Dwc/drip System Question

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Junk

Junk

What you explain is basically what i got it's just a home built version. I have a 400gph pump recirculating but they're really not dripers they're sprayers. I do have stones or curtains in every bucket, the question was just a question.

My plan for my next grow is to get a high pressure pump and switch my setup to an true aeroponics system. I have everything I need besides the pump and some pressure valves. I wanted to go simple, DWC, before I went all the way to the aero setup.

Mine is home built as well. Nothing wrong with that. I'm proud of mine : )

I see @ the air stones. Yeah, it's just bc it's DWC, the roots will be sitting in the solution. They will drown w/o O2. But the other benefit of DWC is that you can super aerate the roots with 02, which is what they want. So we give them plenty.

The thing with drippers is that they clog and you aren't recirculating the solution very much. I would imagine sprayers are the same. A wide open top feed for this type of situation is best imo, or something with some flow. After the plants have legs, set the recirc pump to kick on every 4 hours for 15 minutes or whatever is needed to change over the solution. Even during lights out, that way the solution is churning. If you have a true 400 gph pump, that would run 20gph octa-bubblers to capacity (or two). Some of the adjustables say they are 400, but they aren't even close. You can order caps for the unused octa-bubbler outputs. Or you can just connect the unused barbs with tubing. You don't have to use the flora-flex trays...I just like them. But you could run the tubing right into the hydraton or whatever and stake it in place. Or put a T-fitting on the ends and bury them a little. Just make sure they aren't going to fall out bc that will ruin your day. The Octabubblers are cool bc you know what the flow coming out is...you don't have to guess at your numbers. But I would run the Octa-bubbler straight into the buckets vs drippers/sprayers. You can get the 10 gph octa-bubbler, and if the flow isn't right, remove the rubber ring and it's more like the 20 gph.

Fwiw, DWC > Aeroponics imo.

S

Shawnery

Fwiw, DWC > Aeroponics imo.

I will be the first to admit I know less than you and far less experience than most on here but I'm not sure about this specific statement?

From all the research of done over the past 3 months the overwhelming opinion is that, all things being equal, aeroponics is the apex of hydroponic grow systems.

The idea being that the extremely fine micron size of "real" aeroponics water molecules allows for the superior absorption of both water, oxygen and nutrients.

It is from my understanding the most difficult of all the hydroponic systems to run and maintain but the yield is supposed to be ridonculous.

It's very likely that I am way off and I'm sure someone, 3, 2, 1, will inform me soon of my ignorance either way.

Junk

Junk

I will be the first to admit I know less than you and far less experience than most on here

Don't sell yourself short, there are thousands of people on forums who don't know anything at all.

From all the research of done over the past 3 months the overwhelming opinion is that, all things being equal, aeroponics is the apex of hydroponic grow systems.
Different strokes. I'm just giving you my opinion. Dealing with sprayers and drippers gets old quick. But some people enjoy the meticulous and tedious nature of maintaining them. I understand that sentiment. It's like me maintaining my car. To others it would be a chore. For me, the maintenance is enjoyable.

The idea being that the extremely fine micron size of "real" aeroponics water molecules allows for the superior absorption of both water, oxygen and nutrients.
Maybe. Aero's are a pain to maintain from what I've seen. The growers that I know using it are doing so bc they can't do RDWC. You can do a self contained aero in an apartment and put 4 plants in it. No chance of leaking, and more plants than a single DWC bucket. It's a nice system and has it's uses.

It is from my understanding the most difficult of all the hydroponic systems to run and maintain but the yield is supposed to be ridonculous.
I've not seen anything yield higher than RDWC and aero's are a pain. Imo RDWC to aero is a step backwards in yield and ease. But it takes all types. If you want to grow aero have at it. Knowledge and experience are worth the exercise.

Top Bottom