this: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...he-nute-pack-root-pack-and-foliar-pack.60619/

Also, Are you running RO or Tap water??????????????
a Chiller?
AIR PUMP!?!?
Nutes?

Saying that bennies are not needed in DWC is like saying bennies are not needed at all...You can live without bennies when you are using a chiller and not using things like molasses but why would you?
Even with proper res temps, pytherium is not impossible to get, although very unlikely.
When trying to run a sterile setup, your goals are to keep organic components out of your res that could break down and breed anaerobic bacteria when not supplied with enough DO. Well, eventually things happen, chunks of root break off and get stuck and breed bacteria.
H2o2 breaks down in about 2-3 days so has to be re-introduced to the res at regular rates. Even then the H202 does not sterilize the res 100% after an infection. It can control an outbreak, but it will not solve your problem. You will spend much of your time battling the res trying to keep it sterile.
It took me several years to move from a "sterile" res to a bennie res. The final straw was fighting Rot last year. brand new built system I started against my better judgement without a chiller. Temps sat at like 72-75 with lights on. well sure enough shit happened rot developed in some young plants probably about 5-7 weeks old from cut I tried 5 different products to get rid of it with little to no success. Then I said fuck it and brewed a vermi tea which only contained about 1/50th of the shit that CAP puts in his spore packs. Needless to say problem solved.

So.. Yeah, Bennies are not needed in an DWC, but why not? brewing teas is a hell of a lot easier than treating and cleaning a res repeatedly. Most here will tell you the same.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/root-rot.72693/#post-1451047
Read that and read my demeanor then, now look at what I am doing, telling you to use bennies.....In other words do as i say not as i did! ;)

UCROOTS Actinovate and other products work, but trying to kill a active colony of bacteria that has no competition is a lose lose battle. Brew the teas, It will give you a happier plant and a you will typically encounter less issues.(That being said I had several years of successful sterile DWC/RDWC runs.) Also, if you do not have a chiller its the ONLY way to go.

Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for!
-I'm running tap water and thinking of changing over to spring water.
-I'm almost certain that my pump/stones are sufficient, water looks like a rolling boil, plenty of mist on the net pots.
-Just introduced GH flora series, 1/2 recommended strength.
-Res temps are between 63-68 with no chiller, I plan to keep the room cool enough through the winter so that o don't have to buy a chiller.

So I guess my next question is; Anyone know of "pre brewed" teas?

I found one that's called "killer tea" and can't find any reviews on it?

I live in a pretty remote/secluded area, it takes an hour to get to the grocery store, Walmart, ect. so I just want to buy something pre made to keep me from having to run around all over the place looking for ingredients that I know nothing about! (Yet!)

Thanks for your help!

uns420

uns420

for a home brew tea i fill a small mesh bag with ewc/humus any brand. . then in one gallon of water i put 15ml aqua shield, 1/4 tsp mycos any brand, 1/2 table spoon of unsulfered molasses. Add the tied up bag and plenty of air to water and brew for 48 hours. I use 1 cup per 10 gal of nute solution and add a half cup around the base of each plant every three days. Change my res every seven days. If you dont want to brew your own tea skunk labs has a good tea i have had great success with

CannaTech

CannaTech

UNS420 just gave you the most used basic tea around. it is the starter tea for a lot of people and has good results. You will find many versions of this same thing over and over again.

Here are some others:
Props to Didde for this link : http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

Microbemans website: http://www.microbeorganics.com/

And of course CAPS threads:

As far as Pre-Brewed goes. I have some Worm Cocktail that has worked but its a waste of money.
I would suggest getting a 20-25 Gallon black walled garbage can (round works best for water storage)
lift it up with something like a milk crate so you can utilize a gravity drain and use a AP60 or so Air pump to pack it full of O2.

You take the shit put it in a mesh bag and drop it in water, let it BREW for 24/48 hours and then you have your first tea. You then can culture and feed that tea with more molasses and other things to keep your tea alive and not have to re-brew.
Then essentially what you are doing it taking a few cups of your tea and diluting it down into a 5 gallon bucket and feeding with that.
I am not fully aware of the tea culturing process and keeing a tea alive over periods of time, someone with more info please chime in and correct any miss-information.

Also Check out the DIY Vortex. Its a 200+ dollar tea brewer but it will last you a lifetime if it is kept in good conditions. I think Oscar made one not too long ago so search the forums for it.

L

LacesOutDan

for a home brew tea i fill a small mesh bag with ewc/humus any brand. . then in one gallon of water i put 15ml aqua shield, 1/4 tsp mycos any brand, 1/2 table spoon of unsulfered molasses. Add the tied up bag and plenty of air to water and brew for 48 hours. I use 1 cup per 10 gal of nute solution and add a half cup around the base of each plant every three days. Change my res every seven days. If you dont want to brew your own tea skunk labs has a good tea i have had great success with

UNS420 just gave you the most used basic tea around. it is the starter tea for a lot of people and has good results. You will find many versions of this same thing over and over again.

Here are some others:
Props to Didde for this link : http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

Microbemans website: http://www.microbeorganics.com/

And of course CAPS threads:

As far as Pre-Brewed goes. I have some Worm Cocktail that has worked but its a waste of money.
I would suggest getting a 20-25 Gallon black walled garbage can (round works best for water storage)
lift it up with something like a milk crate so you can utilize a gravity drain and use a AP60 or so Air pump to pack it full of O2.

You take the shit put it in a mesh bag and drop it in water, let it BREW for 24/48 hours and then you have your first tea. You then can culture and feed that tea with more molasses and other things to keep your tea alive and not have to re-brew.
Then essentially what you are doing it taking a few cups of your tea and diluting it down into a 5 gallon bucket and feeding with that.
I am not fully aware of the tea culturing process and keeing a tea alive over periods of time, someone with more info please chime in and correct any miss-information.

Also Check out the DIY Vortex. Its a 200+ dollar tea brewer but it will last you a lifetime if it is kept in good conditions. I think Oscar made one not too long ago so search the forums for it.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!! I'm slowly learning the process and think I've almost got my head wrapped around it all, but still a lot to learn. Thanks for saving me weeks of time researching!!

Theassbandit

Theassbandit

I tried these two things recommended to me by my hydro store.. The pic explains the rest.

1458018514143 1627549470
Theassbandit

Theassbandit

in a last ditch effort to save a plant before living long enough get to mature. I brewed these for 24/48 hours (for my soil based plants.) chuckled and dump a lil in my dying dwc....

1458018617481 1300845467
Theassbandit

Theassbandit

It lived... For the first time. The brown you see is the chunks of buffalo shit.

1458018888241 1855864142
Theassbandit

Theassbandit

I'm using flora Nova... My next hydro bites will be the GH 3part flora (microgrow and bloom) I want better but thank god they are alive.

My first hydro is 5 days in and stretching like hell but over all good. Wish me luck wit dis bitch.
I will post a pic of her tomorrow when she wakes up

uns420

uns420

I tried these two things recommended to me by my hydro store.. The pic explains the rest.

I use h2o2 at the end of my cycle to clean everything. A lot of people say it's a bad Idea but I bleach my pumps every cycle as well and let them air dry for 36-48 hours and flush them.
The people at the hydro store just want to sell you sh it, in most of them I've been in anyways. Try the recipe I put up, I noticed I left out I use 1 cup humus and ewc. 1/4 ewc 3/4 humus. It will kill root rot and keep roots healthy if you don't want to run a chiller.

Twistedrizla

Twistedrizla

I'm using flora Nova... My next hydro bites will be the GH 3part flora (microgrow and bloom) I want better but thank god they are alive.

My first hydro is 5 days in and stretching like hell but over all good. Wish me luck wit dis bitch.
I will post a pic of her tomorrow when she wakes up
Did you make a youtube vid?

Top Bottom