DWC Hydro root rot? Thoughts?

• Thread starter natedowg2000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

natedowg2000

I beleive my plant has root rot, I'd say this one is in late flowering but probably had some ways to go yet, most trichromes are not yet cloudy. 2 of the 4 plants grew too tall and I didn't switch them soon enough so they definitely have heat stress. I have a few questions below.

Dwc hydropontic system (I'm switching to RDWC once this harvest is done).

1.)Does it look like root rot to you?
(water intake has reduced drastically, fast wilting, ph keeps climbing at ridiculous rates.)

2.) Should I just harvest?

3.) Should try and treat?

4.)If I try to treat will that put the buds at risk?

Dwc hydro root rot thoughts
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 2
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 3
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 4
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 5
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 6
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 7
Dwc hydro root rot thoughts 8
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Are the roots slimy and stink? Doesn’t look like root rot to me. When I’ve seen it it’s darker and slimy looking. Your coloration could be staining from nutrients. It does look like they could use more oxygen. What size air pump are you using and are the air stones clogged or restricted? What ppm/ec and ph are you running?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Also are you using any beneficial bacteria? Reservoir temps?

N

natedowg2000

Are the roots slimy and stink? Doesn’t look like root rot to me. When I’ve seen it it’s darker and slimy looking. Your coloration could be staining from nutrients. It does look like they could use more oxygen. What size air pump are you using and are the air stones clogged or restricted? What ppm/ec and ph are you running?
They are slimy and alot more brown in person those photos make them look alot more white, they're starting to get a smell.

The previous air stones were clogged so I have replaced those (when I posted),
25L/min air pump
PH I keep adjusting to 6.0 but it raises within an hour to 8.0
Both ppm and ec ridiculously high 1800ppm and 4ms/cm

I have no good way to flush the existing buckets at this stage.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Sounds like root rot. The infection will raise the ph. Aquaman did a thread a couple years ago about curing it. Check that out for sure. I’d use pool shock for a couple days then rinse everything as best you can and then use his method. I can’t remember the amount per gal for shock but there’s lots of info out there about that. It important to treat the clay pebbles, lid basket, everything. Even after you think it’s cured keep running the southern ag garden friendly fungicide at 2x the recommended amount. That shit has a way of coming back

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

to clean and rinse a res put the plant into a clean empty bucket while you rince or just swap out the bucket buckets
I’d get those ppms down. just add plain water. You can use a pump or even a shop vac to take some solution out if needed
Also I’d add a teaspoon of bleach to the affected plants and adjust ph now. I’m surprised the sick plants aren’t deteriorating rapidly.

N

natedowg2000

to clean and rinse a res put the plant into a clean empty bucket while you rince or just swap out the bucket buckets
I’d get those ppms down. just add plain water. You can use a pump or even a shop vac to take some solution out if needed
Also I’d add a teaspoon of bleach to the affected plants and adjust ph now. I’m surprised the sick plants aren’t deteriorating rapidly.
Oh they are. Would It be best just to harvest?

20240428 131718
20240428 131715
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I’d try to limp them along as long as possible. At least until they’re mostly cloudy if you can. A cap full of bleach every other day should get you there. Bleach wont hurt your buds taste or flavor at all. Be careful not to infect your other plants. When you go to change the res or whatever take care of the uninfected plants first then the sick ones, wash your hands after, careful of splashing etc.
Root rot in your first grow really sucks man.
Next time use beneficial bacteria or and put multiple air stones per rez. After this run clean everything inside and out with 10% bleach water, throw out you old air stones and lines. I’d do another run in dwc before going to rdwc to make sure the infection is completely gone. Like I said it has a way of coming back and you don’t want to infect every plant in the system.
It may not feel like it now but you’re doing a great job the two that aren’t infected look great for a first hydro grow much less first ever grow.

Last edited:
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Looks like you have at least 2 weeks to go probably 3.
What nutrients are you using?

N

natedowg2000

I’d try to limp them along as long as possible. At least until they’re mostly cloudy if you can. A cap full of bleach every other day should get you there. Bleach wont hurt your buds taste or flavor at all. Be careful not to infect your other plants. When you go to change the res or whatever take care of the uninfected plants first then the sick ones, wash your hands after, careful of splashing etc.
Root rot in your first grow really sucks man.
Next time use beneficial bacteria or and put multiple air stones per rez. After this run clean everything inside and out with 10% bleach water, throw out you old air stones and lines. I’d do another run in dwc before going to rdwc to make sure the infection is completely gone. Like I said it has a way of coming back and you don’t want to infect every plant in the system.
It may not feel like it now but you’re doing a great job the two that aren’t infected look great for a first hydro grow much less first ever grow.
Thanks for the help/advice, and that's good to hear I had some issues in the beginning that stunted the growth on the left 2 so I tried extending veg and let the right 2 grow wayyy too tall. It's been a learning experience and I will say I went into it not expecting much.

Bumslayer3700

Bumslayer3700

I had the same problem with fox farm dirty dozen fertilizers. I switched to general hydroponics and I don’t have that problem. I stared 5 in December, the slimy junk choked out the roots and it was evident what it was but I couldn’t figure out why. Separate containers but the stuff just bounced from one to another I have 1 plant left due to the sludge, I switched the solution when it was on its last leg. The room temp, same water source same everything less work, just a new fertilizer. I didn’t know what I was doing, since my first grow but I’ve learned a lot in the last few months.

Top Bottom