DWC - MaxiSeries w/Koolbllom - Jacks 321 or Kelp4less?

• Thread starter Thegreywizard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

So I'm making the venture into DWC and wanted to go with as much dry nutrients/salts as possible.

Someone told me about Jacks 321 and then I found GH MaxiSeries with their liquid & dry koolbloom

But then I was reading on this site and found kelp4less.com and really impressed by the products they offer and their prices.

So what's a better dry base to use?

I can basically get the MaxiGrow & Bloom for free, so that has me leaning towards that. At least for this first run.

But I know Jacks is stupid cheap, like $30 for a 6lb pack

Isn't there a different version of Jacks for cannabis though?

Kelp for less seems to offer a Hydro Grow & Bloom pack that is a Part A base and then Part B is the Cal/Mag

So are they just selling Jacks basically or is it something else?

Even if I went with Jacks, Kelp4less has a ton of dry nutes I want like Silica, Fulvic Acid, Kelp etc. So I would be adding a lot of their products regardless.

Just not sure if I should go with their Hydro blend over Jacks

Or MaxiSeries over both of them?

When it comes to the MaxiBloom, can you run the dry Koolbloom at the same time as the PK booster, or would I stop using the MaxiBloom when I started using the dry Koolbloom?

Ponky

Ponky

Maxigrow and maxibloom are the base nutirent. And Kool Bloom powder is a supplement for it. You add it during flowering for whichever weeks you like to use it. I add the maxibloom after the Silica. Then the Kool bloom powder. Then if needed. Cal mag.. It's cheap in 7 kg tubs. Really cheap.
The water I first ph. Aerate and then PH again. I also occasionally use epsom salt.

Tented

Tented

I'm using jack's and am liking it so far. They have 4 versions for cannabis. RO, Tap, outdoor and 321. They also have a starter, booster and ripen addon. I'm using the RO one. Jacks has 25 lb bags that are the cheapest way to go with them. Some of them can be found on amazon with free shipping if a prime member. Ordering from Jack's you pay shipping and the same costs about as at amazon. It's still cheap even after shipping.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
If free is an option, then run with it. Anything that helps cost. Many grow extremely well with either of those line ups. I run RAW silica, Jacks base, cal/nit, Epsom, CleanKelp, Flower Fuel for booster, and powdered fulvic that I pre-mix. Last photo indoor grow was 1 plant, 2.1lbs, 5 months seed to harvest.

farmer219

farmer219

If free is an option, then run with it. Anything that helps cost. Many grow extremely well with either of those line ups. I run RAW silica, Jacks base, cal/nit, Epsom, CleanKelp, Flower Fuel for booster, and powdered fulvic that I pre-mix. Last photo indoor grow was 1 plant, 2.1lbs, 5 months seed to harvest.
Not to take away from this post but did u get any slime with the fulvic or cleankelp?

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Not to take away from this post but did u get any slime with the fulvic or cleankelp?.
On this run in RDWC. I would give the res. a dose of fulvic and kelp mixed in plain pH'd water. Run that for 2-4 days then do a full water change at my 2 week interval. But last grow I used the Kelp throughout most of grow, at a 1/4 -1/2 strength, no fulvic.
No issues to date. Just some root staining.

And asking a question is never taking away from anything. That's why we are all here.

Question, Learn, Grow, Be Happy 😁

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

So you can run MaxiBloom & dry Koolbloom at the same time?

I wasn't sure if it was going to make the NPK ratios way too high if used together.

So is the Jacks Cannabis Blend actually something different than their regular Jacks 321?

I know they have RO/Tap options, but wasn't sure if there was any other real difference.

When I'm looking for Jacks, I see a 25lb bag of the 15-0-0 calcium nitrate for $53 and the main base for like $63, but I'm not seeing any 25lb bag of their magnesium sulfate for the 3rd part.

I know it's just epsom salt, but do they sell a 25lb bag, or do they leave it up to you to source your own or something?

Since I'm doing DWC, I'm really leaning towards just running Jacks as well as some powdered additives from kelp4less:

Kelp
Fulvic Acid
Silica
Enzyme

I was also thinking of adding their:

Amino Acids
B-Vitamins

I'll also be using:

Great White
Cutting Edge Solutions Sour Dee
Mammoth P during bloom
GH Liquid & Dry Koolbloom

I know that hydro can suffer from lack of taste compared to soil, so I was really wanting to try and counter-balance that.

I was originally going to add AN Nirvana, which seems to be a great product & excellent for Hydro. It has humic/fulvic, bat guano, kelp and some aminos and vitamins. But now that I plan on adding pretty much all of things via dry powder, so I figured I could possibly do better with just a straight guano and found Budswel.

From everything I've read, it can successfully be used in hydro/DWC and I know the guano and worm castings really help bring the flavor and richness to the resin during flower.

Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I never used dry Koolbloom, but I think it is supposed to be used the final week or 2 to ripen? You can look up the feed chart on GH's website.

Epsom salt can be bought almost anywhere, I got an 8 lb bag from walmart for 4 dollars or so. To answer your question, yes, you are supposed to source it yourself.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Yes GH suggests using Liquid Koolbloom for week 4-5 and then switch to dry for weeks 6 & 7 and then flush for a week.

I just didn't think I was supposed to run the dry koolbloom and MaxiBloom at the same time since dry Koolbloom NPK is already so high.

I'm also still considering just getting Jacks and adding their Bloom Booster. But I haven't compared that NPK to dry Koolbloom yet.

Anthem

Anthem

Way too much concern with the nutrients. Just pick one of the dry lines and run with it. PK boosters are just another way for the nutrient companies to sell you nutrients and line their pockets with more money.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yes GH suggests using Liquid Koolbloom for week 4-5 and then switch to dry for weeks 6 & 7 and then flush for a week.

I just didn't think I was supposed to run the dry koolbloom and MaxiBloom at the same time since dry Koolbloom NPK is already so high.

I'm also still considering just getting Jacks and adding their Bloom Booster. But I haven't compared that NPK to dry Koolbloom yet.

I don't use any bloom booster, like you said, Maxibloom has more than enough P and K.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Kelp4Less is cheap because they use low quality products i.e. the sodium content in their kelp.

Maxi series is ok, but you pay the hydro store tax, you can't mix it as a concentrate and it is hygroscopic, meaning you could have a brick of fertilizer.

Jack's 3-2-1 is all you need start-to finish and it is inexpensive for how well it performs.

Top Bottom